What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merger whispers

emjaycee

Coach
Wow - a fully fledged politcal debate has ensued based on the (perish the) thought that the Eels and Bulldogs will merge.

MITS, a $1million profit for a $50million turnover is reasonable, if there has been a substantial increase in the asset base (i.e. renovations, property development, other investments, etc). I dont have the financial report for the club, but surely there has been significant capital outlay over the last 12-18 months for the neighbouring developments of which you speak. If not, then where has all the money gone???

Fish, MITS is correct - poker machines and other gambling is legal and whilst it is, businesses should be allowed to use them as a revenue stream and he is also right in his assertion that the revenue generated helps subsidise public transport and other government services (I am sure you know this already :D :D ).

However, I repeat, however, MITS smoking tobacco is legal too and sure it generates a very healthy revenue for the government, but does this mean we should encourage people to smoke? I think not.

Poker machines, like cigarettes, prey on the weakness of some members of society and as a result, society suffers. Some Mums and Dads spend their hard-earned on the pokies before they feed the kids and before they pay the mortgage or the rent. This is not good.

"And I wish I, wish I knew the right words
To blow up the pokies and drag them away
'Cause they're taking the food off your table
So they can say that the trains run on time" - The Whitlams

Governments need to find better ways to generate their tax revenue other then sucking $$ out of the weak. Gambling and smoking are addictions and expoiting those with this addiction is wrong. Make them illegal and find something less harmful to use for taxation revenue. Maybe charge a fair price for public transport - just like the people in the Hills have to pay for using private transport.

Back on topic... merging with the Bulldogs would suck... but I won't be able to afford to see the merged team play anyway because all the money I put into the pokies and waste on cigarettes means I cant afford Foxtel anymore.

TheRam

Coach
Go the BullEels...or is that the EelDogs...or um, the DogEelBulls... no no don't help me, I think I got it. It's the MungrelEels-BullsOnWheels travelling roadshow spectacular.
Oh shoot... I give up, what a bitch.

Avenger

Immortal
The next time the rights to Rugby league are to be sold the NRL should get a better price and employ people who know how to negotiate. They should do this by expanding the game nationally and place a team back in WA and SA. If that means relocating teams like South etc so be it. It sickens me that we are still a eastern seaboard competition. The foresight by some of Gallop's boys is pathetic.

Once we get a truly national competition then the NRL would be truly national and the game could ask for more $$$ from Foxtel and free to air. Then we would not have to rely on some poor pissed addict to put his hard earned money into a poker machine so that we can keep up with the pay demands of players and their vulture managers.

fish eel

Immortal
emjaycee said:

Poker machines, like cigarettes, prey on the weakness of some members of society and as a result, society suffers. Some Mums and Dads spend their hard-earned on the pokies before they feed the kids and before they pay the mortgage or the rent. This is not good.

Governments need to find better ways to generate their tax revenue other then sucking $$ out of the weak. Gambling and smoking are addictions and expoiting those with this addiction is wrong. Make them illegal and find something less harmful to use for taxation revenue. Maybe charge a fair price for public transport - just like the people in the Hills have to pay for using private transport.

well said.

BTW Mark, I only said 'partially' to privatising energy ;-) And I should say it is probably a good thing some of my former collegues who work for the Treasurer didnt listen to me, because I'm not sure what state the budget would be in :lol:

Avenger

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Why do you think we were able to take those clubs over in the first place. They were in a dour financial position due to the current tax regime of the N.S.W Government. Taking them over means that we get a tax Break. .

If it wasn't a money spinner we would never have taken them over. Whether that money is generated through tax breaks or profitability it still means $$$$$$$$$$.

Bigfella

Coach
Vikings Club had a number of unused poker machine licenses. It also owns a parcel of adjoining land with great develoment potential.

They are the only two reasons parra Leagues took it over. It was on the verge of insolvency based on actual trading.

Trading potential was not the reason.

May well be a development looming there too. I think a term of the taleover was a guarantee to trade for minimum 5 years; there may not be any club there after that ...

TheRam

Coach
Belly in Brisvegas said:
For the bloke in your avatar Ram, if the "Jimmy Dancer" doesn't get Pricey then a merger with the Dogs will!!

No Sh*t. This thread is a joke...so my response is exactly that. A... J-O-K-E. :crazy:

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Avenger said:
The next time the rights to Rugby league are to be sold the NRL should get a better price and employ people who know how to negotiate. They should do this by expanding the game nationally and place a team back in WA and SA. If that means relocating teams like South etc so be it. It sickens me that we are still a eastern seaboard competition. The foresight by some of Gallop's boys is pathetic.

