What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne must still be cheating the cap

Fingerbang

Bench
Selective memory Butters? I seem to recall your boys getting done by the 14th placed Raiders when they were the 16th placed Raiders....at your home ground too.

Butters

Bench
And since then Melbourne have rocketed to the top of the ladder while the other supposed top sides have struggled to compete with lower placed teams.

Fingerbang

Bench
And since then Melbourne have rocketed to the top of the ladder while the other supposed top sides have struggled to compete with lower placed teams.
Oh....so only Storm can turn their form around after a shock loss to Raiders? Ok....:roll:

Butters

Bench
Never said that. St Merge could go on and finish the regular season without another loss, i'm just commenting on the past round friend.

POPEYE

Coach
My god you're a f*cking stupid old man. There's nothing remotely 'illegitimate' or 'unworthy' about the Dragons premiership last year champ, the only people who think so are ignoring reality, e.g Butters.
You need to up your meds, your nurse obviously isn't doing their job properly.

You're a pushover you twerp . . . isn't there a redneck out there that can make me break into a sweat.

Don't all you genuine conversationalists out there take any notice of what I do to these blokes . . . they started it.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Facts aren't always as glamorous as you make out. The Dragons are yet to win a 'premiership' when the Storm were eligible. Worth about as much credence as stripping them of their premierships.

If the video ref had of been in existence since 1980 there would have been record books unrecognisable to those of today.

If the salary cap had of been around for the same time nowhere near as much effect would have been inflicted on the records because few managements have been as ignorant in their paperwork as that of Melbourne.

All that aside I'll give you some real facts. Very few supporters would bother remembering who won which 'grand final' unless it was their team and only the same would give a shit.

Every Melbourne supporter has no problem recognising their team won what they did on the field and justifying how they did it, no matter who rants and raves about it.

The Melbourne Storm won because they were the best team in the same way that Parramatta, Brisbane, Manly, Canberra and the Dogs did when at their best . . . they had the better players.

Your "real facts" leave much to be desired. Deflection and chest-puffing aside, you have no substantial answer to my point.

POPEYE

Coach
Your "real facts" leave much to be desired. Deflection and chest-puffing aside, you have no substantial answer to my point.

That's because there is no excuse for breaking the rules no matter how archaic and shortsighted they are.

Surely you can't expect me to argue innocence with my client getting his hand caught in the till.

All that is left is to a bargain a plea on the grounds of compassion, extenuating circumstances and the fact that Melbourne is the best thing to happen to the game this century.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
That's because there is no excuse for breaking the rules no matter how archaic and shortsighted they are.

Surely you can't expect me to argue innocence with my client getting his hand caught in the till.

All that is left is to a bargain a plea on the grounds of compassion, extenuating circumstances and the fact that Melbourne is the best thing to happen to the game this century.

Oh good, I was worried that fantasy was taking you a bit too far away from reality.....:roll:

LESStar58

Referee
In some ways its a shame that melbourne did cheat....... Cause its no doubt that they would have had a great shot at a dynasty even if they had of let the hoffmans and inglis's go (as you can see this season)

Im not a Melbourne supporter at all, but you have to appreciate how good Bellamy is at turning youngsters/journeyman/nobodys into genuine nrl players.

But melbourne did cheat, and therefore you pay the consequences.

The 13th Commandment is "Thou shalt not get caught"

Agreed. And they have.

The biggest shit of it all is, in my opinion, we didn't bloody have to!

POPEYE

Coach
SALARY CAP: Designed to prevent rich clubs from poaching players from a club which, due to lack of funds, has had to create it's own good players from scratch.

INEPT ADMINISTRATION: An organisation that instead of rewarding clubs for initiating greatness persists in promoting mediocracy by following the easiest path of level-pegging at the bottom of the scale.

CHEATING: Depriving a club of players that have been nurtured to greatness by that club.

SELF PRESERVATION: After being given a task that seemed insurmountable and asking no more than the right to keep what it produced a club fights it's way to greatness.

SUMMARY: All the grandstanding, whinging, hypocracy, lunacy and just plain jealousy is not going to stop Melbourne's self-efficacy.

Go out and find a great coach, establish a culture with camaraderie and get on with it

bottle

Coach
These are your definitions uniquely tweaked and designed to meet your agenda.
The more accurate representation of the salary cap would be a as a vehicle that has a number of intentions including but not limited to -
1) Preventing poaching
2) Preventing player HOARDING, that is, to allow for an even sharing of talent
3) Preventing clubs from going under by overextending themselves

When you understand the range of outcomes that a salary cap is designed to achieve you can see how damaging salary cap cheating is TO THE GAME as a whole. More damaging than the Cheats suffering from relative lack of success for a period of time in a hostile market. The integrity of the game, and its main stakeholders, is the bigger issue.
There are plenty of people anti Salary Cap. If you're one of them, just come out and state it. We'll disagree on it, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. But to try and bastardise the definition and intent of the instrument to suit your own purposes is simply polluting the argument. The salary cap is not a narrowly defined blunt instrument supposedly to be used only to prevent poaching developed talent, be it local juniors or imported youth.

thorson1987

Coach
Spot on bottle.

I'm getting sick of people trying to make excuses for what the club did.

We cheated, we got punished.

End of story

POPEYE

Coach
These are your definitions uniquely tweaked and designed to meet your agenda.
The more accurate representation of the salary cap would be a as a vehicle that has a number of intentions including but not limited to -
1) Preventing poaching
2) Preventing player HOARDING, that is, to allow for an even sharing of talent
3) Preventing clubs from going under by overextending themselves

When you understand the range of outcomes that a salary cap is designed to achieve you can see how damaging salary cap cheating is TO THE GAME as a whole. More damaging than the Cheats suffering from relative lack of success for a period of time in a hostile market. The integrity of the game, and its main stakeholders, is the bigger issue.
There are plenty of people anti Salary Cap. If you're one of them, just come out and state it. We'll disagree on it, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. But to try and bastardise the definition and intent of the instrument to suit your own purposes is simply polluting the argument. The salary cap is not a narrowly defined blunt instrument supposedly to be used only to prevent poaching developed talent, be it local juniors or imported youth.

Now, that's a good post . . . well done. You didn't have to resort to name-calling to get my attention.

I agree with everything you are saying if applied in a perfect world. I just harp on the subject because it is imperative that people know that just because Melbourne got caught doesn't mean that's the end of it.

There are so many ways to reward a player for loyalty that are undetectable that it is a fallacy to say anyone is squeaky clean. My attempt at justifying the situation is out of frustration.

If you can convince a player that he has achieved what he has because his club gave him the best chance to do so he will feel there is a debt owing.

No matter how much he wants to stay with the club he has to consider his future and family. It has to be remembered that the Storm players in question didn't know much about the world outside their club.

They were not shanghaied, railroaded, coerced or taken from a disadvantaged club. This may seem theatrical but they are extenuating circumstances in the greater scheme of things.

If my grandstanding on the subject adds another to the voice of reason in regard to allowing clubs a concession for players bred not bought then I'll keep flying the flag.

You are right in your assessment of the facts and I feel right in calling for change which I do partly through cynicism.