What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merger whispers

Avenger

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
lol at this thread. Dennis may have flirted with the idea just he's flirted with the idea of a logo change etc.

It wont happen, the fans of both clubs wont allow it and it could possibly destroy both clubs and affect the NRL in a huge way.

Clubs will find otherways to compenstate the pokie taxes etc, either through higher prices in alcohol, tickets etc

The idea is stupid, and would cause widespread damage, it's not like a merger between St George & Illawarra...it would be more a case of Northern Eagles scenario.....and we know how that ended up lol

Just on a curious note? how did the club make money before they had all these pokies? i think Dennis & other clubs are exagerating the effects of the pokie machine tax in the hope that the government abolishes it, they will continue to piss & moan untill it's abolished.

I'm with Ron. Its crap. If we need more money we will keep taking over smaller clubs like the Vikings club and two blues etc to generate the extra $$$.

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
oi Den Watts i know who you are
your dead mate..your wife chrissy buried you under concrete in the queen vic pub in londons east end..

ok back on topic..

no mate.. this is NOT gonna happen.. go back to SL den watts

Okay so First I want to Pull Up Ron J,

Ron Leagues clubs in Sydney before Poker Machines used to be run on a Shoestring Budget. But to be honest Gaming has always supported league in New South Wales. Without this revenue League Dies. Sorry mate those are the facts.

To Eela, You have been keeping the end up well without me, but I think it is time I added some perspective.

Fish, oh Dear Fishy. I asked you a question this year on the Annual Report. You Failed it Miserably but I let it slide. The Leagues club did make a Profit this year. We made a little over 1 million dollars profit. For a company that takes in more than $50 Million in revenue, if you think $1 Million is a good profit then I think you are dreaming.

To give you all a little insight, the club as reported in the Annual report spent 6.6 Million dollars on Football, and about 6.1 of that was to the Eels. Now this year, just the increase in percentages mandated by the Labour Budgets saw the club pay a tax increase of 7 Million dollars. Not a Tax bill of 7 Million, a Tax Increase of 7 Million.

But you and I are lucky, we have visionary people in charge of Parramatta.

What some of you might not know is that as a back up to our income over the past 15 years the club has been purchasing property. The Club now owns almost its entire yearly revenue stream worth of Property in and around Parramatta.

So how do we make money out of that, how can we clear any sort of profit out of that.

Well your Wise Chairman at the club has that sorted as well. Has anyone noticed the lovely development going on across from our club?

The Astute members of the board would remember this block as the "Major Away" Car park, which would be used by some players and staff before catching the Bus to the Airport. It is now becoming some low rise office and retail block. Once it is complete it will give the club the capital to start on another project, just up at the next corner. That will be a Medium rise Block of apartments and retail shops below. Here is the fun bit. It is calculated that if the club sells all the apartments it will cover the cost of building. Leaving the club as owners of the retails shops. Apparently if fully leased. Over the year. The club could make about 6 . 6 Million from the rent. . . .

Now back to merger talks. Denis and the board wanted to Merge with the Balmain Tigers, but let us not discount the Bulldogs. They Changed their logo in 1999 ready to become the Canterbury (and eventually Liverpool) Magpies.

Ovo and Fitzy were in Macu with John Kolc who is the Gaming Operations Manager at the club. They were at a gaming conference.

fish eel

Immortal
What question Mark?

Mark, if you care to read back over my posts, do I search if you will, you will see I in fact said the club needed to look for alternate sources of revenue, and that I was pleased that they were doing just that with the developments.

But I'll just let it slide that you didn't at the time acknowledge I said something good about management. ;-)

As for poker machines, well if your sole business plan hinges on exploiting people through gaming machines, then that is a poor business plan and that business deserves to go under.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
People,

They aren't taking the poker machines out of the clubs, so relax.
People will learn to adapt to smoking changes over time. Sure, initially there will be a down turn in revenue but people get used to these sorts of changes over time. Particularly when you have a younger generation coming through that consists of less smokers.
As for merging with the arch enemy...Well now I have heard it all. The merge will do more damage to league than any smoking law or pokie tax.

