What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Illusion

Bench
Hook is losing me won't sign Duff our only attack by far but continues to talking up his halves ( Norman ) I must be seeing something else ....

Phantom V

Juniors
PV: any word as to why Hook was unhappy?

Too many try assists?
Mucking up his supercoach points?
Exactly! I know he’s got issues with his defence and the odd high ball but I don’t see any other options at the moment and he’s our best attacking player by a mile.

My only conclusion is that Hook must have someone else in mind for next year. If not, then we may have to start another sack the coach forum :weary:

Valley

Juniors
Catch 22 situation, i think Hook and crew have earmarked Sloan as the future fullback, he isnt ready to play a full season at fullback in 1st grade yet, Ramsey Im not sure where they see him fulltime but i dont think its wing, in the meantime, i would say they would sign Dufty(he would want 3 year deal at least)for a season and hope after that Sloan is ready by 2023, young players not ready yet, older players not good enough..

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Hook is losing me won't sign Duff our only attack by far but continues to talking up his halves ( Norman ) I must be seeing something else ....

I'm still a fan and trust his decision making, but I thought he should have put Ramsey straight to fullback when Dufty came off. Instead he puts Bird to fullback and Feagai in the centres, and Hynes ran circles around him. Thought it showed that he doesn't trust Ramsey at the back yet

Illusion

Bench
I'm still a fan and trust his decision making, but I thought he should have put Ramsey straight to fullback when Dufty came off. Instead he puts Bird to fullback and Feagai in the centres, and Hynes ran circles around him. Thought it showed that he doesn't trust Ramsey at the back yet
Im a fan also but not when he continues to see good in Norman .....

Anon

Bench
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/0c1449b5345d02bafe15c090f60edb83

And in good news for the club, Matt Dufty could make his return as early as next week with scans on his injured shoulder revealed he did not need surgery. The fullback will miss Friday’s clash against the Sharks but depending on how his AC joint settles he could return as early as St George Illwarra’s round 12 clash against the Tigers.

Spazer

Juniors
PV: any word as to why Hook was unhappy?
He doesn't like the sideways style of play, he prefers to use dufty as a support runner in the middle. now that I look back Griffin did look annoyed after dufty's cut out pass to rav.

Don't know why he can't have dufty do both as he is capable. Anyway, great news regarding his injury but I wouldn't play him too soon.

possm

Coach
Exactly! I know he’s got issues with his defence and the odd high ball but I don’t see any other options at the moment and he’s our best attacking player by a mile.

My only conclusion is that Hook must have someone else in mind for next year. If not, then we may have to start another sack the coach forum :weary:
The Club must improve the top 17 in readiness for Griffin's final year of his contract. If not Griffin will be gone and maybe Dean Young makes his return to the Dragons as head coach.

I'd be looking to have Bennett as head coach in 2023 rather than put up with the Young rubbish again.

Illusion

Bench
The Club must improve the top 17 in readiness for Griffin's final year of his contract. If not Griffin will be gone and maybe Dean Young makes his return to the Dragons as head coach.

I'd be looking to have Bennett as head coach in 2023 rather than put up with the Young rubbish again.
Its a no for me with Bennett he isn't the good guy everyone thinks he is ..... I think he will end up at Bronx thats why he helped Reynolds get there ...

possm

Coach
Its a no for me with Bennett he isn't the good guy everyone thinks he is ..... I think he will end up at Bronx thats why he helped Renalds get there ...
I thought the new second Brisbane team had lined him up to coach there starting in 2024. That's why I suggested him for the Dragons in 2023 if Griffin is given the boot.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
I thought the new second Brisbane team had lined him up to coach there starting in 2024. That's why I suggested him for the Dragons in 2023 if Griffin is given the boot.

The second Brisbane team is meant to enter the competition in 2023. If Bennett is linked to one of the three bids, he will start working with them in 2022 you would think.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Bennett will be at the Dolphins if they get the nod as the 2nd brisbane team.....

TruSaint

Referee
Why Ramsey's shot at fullback could influence Dufty's future

Dragons players have backed Cody Ramsey's move to the No.1 jersey and the club’s recruitment of former New Zealand centre Gerard Beale after losing fullback Matt Dufty with a shoulder injury and four others to suspension.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin shifted former NSW Origin representative Jack Bird from centre to fullback after Dufty was forced from the field during last weekend’s 34-18 loss to Melbourne but he has chosen to give Ramsey his chance in the role against Cronulla on Friday night.

With Ramsey preferring to play fullback over wing and the Dragons also having teen star Tyrell Sloan in their squad, the performance of the 21-year-old may have an influence on the long term future of Dufty, who is off contract at the end of the season.

