What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 25 vs Souths @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 25: Newcastle v Souths

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
Get some Phoen into ya!!

May be an image of 3 people and text

Old dog

Bench
Was out today, watched replay very happy with result and all round effort of the team. Not a bad performance from anyone with some much better than others, Ponga, Gagai, Best, Marzhew, Gamble, Clune, Both Safs, Thompson, Friz, Fitz, Elliott, Crossland and yes even Mann we’re in the better section.

Reflector

Juniors
Jesus, can we get the Saifitis that shredded?
I found out just last week that a girl I work with was driving in Newie with her friends one night when she saw this guy she liked the look of walking along the street. She stopped by to pick him up, nailed him later that night and then (the next morning after he added her on Insta) discovered it was Phoenix. So this photo has now etched un-erasable thoughts of that tryst into my brain.

Thanks a lot.

perverse

Referee
I found out just last week that a girl I work with was driving in Newie with her friends one night when she saw this guy she liked the look of walking along the street. She stopped by to pick him up, nailed him later that night and then (the next morning after he added her on Insta) discovered it was Phoenix. So this photo has now etched un-erasable thoughts of that tryst into my brain.

Thanks a lot.
No no, thank you for sharing this story that I definitely didn't need.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Crossland has worked himself into a credible dummy half once his hands went to the ball instead of the appeal position.

That was a great win. Souths came out of the blocks firing and Cook was great all day but we were way too good for them.

Giving Obi a huge shout out. The sheer improvement we’ve seen from Gamble, Crossland, Thompson and even guys like Fitzy and Marzhew has been remarkable. Especially Gamble I was so wrong about him. Thought he was a park footballer with a short fuse but he’s been as good as any 5/8 in the game the last few months.

Safs seemed really fired up today and were great. That could be last piece of the puzzle to becoming a top side. Our attack is top shelf and the scramble and line speed today was up there aswell.

Lost my voice at the game but don’t give a shit. Loving this team right now!
Good post.

We've been waiting to see genuine improvement from the players you mentioned (or any players) under AOB and this is the measure of his success. We haven't really seen it until now. We didn't see it under any coach for a long time. Makes me wonder what suddenly changed tbh...

Safs did indeed look fired up for the game. The gulf between their worst and best is massive and it's all based around their own personal drive and mindset. Have to find a way to keep them angry and motivated.

Also lost my voice at the game lol

mozza91

Coach
I wonder if Kalyn wins the Dally like an RKO out of nowhere. But he’ll have to get over the Phoenix first!
Johnson deserves it. Can see KP getting FB of the year and cracking the top 5 though. Should have some nominations for a fair few of the positional awards which is a nice change.

Apey

Staff member
Remember when one of our biggest problems was that we couldn't get our outside backs any decent ball?

Best having his best season, Marzhew 18 tries, Dom 20 tries and Gagai going well too. That's probably my favourite improvement in this team.

Matches second longest winning streak according to Bing.
"Hello, this is Bing. I can help you find information about the Newcastle Knights, a professional rugby league club based in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. According to my web search results, the Newcastle Knights' longest winning streak is **11 games**, which they achieved from **25 August 2001 to 19 April 2002**¹. They also won the premiership in 2001, defeating the Parramatta Eels in the grand final¹. The Knights have recently matched their second-longest winning streak of **seven games**, which they also accomplished in 1995 and 1997². They defeated the South Sydney Rabbitohs 29-10 on Sunday, August 20, 2023, with winger Greg Marzhew scoring a first half hat-trick and fullback Kalyn Ponga producing an attacking masterclass².

Source: Conversation with Bing, 8/20/2023
(1) List of Newcastle Knights records - Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newcastle_Knights_records.
(2) NRL 2023, Match Report, Newcastle Knights, South Sydney Rabbitohs .... https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/08/20/mitchell-marched-as-knights-make-it-seven-straight/.

Edit: it's wrong according to the link though. We've done 9 in a row.

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Bench
Johnson deserves it. Can see KP getting FB of the year and cracking the top 5 though. Should have some nominations for a fair few of the positional awards which is a nice change.
I have never seen a form reversal in my life like we are witnessing from him. 12 try assists in 7 games.

Nuke

Staff member
I thought our start to 1995 was 9 in a row?
I say this without fact checking, mind you..!