Nikki

Coach
denwatts said:
Has anybody heard anything about a possible merger between,GET THIS,The Eels and the Doggies.to be called Parramatta Bulldogs.The reasons given are that when the new non smoking laws take effect that all clubs and pubs are excepting a massive downturn in income from the pokies and that no club will be able to afford the money to give to their football clubs.
Appartenly that is why the Eels were so strong in the area of bringing the new Under 20's comp in so to cut costs and this team will be the only Parramatta Eels playing when the Merger takes place.
The proposed jumper has already been seen..thats the one with blue,white,and yellow that the Eels played in, in the early rounds this season, the Eels never ever had white in the jumper before.
Its not going to happen this year but by the end of 2008 it will be a done deal,like it or not.
I know your going say who's this Den Watts and what crap is he going on with,just ask the Parramatta BIG BOYS who they had meetings with on their recent trip overseas and what the meetings were about.
Also why is Parramatta Stadium going to have work done a new southern stand to take in another 5,000 supporters when they cant fill it up the stands they have now...
Also ask yourself what were the rumblings at the Bulldogs club a couple of weeks really about,do others know of this whisper at the doggies and they are trying to knock in on the head by getting rid of the Bulldogs board members who support the merger.
Now ask yourself which club tried to merge with firstly Balmain and then Penrith to have them both fall over, the Eels board have been trying to get in bed withsome since the end of the Super League wars, now its like its going to happen.like it or not.

Im quite impressed with this post. Someone who can type so much whilst having their hand on it is obviously talented. :lol:

By the way, notice how you guys are the only ones talking about it. Wheres this bloke with some credibility to back it up..??

Grail

Juniors
Pazza said:
1.pattern
2.grothe
3.tonga
4.smith
5.hayne
6.Finch
7.smith
8.cayless (c)
9.Marsh
10.O'merley
11.Hindmarsh
12.Mason
13.Ryan

14.Riddell
15.Mateo
16.SBW
17.MoiMoi

Will win the wooden spoon after having all their points stripped for salary cap violation.

fish eel said:
What question Mark?

fish eel said:
MarkInTheStands said:
fish, is the finacial statement included?

yes sir it is.

A solid financial position imo

This is the post I am refering to.
fish eel said:
Mark, if you care to read back over my posts, do I search if you will, you will see I in fact said the club needed to look for alternate sources of revenue, and that I was pleased that they were doing just that with the developments.

But I'll just let it slide that you didn't at the time acknowledge I said something good about management. ;-)

We all think that is good, but I am more having a go at your assertion that 1, we are doing well financially without the income of the Properties and 2 that the Carr and Iemma governments in there need for money are inadvertently trying to kill Rugby League and all youth sports due to the lack of the support available from Clubs.

fish eel said:
As for poker machines, well if your sole business plan hinges on exploiting people through gaming machines, then that is a poor business plan and that business deserves to go under.

Well when Colonel Jack Argent built the first Parramatta Leagues club, with his own hands, that was the goal. Back in those days, my Grand Mother worked at South&#8217;s Juniors Cleaning the Machines in the Morning. There was a plaque above most of the Machines, with a Name, the Plaque said. All Profits from this Machine go towards keeping <Player Name> at Souths.

I am not sure if you are a member fish, but as I have stated before, the Primary Goal of the leagues club is to provide services for leagues club members, this means Entertainment, Food and Beverages at a reasonable price. Most of those services are subsidised by Poker Machine Money.

Avenger said:
I'm with Ron. Its crap. If we need more money we will keep taking over smaller clubs like the Vikings club and two blues etc to generate the extra $$$.

Why do you think we were able to take those clubs over in the first place. They were in a dour financial position due to the current tax regime of the N.S.W Government. Taking them over means that we get a tax Break. You see the tax works in regards to how much you generate in "Revenue" with your Machines. You start making a $million in revenue you start getting taxed. I was told this is what happened with Harboard Diggers which is now Part of the Mounties group. Harboard made about a Million from the machines which covered all there costs, and normal taxation, but the Poker Machine tax killed them and they sold the club to Mounties for a paltry sum.

But Because Mounties already is charged at the Maximum rate for their machines, the more machines they add to the establishment doesn't really matter and for Harboard it allows them to keep functioning without having to worry about the cumulative tax bill which is now worn by mounties.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
We all think that is good, but I am more having a go at your assertion that 1
we are doing well financially without the income of the Properties

I never said that. I said the Annual report reflected a good financial position.

I am not sure if you are a member fish, but as I have stated before, the Primary Goal of the leagues club is to provide services for leagues club members, this means Entertainment, Food and Beverages at a reasonable price. Most of those services are subsidised by Poker Machine Money.

Yes, I am a perpetual member.

Yes, food and drink are subidised by pokies. Take money out of the punters with one hand through the pokies, and give a portion of it back through a cheaper beer. Wonderful stuff.

They are insidious machines, designed to do nothing more than take money. Why people play them, I do not know. But I'll say it again, clubs like Parramatta League club should be looking at alternate income streams. It is not only the fiscally responsible thing to do, but also the morally responsible thing to do.

Times have changed and our game now has access to bigger than ever TV contracts and new media sponsorships, it's time we weaned ourselves off the pokie's. I'd love nothing more than they Government mandating a cut in machines in registered clubs.

