What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Elliot gone!?

mxlegend99

Referee
Matt Elliott won't get sacked.

Our club is too f*cking stupid for that. They will give him one last chance and he will probably end up being fired 8 to 10 weeks into next season when we've lost 75% of our games and have a massive negative points differential.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Matt Elliott won't get sacked.

Our club is too f*cking stupid for that. They will give him one last chance and he will probably end up being fired 8 to 10 weeks into next season when we've lost 75% of our games and have a massive negative points differential.

MX you have it all wrong mate. This is how it will go.

1. We will win 9 of 10 to start the season next year.

2. Matthew Elliott will be re-singed for a further 3 years

3. We will then proceed to lost 15 0f the next 16 games and collect the wooden spoon:lol:

Coastal Panther

Juniors
MX you have it all wrong mate. This is how it will go.

1. We will win 9 of 10 to start the season next year.

2. Matthew Elliott will be re-singed for a further 3 years

3. We will then proceed to lost 15 0f the next 16 games and collect the wooden spoon

Close...

I see the other side of the coin...

We profess faith in Elliott and keep him; lose the first three and then sack him.

Either yours way or mine, we support a dense football team.

Coastal Panther

Juniors
Surely it would be more than just player discontent, seeing as those discontent players are moving on now.

No he has a lot more to answer for.

Elliott has been in the unenviable position of Panthers coach for 2 years.. I understand that somehow expectations are high but I didn't see our player list as a legitimate top 8 team this year. Elliott inherited an aging team with minimal payroll flexibility. We are old and generally poor at key positions and we have had minimal salary cap room with which to address this.

Blooding youngsters in key positions to see what we have was a really nice move. Like 2002 (when we finished with the wooden spoon), it was good to see what the talent level of our young players was. Those young players were the cornerstone of the 2003 tilt.

Elliott is a victim of unreasonable expectations and unreasonable assumptions about how good we are. He has been thinking of a long-term (3 year?) rebuild since day one.

As for the rumours that he is an asshat to players, I have not much to say in his defense. I believe very little that comes from players, media so....

Coastal Panther

Juniors
Oops... excitable.

The pattern is complete
2001 (Wooden Spoon), 2002 (12th), 2003 (1st)
2007 (Wooden Spoon), 2008 (12th), 2009 (1st).

Except, you know... that's probably not gonna happen.

mxlegend99

Referee
Don't use the roster as an excuse for Matt Elliott. Matt Elliott picked the team each week. That was his own fault... all season that fans have stated he wasn't picking the best team.

The fact is he picked these players every week even though they weren't getting the job done. It's great that he got rid of most of the bludgers... he just needs to quit (so we don't have to pay him out) and then everything will fall into place.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Elliott has been in the unenviable position of Panthers coach for 2 years.. I understand that somehow expectations are high but I didn't see our player list as a legitimate top 8 team this year. Elliott inherited an aging team with minimal payroll flexibility. We are old and generally poor at key positions and we have had minimal salary cap room with which to address this.

He gains Petero - which has been the buy of the year. They have been harping on the minimal payroll flexibility for about 4 years now. It no longer becomes an excuse.

What happened to the halves?

Who will be our halves next season under Elliott?

As a fan I want answers to this question.
Under Elliott we have let go Gower, Wallace and Williams.
He isnt a fan of Sammut, that is obvious to all.
And the Wade Graham and Lewis combination isnt working.

bigfoot

Juniors
Apparently we won't hear the results of this meeting till 3pm.
What's the bet that they'll release a statement scheduling another meeting? :lol:

Last edited:

Coastal Panther

Juniors
He gains Petero - which has been the buy of the year. They have been harping on the minimal payroll flexibility for about 4 years now. It no longer becomes an excuse.

What happened to the halves?

Who will be our halves next season under Elliott?

As a fan I want answers to this question.
Under Elliott we have let go Gower, Wallace and Williams.
He isnt a fan of Sammut, that is obvious to all.
And the Wade Graham and Lewis combination isnt working.

Payroll flexibility has been a problem for a long time. The contracts that impinged upon our payroll flexibility are not only dumb, but LONG as well. This year it should be up. Though knowing us, we will make some great decisions like throwing $400K at another winger or offering to take the Asotasi contract off Souths' hads.

We let go of Gower because he was paid like a premium player for about 2 years longer than he was a premium player.

Wallace... that was a blunder. I don't know if that was Elliot's decision though. I thought the front office re-signed players.

Is Sammut really the answer? Graham has been impressive given age and experience. You need to look at guys like that during seasons like this. Lewis is not a half.

You seem to have a lot of questions about who we should be signing/playing. So do I. I merely think that they are better directed at the front office, not Elliott.

Coastal Panther

Juniors
Given some of the guys he unearthed in the halves at Canberra, I tend to think he knows best there...

If he didn't pick some of the U/20s etc... it may just be that he didn't think that they were that good. He picked a 17 year old in the halves so it can't be said that he didn't experiment.

*Sandy*

First Grade
You seem to have a lot of questions about who we should be signing/playing. So do I. I merely think that they are better directed at the front office, not Elliott.

I was under the impression that the front office would be under advice from the current coach considering he would be the one who would be accountable at the end of the year.

Coastal Panther

Juniors
I was of the opinion that the front office makes a lot of decisions independently.

Certainly the decision on what to offer a player would not be a decision the coach has any say in. If the coach does have a say, then the club is in worse straights than I thought. Surely someone with some more financial/statistical background should be making those decisions.

In saying that, if Elliot was behind letting Gower and setting a reasonable cap on what we offered Wallace, I am cool with that as well.

Latest posts