"I think it is a good opportunity and it is good for the club to see what we have got in Cody Ramsey," St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt said.

"He trained a lot there during the pre-season, and played a bit in trial games and had flashes of excitement, so I think it is a good opportunity to really see what he has got."

Bird, who will remain at left centre with Max Feagai on the wing, said the Dragons would miss Dufty but team-mates had confidence in Ramsey.

"It is just next man-up mentality," Bird said. "I am pretty sure Cody has always wanted to play fullback and this is his opportunity."

"Duft is going to be a massive loss for us, he is a great player and a great fullback, and he brings something different to our team but it is his [Ramsey’s] opportunity to show what he can do."

Griffin has resisted the temptation to rush Beale into the starting line-up after he flew from Brisbane on Tuesday afternoon to join the Dragons ahead of the local derby at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

Beale was signed for the rest of 2021 on a training contract, eight months after announcing his NRL retirement from a 194-game NRL career that saw him start under Griffin in Brisbane's under 20s.

Beale, who had been playing for Brisbane Tigers in the QRL's Intrust Super Cup, previously played for St George Illawarra in 2013-14 before joining Cronulla, where he played alongside Bird in the club's 2016 premiership-winning team.

“I was here with him at the Dragons and we went to the Sharks together so I am pretty close friends with Bealey," Bird said.

"I learned a lot off him at the Sharks and he was definitely someone I looked up to. I am sure he can do a job for us and I am looking forward to playing with him again."

remote.axd

Dragons finish with a long-range effort to Ramsey

Dragons finish with a long-range effort to Ramsey

The decision to sign Beale, who was named in the 21-man squad for the Cronulla clash, came after talks with Wests Tigers player Moses Mbye fell over.

Griffin is understood to have met with Mbye last month after he was granted permission by the Tigers to speak with rival clubs for 2022, despite being under contract for one more season.

With hooker/lock Cameron McInnes ruled out for the season with a knee injury and a lack of depth in the centres, Griffin was looking to sign a utility player who can cover most positions in the backline and dummy half.

However, discussions with Mybe are believed to have stalled as the Tigers did not want to release him for this season and the Dragons baulked at his price tag if they were to sign him on a longer-term deal.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/18/dragons-eye-recruits--but-mybe-off-radar/

Gareth67

First Grade
It’s taken me some time however after watching Duffy set up those tries with such accurate long range passing ( in yet another match ) perhaps he may be better suited to the five eighth position as many other members have been saying for some time now.

I mean look at what we have now at 5/8 and that particular individual’s inability to set up tries - let alone kick conversions ( without any pressure whatsoever ) and the dopey bluudy sod still misses them .

Anyway I am attempting to forget Sunday’s catastrophe and move on and looking at what we can do with our remaining troops . So I wish the Duffman a very speedy recovery and sincerely hope that he suffers no long term damage to his shoulder /elbow .

BBTB

Juniors
It’s taken me some time however after watching Duffy set up those tries with such accurate long range passing ( in yet another match ) perhaps he may be better suited to the five eighth position as many other members have been saying for some time now.

I mean look at what we have now at 5/8 and that particular individual’s inability to set up tries - let alone kick conversions ( without any pressure whatsoever ) and the dopey bluudy sod still misses them .

Anyway I am attempting to forget Sunday’s catastrophe and move on and looking at what we can do with our remaining troops . So I wish the Duffman a very speedy recovery and sincerely hope that he suffers no long term damage to his shoulder /elbow .
Norman is the biggest fraud, in our team. And has a massive attitude problem.
I would not let him anywhere near or young players.

Gareth67

First Grade
Norman is the biggest fraud, in our team. And has a massive attitude problem.
I would not let him anywhere near or young players.

Without a doubt. I recall last season when Cody Ramsey gave Norman the final pass which gave him - Norman a clear passage to the line and a try with it . Ramsey had done all the lead up work by scooting pass a number of defenders and gifting Norman with a 4 pointer .

Ramsey was the first there to congratulate him , but Norman shrugged him off with a look that would had killed off any mother in law .

Ramsey’s face went from joy to being sullen in moments - nothing more than pure jealousy on Norman’s behalf . A shocking display of gratitude from one teammate to another , especially one so young in what was Ramsey’s first or second game .

Normans contract should be placed in the change room toilet and flushed away as quickly as possible .

Last edited:

Spazer

Juniors
^Nah I remember it was the knights game last year when ramsey went to high five him but norman wasn't trying to brush him off, he is very nonchalant whenever he scores a try so I can definitely see why it looked that way

Latest posts