What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merger whispers

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
Point taken.....but what would you do if we merged with the dogs?

I haven't thought about it and I haven't needed to...but it might be an idea to ask the opinions of Balmain, Wests, St George and Illawarra fans how they felt, I'm sure Balmain and Wests fans weren't too concerned about it on grand final night in 2005 ;-) I'm also certain that many of them accepted the merger when it happened.

Bazal

Post Whore
Obviously this rumour is just that, with less substance than Paul Gallen behind it. But I could cop a merger if that was the only way the club could stay afloat, I love the team too much to stop supporting them even if they were merged with the filth from Canterbury. Add to that, the other winter sports in this country are completely and utterly boring, and I'd stick with the Eels no matter what. But to be honest a merger with Canterbury would be suicidal, there aren't many like me IMO who would stick by while their club became part of something they hate. You might keep the Leagues clubs afloat ok, a lot of people who go there don't care where they are so long as they have food, booze and pokies...but the footy side would die.

Dutchy

Immortal
But I could cop a merger if that was the only way the club could stay afloat, I love the team too much to stop supporting them even if they were merged with the filth from Canterbury

Still hated it, but Norths were always my #2...softened the blow a it.

Tizzun

Juniors
Worst case a merger would tear the very fabric of space-time, the universe would be destroyed...

Best case a lot of disgruntled fans from either team.

Either way it spells disaster.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
I haven't thought about it and I haven't needed to...but it might be an idea to ask the opinions of Balmain, Wests, St George and Illawarra fans how they felt, I'm sure Balmain and Wests fans weren't too concerned about it on grand final night in 2005 ;-) I'm also certain that many of them accepted the merger when it happened.

The thing that I dont understand is that your of the opinion that we will merge inevitabely, however you wont tell us how you'd feel, or " you haven't thought about it".

I presume,

A. you are all for merging
B. you dont like bagging the club (directors / administrators).

If B, then fair enough. If not, then you give me the impression you like to sit on the fence to see what happens.

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
The thing that I dont understand is that your of the opinion that we will merge inevitabely, however you wont tell us how you'd feel, or " you haven't thought about it".

I presume,

A. you are all for merging
B. you dont like bagging the club (directors / administrators).

If B, then fair enough. If not, then you give me the impression you like to sit on the fence to see what happens.

you want to an answer now because it's killing you so much???

I lean towards Bazal's opinion but initially it's

c. don't want the merger

why couldn't you add that as an option?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
you want to an answer now because it's killing you so much???

I lean towards Bazal's opinion but initially it's

c. don't want the merger

why couldn't you add that as an option?

hahaha....I just wanted a straight answer out of you.

I dont know how a merger would affect me, hopefully it wouldn't mean buying my first sawn-off shot gun and rocking up to the leagues club head office :D but it might take some time to get used to. Parra would have to run 99% of the show and play out of Parramatta stadium with the name Parramatta and both blue and gold in the colour of the jersey. ;-)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Merge with the Dog's :shock: please tell me there having a Laff!!!! I don't know if i could still watch league anymore. My old man was a West's supporter and he doesn't care about who win's anymore, he just hope's Parra wins so he doesn't here me whinging :lol: When the Tigpies won he wasn't to fussed either way, and thats coming from someone who supported the Magpies for over 40 years.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
hineyrulz said:
Merge with the Dog's :shock: please tell me there having a Laff!!!! I don't know if i could still watch league anymore. My old man was a West's supporter and he doesn't care about who win's anymore, he just hope's Parra wins so he doesn't here me whinging :lol: When the Tigpies won he wasn't to fussed either way, and thats coming from someone who supported the Magpies for over 40 years.

Yeah most maggie supporters haven't taken it too well. The thing to understand with mergers is there is always a looser to come out of it. The tigers only visit campbelltown 3 times a year, wear black and orange colours, and have stolen Wests capital. The winner is clear for all to see.......which might also answer Eelavation's earlier question regarding how Wests Tigers supporters felt when they won the comp in 05......just as if Balmain had won the title.

big boppa eel

Juniors
COACH STERLING said:
Yeah most maggie supporters haven't taken it too well. The thing to understand with mergers is there is always a looser to come out of it. The tigers only visit campbelltown 3 times a year, wear black and orange colours, and have stolen Wests capital. The winner is clear for all to see.......which might also answer Eelavation's earlier question regarding how Wests Tigers supporters felt when they won the comp in 05......just as if Balmain had won the title.
I agree coach as long as they are the tigers it was a balmain win, this has been nothing but a token gesture to wests fan's, don't tell me when the TIGERS won the comp that wests supporters were claiming they had finally won another grand final, I think not, and on the merger whisper 31 yrs as and eels fan a part of me would never be the same if we were god forbid the parramatta bu u know what i mean, dont care if we played out of parra stadium even if hages was coach etc we all know our eels would be dead and buried forever :( :x :( :crazy:

MrT

Juniors
If the day came that Parra had to merge I'd suspect the NRL would be on it's last legs.
I mean your talking about the second city of Sydney.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
If the day came that Parra had to merge I'd suspect the NRL would be on it's last legs.

Valid point T considering that the NRL/News Limited have in the past propped up one horse towns such as Canberra, North Queensland and Melbourne, I'm sure they'll be a vested interest for all concerned to have Parramatta as a single entity in the competition.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
MrT said:

At one stage wasn't Sydney City looked at one of the teams which might merge?

Glenn

First Grade
COACH STERLING said:
At one stage wasn't Sydney City looked at one of the teams which might merge?

AFAIK yes, but Sydney City is only a small part of Sydney has a whole.

It's all talk for now, worry about it when or if it happens.

IMO if we had to merge to survive I would be all for it.

fish eel

Immortal
parra-matters said:
It's all talk for now, worry about it when or if it happens.

IMO if we had to merge to survive I would be all for it.

It's only talk if you give credence to the basis of this thread.

Latest posts