Nickeel

Juniors
fish eel said:

Times have changed and our game now has access to bigger than ever TV contracts and new media sponsorships, it's time we weaned ourselves off the pokie's. I'd love nothing more than they Government mandating a cut in machines in registered clubs.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nick

eels_fan_01

Bench
I dont think this would happen in a million years and i guess when reading this it gives you a feel into what Balmain, Wests, Dragons and Steelers fans felt like when they actually did join.

They would have a very strong side no doubt about that, would probably win a premiership in the first few years but that wouldn't mean anything if i had to sit with the piece of sh*t dogs supporters at home games, i would change teams for sure.

eelavation said:
time to find us a rich sugar daddy to ensure our future me thinks...;-)

Let's hope Chinese Democracy sells and then we can get Axl Rose on board.

BTW Eela...a friend close to both you and me who I may have caught up with recently in Canberra told me how we may not have to rely on money from the pokies in the future if we hedge our bets in another area....all above board of course!!!

...and then Belly reads back a few posts and sees that the person in question has filled us in on it all!!!!

Ooooh Magoo will you ever learn????

fish eel said:
I never said that. I said the Annual report reflected a good financial position.

I am sorry but if you think that 1 million profit is a good thing then that is your opinion but I would highly disagree with it.

fish eel said:
Yes, I am a perpetual member.

Yes, food and drink are subidised by pokies. Take money out of the punters with one hand through the pokies, and give a portion of it back through a cheaper beer. Wonderful stuff.

That is what every club in the State does.

fish eel said:
They are insidious machines, designed to do nothing more than take money. Why people play them, I do not know. But I'll say it again, clubs like Parramatta League club should be looking at alternate income streams. It is not only the fiscally responsible thing to do, but also the morally responsible thing to do.

Morally Responsible. Last I checked it was still legal. It was still the punters choice to play. If no one is putting a gun to their head. The Odds are highly advertised. Saying Parramatta leagues club should not rely on pokies is like saying the State government shouldn't run lotteries and Do you know where this great state would be without gaming ???

fish eel said:

Then to be honest. Move to a state that doesn't have Pokies.

Actually fish, I know you catch public transport to work. I also know about 1/5th of the State Budget goes on the State Rail system. We all know it is heavily subsidised. So lets cut all gaming and see how much your rail ticket ends up costing.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
I am sorry but if you think that 1 million profit is a good thing then that is your opinion but I would highly disagree with it.

Wasn't the profit reduced because of one off expenditure on
a) balconies
b) consultant getting the DA's ready

That is what every club in the State does.

Morally Responsible. Last I checked it was still legal. It was still the punters choice to play. If no one is putting a gun to their head. The Odds are highly advertised. Saying Parramatta leagues club should not rely on pokies is like saying the State government shouldn't run lotteries and Do you know where this great state would be without gaming ???

Morally responsibility is not defined by legality.

Yes, the state is reliant on gmabling. And that is sad, and I have expressed my feelings on that to people at a high level.

Lotteries are a different beast to Pokies though. Last time I looked, you dont sit in a dark newsagent for how many hours, not knowing the time, putting your life savings through a machine.

Yes, it is the punters choice. But people make bad choices. And people get addicted.

Then to be honest. Move to a state that doesn't have Pokies.

Then I'd need to find something else to whine about. ;-)

Actually fish, I know you catch public transport to work. I also know about 1/5th of the State Budget goes on the State Rail system. We all know it is heavily subsidised. So lets cut all gaming and see how much your rail ticket ends up costing.

Reform the Commonwealth/State GST arrangements.
Partially privatise the energy providers.
There's a good start. ;-)

fish eel said:
Morally responsibility is not defined by legality.

Yes, the state is reliant on gmabling. And that is sad, and I have expressed my feelings on that to people at a high level.

Lotteries are a different beast to Pokies though. Last time I looked, you dont sit in a dark newsagent for how many hours, not knowing the time, putting your life savings through a machine.

Yes, it is the punters choice. But people make bad choices. And people get addicted.

So now the government has to baby sit someone so they don't make a bad choice? I personally come from a Family that has been burnt repeatedly by addiction to Poker Machines. Honestly I could tell you more sob stories then a care to, but I see it as a weakness of the person and not the club as the Evil.

You said you don't know why they do it. I do. It is deluded Hope to win for what every one desires.

fish eel said:
Reform the Commonwealth/State GST arrangements.
That sounds like a Labor Plan
fish eel said:
Partially privatise the energy providers.
Now you are sounding like a Lib

Parraletic

Juniors
If we EVER merge with those dirty dogs I'll never go to Parramatta Stadium again! We stay the Parramatta Eels. Big or small, rich or poor, i'll support Parra till the death. If we ever had to merge Penrith would be the way to go, not those cheats!

Latest posts