Once we get a truly national competition then the NRL would be truly national and the game could ask for more $$$ from Foxtel and free to air. Then we would not have to rely on some poor pissed addict to put his hard earned money into a poker machine so that we can keep up with the pay demands of players and their vulture managers.

For those who trully want a national comp, then its time to take the bullet and merge.

Realistaclly, we're not going to have as many Sydney teams if we include Adelaide, Perth, another QLD team, and perhaps another interstate side.

I would keep it for what it is, and thats a unique eastern seaboard game.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
i'm quite enjoying the discussion between fish and MITS tbh..

You are lucky I provided this entertainment free of charge, without my partner in crime ;-) :lol:

Avenger

Immortal
COACH STERLING said:
For those who trully want a national comp, then its time to take the bullet and merge.

Realistaclly, we're not going to have as many Sydney teams if we include Adelaide, Perth, another QLD team, and perhaps another interstate side.

I would keep it for what it is, and thats a unique eastern seaboard game.

We represent the second biggest city in Sydney. We do not have to merge with anyone. Souths should go to Adelaide.

Perth however is booming and we need to get a team there pronto.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
We represent the second biggest city in Sydney. We do not have to merge with anyone. Souths should go to Adelaide.

I bet you'd love Parra to move to Perth..;-)

Can I ask a Question for those pushing for a National League.

Can you please tell me how much the Rights for the AFL were sold for last year. Also while investigating that can you tell me what the rights for league were sold for, and for how long.

I am off the Opinion that the deals are as follows.

NRL FTA Deal = 180 Million over 6 years.
NRL Fox Deal = 320 Million over 6 years

The AFL was 580 Million the lot, with Fox spending another 180 million to join the 7 / 10 coalition, to broadcast AFL?

fish eel

Immortal
Avenger said:
We represent the second biggest city in Sydney

That is a very good point.

One only needs to look ahead 20 years, with all the growth to occur in the North West region, and closer to home, the complete revamp that is going to happen in Parramatta, a football side based at Parramatta, regardless of what code, is in an ideal position to really capitalise.

weren't we there? :?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Avenger said:

I agree, however, Fitzy doesnt need too much motiv to get the ball rolling. Trust me, if he wanted to do it when things were financially stable in 99, then there's no reason not to do it now....in his eyes

I'd hate not to be able to watch Parra play at other suburban grounds too, it would mean watching 12 homes games a year, with the other 12 on fox....not really ideal.

Jebo Ja Fitzgerald!

emjaycee said:
Wow - a fully fledged politcal debate has ensued based on the (perish the) thought that the Eels and Bulldogs will merge.

MITS, a $1million profit for a $50million turnover is reasonable, if there has been a substantial increase in the asset base (i.e. renovations, property development, other investments, etc). I dont have the financial report for the club, but surely there has been significant capital outlay over the last 12-18 months for the neighbouring developments of which you speak. If not, then where has all the money gone???

Sorry MJC, I don't think it is even with the capital outlay, that would mean we made a 2% profit from our Revenue.

emjaycee said:
Fish, MITS is correct - poker machines and other gambling is legal and whilst it is, businesses should be allowed to use them as a revenue stream and he is also right in his assertion that the revenue generated helps subsidise public transport and other government services (I am sure you know this already :D :D ).

However, I repeat, however, MITS smoking tobacco is legal too and sure it generates a very healthy revenue for the government, but does this mean we should encourage people to smoke? I think not.

If the governments don't gouge you with a vice, they will gauge you with a need to live. So you can start to see other Taxes go sky high. So it is either one way or the other.

I know all about Mums spending their hard earned on the Pokies instead of food. But this is a personal weakness. Regardless of the fact that clubs have pokies, these people would find a way to get their fix. At least this way, the community can benefit from this money.

emjaycee

Coach
This thread is now touching on one of my favourite topics WRT rugby league and that is a NATIONAL competition. I sent this to the ARL during Super League wars...

16 teams
Sydney - Central
Sydney - South
Sydney - North
Sydney - West
Sydney - Sth West
Brisbane (1)
Brisbane (2)
Gold Coast
North Qld
Canberra
Newcastle
NSW South Coast
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
NSW Central Coast

Make 2 conferences comprising 8 teams each.
Play own conference teams twice and other conference teams once (22 rounds)
Top 3 from each conference go through to finals.

For this to work, we need to re-issue the licences for each club and no existing licence holder can purchase a new licence.

There can be no names/colours/logos/etc. from any existing clubs - as this will upset fans if one team is given preference.

Increase salary cap and include player relocation incentives.
Create an under 20's comp with same 16 teams.

Have heaps more on this issue, but thats enough for a work day. :lol:

Latest posts