What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Penrith @ BlueBet Stadium, Penrith / Dharug

Who will win? Round 17: Penrith v Newcastle

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seage

Juniors
It's hard to overstate just how inept and hard to watch we are. As others indicated in here, the listless, turgid dross dished up by the Blues on Wednesday had many considering for the first time whether they could get through to the end of the match without switching off. Tonight felt exactly the same. One side playing poorly, trying nothing and taking a slow and inevitable ride to certain defeat right from the outset made this beyond difficult to watch. Add in Michael Ennis commentary and it is well and truly a punish.

Im sure AOB said some inane, cliched dribble in the presser like 'I thought, we held our gloves up'. Every year this man has apparently been surrounded by more elite help - better credentialed assistant, a football manager with some clue, world-renowned high performance staff, and he still presents a clueless f#ck up with a low ceiling.

I just cannot fathom how the consistently this team under O'Brien gets worse and less creative as the season goes on.

Woody90

Juniors
Didn’t see the game as thankfully I was out but that is basically the worst possible result for us…close loss so AOB can keep turning out the same excuses about it being close and us trying hard (didn’t watch the presser but I’m pretty sure that’s what would have been said).

So many other teams performing shit at the moment too which will take the pressure off him.

There has to be meetings going on regarding his future now. I don't see how this in tenable anymore. Can't we just end this misery? We're as close to the Wests and Souths teams of the 90s as any team is ever going to get in the modern era.
Yep. Remember back in the day when we could look at the draw and mark those teams off as instant wins?

That's basically us now.

mozza91

Coach
There has to be meetings going on regarding his future now. I don't see how this in tenable anymore. Can't we just end this misery? We're as close to the Wests and Souths teams of the 90s as any team is ever going to get in the modern era.
We suck but we’re not even the worst team in the comp currently. Definitely better than those sides, not by a lot though.

perverse

Referee
Absolutely. We’ve accepted mediocrity for too long. But to compare us with some of the worst sides of all time is a tad melodramatic.
I guess I'm looking more long term. Is there a worse team than us over the past 15 years? I think you can make a strong argument that since Johns retired we are the worst team of the modern era - and the frustration is that we still don't seem to be doing much to change that.

Accepting what we're dishing up at the moment, and continuing to do the same stuff that isn't working, is exactly why we're here.

macavity

Referee
Absolutely. We’ve accepted mediocrity for too long. But to compare us with some of the worst sides of all time is a tad melodramatic.

we pretty much are the worst side of all time mate. We went a season winning 2 games, and won 3 spoons in a row. We have been absolute shit for 18 of the past 20 years. If that’s not in the conversation for “worst side of all time” I’m not sure what is.

mozza91

Coach
we pretty much are the worst side of all time mate. We went a season winning 2 games, and won 3 spoons in a row. We have been absolute shit for 18 of the past 20 years. If that’s not in the conversation for “worst side of all time” I’m not sure what is.
I’m talking about the 2023 team obviously as was Perverse. The original statement was over the top.

Considering there’s 2 or 3 blokes remaining from the three spoons in a row including coaches it’s pretty harsh to consider them all part of the same side. Our 2016-2017 side was in the conversation, the current bunch as uninspiring as they, are not.

I guess I'm looking more long term. Is there a worse team than us over the past 15 years? I think you can make a strong argument that since Johns retired we are the worst team of the modern era - and the frustration is that we still don't seem to be doing much to change that.

Accepting what we're dishing up at the moment, and continuing to do the same stuff that isn't working, is exactly why we're here.
Wests are worse I reckon. It's the only conselation I have.

perverse

Referee
I’m talking about the 2023 team obviously as was Perverse. The original statement was over the top.

Considering there’s 2 or 3 blokes remaining from the three spoons in a row including coaches it’s pretty harsh to consider them all part of the same side. Our 2016-2017 side was in the conversation, the current bunch as uninspiring as they, are not.
I mean, I let my sentiment of following this team for the past 2 decades colour my perception of the disgusting rot I'm witnessing on the field currently yeah. But what does it matter? It's shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic to argue semantics on this one. I'd rather be hyperbolic than complacent and accept it.

We're shit. We're really shit, and on yet another downward trajectory with the current status quo. If it makes you feel better no, the current bunch of bludgers isn't the worst squad in history. They're a bottom 4 team at just about any time in the modern era though. There's zero hunger or belief there. They're not even playing to their own limited potential. For mine, it's the job of the coach to at least get the most out of what he has. AOB has never been able to do that, even when we reached the lofty heights of 7th to fizzle with a whimper week 1 of the finals.

One game actually! 😄

Tigers

Not making the finals since 2011