What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Rebels in $1m bid for Billy Slater & Israel Folau

Simo

First Grade
sorry if this has been discussed, but wasnt there a press release like a week or 2 ago saying the aru would not spend stupid money on league players anymore?

Brutus

Referee
The Broncos will make a play for one of the big Storm four with Folau gone.

I reckon Billy is the one they'll go hard for.

On top of that, there's Civoniceva and Tate most probably coming back to the club.

Noa

First Grade
Broncos would be happy. Folau only turns up for a few runs per game. Great talent just needs to get more involved.

Imo if you sign a marquee center you design plays to get him the ball in areas he'll thrive, dont expect him to go looking for it all the time.

Thats not what you paid him for.

Noa

First Grade
The Broncos will make a play for one of the big Storm four with Folau gone.

I reckon Billy is the one they'll go hard for.

On top of that, there's Civoniceva and Tate most probably coming back to the club.

Most Storm fans dont want to hear it but I think that is the most likely scenario if we lose a big 4 player.

JW

Coach
Broncos resigned to losing Israel Folau to Melbourne Rebels
Karl deKroo From: The Courier-Mail April 28, 2010 12:00AM

THE Brisbane Broncos concede Israel Folau will almost certainly walk out on the club at season's end and could be sacrificing up to $500,000 to stay in rugby league.

The strike centre has until Friday to decide whether he will take up a two-year option to remain at Red Hill.

But Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen admitted he was increasingly nervous about the club's prospects of retaining Folau as he weighed up a huge offer to join fledgling Super rugby franchise the Melbourne Rebels.

"You are always nervous when they haven't signed and if the offer is anywhere near the vicinity of where is being speculated we are obviously going to struggle," Cullen said on Tuesday night.

"It would be very disappointing to lose him. But I am quite sure that Israel hasn't lied to us. When we have spoken to him all the way through I believe he was genuine when he said to us that he loved rugby league and really enjoyed being at the Broncos and wanted to stay.

This offer has come along in the past few days and it will be difficult for him to ignore.

"We understand it is a substantial offer and what do you say to a young kid who has the chance to make quite extraordinary amounts of money at such an early stage of his career?"

It is thought the Rebels offer could be up to $800,000 a season, with the Australian Rugby Union's contribution to be propped up by third-party arrangements.

Following Karmichael Hunt's shock defection to the new AFL side on the Gold Coast last year, the loss of Folau, who has scored six tries in five games this season, would rip a massive hole in the Broncos backline.

Cullen also vehemently denied speculation that Folau's Broncos contract had been supplemented by a $200,000 "off the table" cash injection provided by high-profile supporters group the Thoroughbreds.

"I am quite sure, and I have investigated these rumours, that they are simply not true," Cullen said.

Reds fullback Peter Hynes on Tuesday said he could understand the Rebels' big-money play for Folau.

"He's a big, powerful guy with unbelievable aerial work and he already has the profile in Melbourne," Hynes said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...melbourne-rebels/story-e6frep5x-1225859046658

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slater won't go - he come to Rugby League from Union because he found union boring and wanted a change.
you got a source?

Furthermore, hows about reading the last few posts.

People were suggesting Slater would go to the Broncos in Brisbane.

Last time I checked the Brisbane Broncos was a rugby league side, furthermore, the Rugby Union team based in Brisbane is called the Reds.

aussies1st

Staff member
Well Folau wanted to go back to Melbourne, with the crisis the Storm are under they weren't going to be an option.

I don't know if it was posted in here but Slater, Cronk, Inglis and Smith don't want to play against each other so its unlikely they will shift to another NRL club.

gronkathon

First Grade
Don't care what Israel does.

One of the guys in this generation who have been on really decent coin for a fair period of time and still whining about their bottom line.

Even if the salary cap was $6,000,000 who could seriously justify spending one sixth of that on an outside back with no play making ability at all?

johns_reds

First Grade
I posted this in the international forum, if falou deflects to rugby or afl with his decision on friday will he be excluded from Australia and QLD for this season???

Last edited:

Latest posts