What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 25 vs Souths @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 25: Newcastle v Souths

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
As usual we are getting destroyed in the middle early. God it shits me.
Happened the last two weeks. Impressed we've managed to turn it around both times. It's not going to help against the better teams though.

Yosh

Coach
Happened the last two weeks. Impressed we've managed to turn it around both times. It's not going to help against the better teams though.

I don't know about destroyed through the middle. They scored off a trick play from the scrum and the other was a big man running over Clune. Cook made some metres through the middle but he was the only one. We saw Marzhew, Thompson, Saifiti and some others just run through their middle for a clean break or 15 metres post contact metres fairly often. I would have said we won the middle today.

perverse

Referee
I don't know about destroyed through the middle. They scored off a trick play from the scrum and the other was a big man running over Clune. Cook made some metres through the middle but he was the only one. We saw Marzhew, Thompson, Saifiti and some others just run through their middle for a clean break or 15 metres post contact metres fairly often. I would have said we won the middle today.
It's more about the metres they were making. In the first half the Bunnies only completed at like 50% or less even, and still almost made as many metres as we did. This just should not happen. We're winning in spite of our middles, not because of them. Although I will say that they're holding up their end in defence, so it's not all bad. Still, we're not going to beat the Broncos or Penrith with numbers like that. We'll spend all game defending our line.

mozza91

Coach
That was a great win. Souths came out of the blocks firing and Cook was great all day but we were way too good for them.

Giving Obi a huge shout out. The sheer improvement we’ve seen from Gamble, Crossland, Thompson and even guys like Fitzy and Marzhew has been remarkable. Especially Gamble I was so wrong about him. Thought he was a park footballer with a short fuse but he’s been as good as any 5/8 in the game the last few months.

Safs seemed really fired up today and were great. That could be last piece of the puzzle to becoming a top side. Our attack is top shelf and the scramble and line speed today was up there aswell.

Lost my voice at the game but don’t give a shit. Loving this team right now!

Apey

Staff member
Perverse was talking about the start to the game. We did the same against the Dogs, they were all over us. Glad we've turned around it both times but it's going to be problematic against better teams.

perverse

Referee
Tickets for next week already down to single seats on lower sides, GA sold out.
Two sell outs back to back? Do I even know this club?
Most believable part of this run to be honest. 7 on the trot and screaming red hot into the finals? Newcastle will always respond to that. I think there's a real sense that we could put ourselves in the frame to do something special and scare a few teams in the finals at the moment.

Ponga is in top-tier elite level form right now, and it's not unheard of for a team to ride a purple patch like that deep into the finals. I dunno where we end up this year, but it's exciting to watch. I can see a lot of neutral supporters jumping on the bandwagon over the next couple of weeks too if we keep it up.

Latest posts