What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Raiders @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 3: Raiders v Knights

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight76

Juniors
It's a 25 round season and we are 3 rounds in. Calling for Browns head is an over reaction.

But, how long does he persist with Ponga at 5/8 that isn't working. Our attack so far has looked horrid.

We are reverting to one out stuff as that is base footy, no game plan just run the forwards up and build a platform. We revert to it when we are behind the game and not really in it.

With pearce and Ponga in the halves it is clear Pearce does not see he has ownership of the Knights strategy and playmaking, and Ponga is not up to being the lead half and managing the game. It's not working.

Ponga needs to go back to FB where he can pick when to get involved, he can hang back a bit and assess the defense and where the opportunities are anywhere they are on the field. At 5/8 teams can target him a lot more.

What concerns me the most, is the lack of commitment from the team. They are not turning up on game day to battle the opposition and get over them, instead they are rolling up expecting to just dominate as we have Klemmer, and destroy them in attack as we have Ponga. Thats a dangerous attitude to have.

Spot On

Coach
... and many have expressed that.

For some reason there are now 4 posts calling for people not to overreact yet they have sensationalised the topic by suggesting people want Brown sacked right now.

That's simply gelati.

perverse

Referee
I don't think the time to freak out has come yet. Our defence has definitely improved, our attack has gone backwards. How much of that is attributable to KP at 5/8 remains to be seen. If we're to believe what we're told - that was a change Kalyn wanted to make. It seems like that experiment will be coming to an end, and I'm glad. I've always felt that move was years too early. He may end up there at the back end of his career, but it seems wasteful to not have his broken field running in play as much as possible, not to mention giving him more depth and time with the ball in attack.

I think one of the biggest factors for us at the moment is Pearce's form tbh. It's pretty dreadful. I wonder if the burden of captaincy is too heavy, or whether it's just not gelling with KP? One or two repeat sets and some better direction and I think we beat both the Panthers and Canberra, even playing as poorly as we have

It's early days, let's see where we're at by round 6-8. I think we'll cope a lot better once we have Dan back. It's a shame Herman's head isn't in the game right now. The most worrying sign for me is that we've been out-enthused the past 2 starts - and that's across the board.

Pedge1971

First Grade
... and many have expressed that.

For some reason there are now 4 posts calling for people not to overreact yet they have sensationalised the topic by suggesting people want Brown sacked right now.

That's simply gelati.

So no one in this thread has called the bloke shit and said he cannot coach?

Assume this is an expression of confidence in him because any club would want someone shit that cannot coach at the helm right?

Sounds like the old full support of the board line. Gelati indeed.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The everything's fine crew think everything's fine.

Dont think many are saying everything is fine.

But maybe a few did not think the a team with a lot of new players would be world beaters after 3 rounds.

Am as frustrated as you, the last 4 or so years have stunk.

Brown is copping it from Facebook trolls. Even though we have our differences here at times, the level of understanding of the game and the team here is way beyond those tools. Brown accepted in the post conference interview that he'd need to look at both the approaches of the staff and the team .

Klemmer has also copped it on FB. He'll have his ups and downs as he has throughout his career. His post contact last night was impressive. We were too shallow in attack for much else and the commitment and energy from the team in general was low.

Spot On

Coach
So no one in this thread has called the bloke shit and said he cannot coach?

Assume this is an expression of confidence in him because any club would want someone shit that cannot coach at the helm right?

Sounds like the old full support of the board line. Gelati indeed.

... and the spin continues.

Spin it any way you would like but not once has anyone typed that Brown must be 'sacked' now. Right now after 3 rounds.

Unless I've missed them??? No one can find them though.

If you'd like to change the conversation as to whether some are fans of Brown's coaching style and results so far then just say so. Start a new thread on it and you'll get plenty of feedback.

Are you a big fan of his coaching style and results?

You never answered some of the questions I asked you re Canberra being a top 8 side or us being a top 8 side. What's your thoughts there?

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
I think our squad looks fantastic on paper. We just need to work on some combinations in attack and we will be sweet.

If we do sack Brown, who would come anyway?

Pedge1971

First Grade
... and the spin continues.

Spin it any way you would like but not once has anyone typed that Brown must be 'sacked' now. Right now after 3 rounds.

Unless I've missed them??? No one can find them though.

If you'd like to change the conversation as to whether some are fans of Brown's coaching style and results so far then just say so. Start a new thread on it and you'll get plenty of feedback.

Are you a big fan of his coaching style and results?

I think he has done a great job under shitty circumstances that not many would have taken on. He now has the team he finally wants so he has to prove himself. I am willing to give him more than 3 games.

I dont need to start a new thread, if you dont like it thats fine. Its why we have forums like this.

Spot On

Coach
I think he has done a great job under shitty circumstances that not many would have taken on. He now has the team he finally wants so he has to prove himself. I am willing to give him more than 3 games.

I dont need to start a new thread, if you dont like it thats fine. Its why we have forums like this.

I never said anything about liking it or disliking it.

Why do you suggest shit that no one has literally written???

Do you think both Canberra and Newcastle have top 8 teams on paper?

Again, I have not read comments from one person suggesting Brown should not get one more game as coach.

Will you like it if some start writing Brown needs to go if we lose next week or will we refer to your post above about stuff written you might not like???

It's fair to say a few in here don't like what is being written about Brown's coaching ability. I suggest they take your sensible advice and understand that it is a forum ... and that's why we have it!

Last edited:
Overall stats:
42% possession

70% completion rate

83.8% effective tackle rate

"157
The amount of metres made by David Klemmer.
He was the top metre eater for the Knights in Friday’s loss to Canberra.

He had 61 metres post-contact which was the highest for the Knights.

The number of tackles made by Danny Levi.

He topped the count for the Knights, although David Klemmer was close behind with 40."
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/03/29/numbers-big-unit-stands-tall-ramien-runs-riot/

Spot On

Coach
Anyone having a crack at klemmer should book an appointment with the optometrist

Everyone has been crying out for this type of player and we get one but it still not good enough for some.

Those critical of him were probably supporting Kade Snowden for years on end.

FFS.