What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mmmmm!!! Board Meeting!

spiderdan

Bench
unless one or two of our younger props step up (from memory people were talking up that hair bair dude, pele? earlier in the year) i would really like to see the club go after jeff lima. he would be the ideal replacement for cayless. we would have an awesome prop rotation with mannah, moimoi, poore and lima.

that said it would be nice if mortimer learned to challenge the line when running the ball and put players into gaps or to have a ball player in our ranks that could do that.

I just dont believe that we'd be happy to see three guys go - two of them on decent money, without there already being some discussions from the coach to the board about possible targets.

On Fox Sport News this morning, Ozzie was asked about DA attending the Board meeting, his response was along the lines of.

"Daniel has been providing monthly written updates to the board about the recruitment and retention of players, the board last month ask Daniel to come in an have a chat about it and that is what Daniel is doing nothing more"

Redback71

First Grade
remember the old saying:" A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush". We may end up with nothing, then ill be bloody pissed off. This better pay off.

eel4life

Juniors
Could be a meeting about what is going on with the team, KK leaving when he wanted to stay, anderson giving it to Jarryd who made him look good as a coach last year a whole heap of issues, look at the team we have we are not firing due to a reason, something has happened the team basically can win we have proven it against melb and manly and even the last game we played should of could of would of ... how can you seriously blame 1 player .. i dunno something is up, i just got a feeling ....

hindy111

Post Whore
Da didnt blame one player he just said what we are all thinking-Hayne hasnt fired.Thou either has motimer.Both on big bickies...
Im not sure what the plan is with signings.I assume we have around 700 k to spend.
I doubt we will get cronk.More likely kimmorley for a year or some dud from england than ando likes the look of.Im assuming no backs will be signed and he will rely on sio and maybe someone else stepping up-along with ohanolan who will taste first grade soon

eel4life

Juniors
Do we know why eric has reportedly walked out on the club?

something is up too many issues.

Last year when the team went on that magic run it was because of how they wanted to play for each other, that is missing from last year only game i saw it in this year was the melb game and maybe the manly game where super man hayne lifted us ...

something is def missing ...

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Once this turbulent dust-storm has settled and in hindsight lets see who has joined the Eels and who else has been told to move on. Though I may not agree with the way they went about things which caused this unnecessary prolonged emotional dust storm, I fully support DA, PO & co and their recruitment plans. The cows stampede causes a dust storm and so did the stampede caused by DA, PO & co. Who are these players??????? I am looking forward with great anticipation......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eels Dude

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...salivating-over-storm-four-20100628-zf88.html

this is what I don't get, how do you put forward a strategy to sign a guy who's still under contract with Melbourne??? kidnap him???

and it's now confirmed that Manase is Caylo's replacement for next year...lol!

that's wonderful :roll:

I would say Mannah is, and always has been intended to be our replacement for Cayless once he retired. Let's face it... at the moment we've got a front rotation for next year of Fui, Mannah, Poore, and Shacks. You can't do much better than that in the era of the salary cap.

And it's well known now that Melbourne will have to release players, the club isn't going to prevent their players negotiating elsewhere after all that's happened down there and they cannot guarentee their continued employment. So if a player, or their manager, requests permission to field offers from rival clubs the Storm management are not going to say no.

lingard

Coach
The big problem with cronk is that there are so many variables which could prevent him coming:
he is contracted to Melbourne; most other nrl clubs would take him; rugby and eel would take him
and I think whoever leaves the storm may leave the nrl out of spite; plus, and this is the big factor, you are also racig against all the other clubs and codes chasing slater smith and inglis.

If one of the other 4 leave, cronk will stay.

So the recruitment policy seems to be a shambles when you consider that Mateo is by a long shot the most talented player capable of playing in our halves and he is off without a replacement lined up.

I thjink it`s more a case of which two or three of those players the Storm decides to keep. And it`s quite possible that Cronk is the most expendable for them.

lingard

Coach
Do we know why eric has reportedly walked out on the club?

something is up too many issues.

Last year when the team went on that magic run it was because of how they wanted to play for each other, that is missing from last year only game i saw it in this year was the melb game and maybe the manly game where super man hayne lifted us ...

something is def missing ...

Well, Kris Keating hasn`t aimed up; Mortimer hasn`t aimed up; Mateo hasn`t aimed up and Krisnan Inu hasn`t aimed up. That`s four very key players that the coach was probably relying on to have very big years. If all of those four lived up to their 'potential', we`d be leading the comp right now. As for Anderson`s recruitment policies: he has gotten rid of all underperforming players whose contracts have run out. He can`t do much more than that at this stage. If each of those four players was replaced with another who was even a bit better than them, we would be in the top four probably. Mortimer was the big disappointment for me - he`s got two years left, and I really can`t see him improving to the extent that he needs to. Hope I`m wrong.

Djay

Juniors
Manuakafoa as Cayless' replacement is a joke really.

Hope they sort out some good plans to get Cronk cause we are in desperate need of a halfback.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Well, Kris Keating hasn`t aimed up; Mortimer hasn`t aimed up; Mateo hasn`t aimed up and Krisnan Inu hasn`t aimed up. That`s four very key players that the coach was probably relying on to have very big years. If all of those four lived up to their 'potential', we`d be leading the comp right now. As for Anderson`s recruitment policies: he has gotten rid of all underperforming players whose contracts have run out. He can`t do much more than that at this stage. If each of those four players was replaced with another who was even a bit better than them, we would be in the top four probably. Mortimer was the big disappointment for me - he`s got two years left, and I really can`t see him improving to the extent that he needs to. Hope I`m wrong.

For a moment there earlier in the season I was starting to warm up to KK, particularly after Country v City but since then I've gone back to how I have always felt... he is not suited to the Eels style of game. I actually think he will do better at the Dogs, playing with his old partner in crime Hodgkinson... I am actually glad KK is leaving.....

Mortimer will shine, he has that x factor... maybe at hooker it will blossom and a few years later back at 6 or 7. Maybe he is a 6 and might improve there for the rest of the year. Those comments posted about Hayne getting in the way of the 6 and 7 is spot on.... Until we get a Cronk standard 7 or better, we need someone to perform as general, dictating a simple game plan for 80 minutes and that man is Robbo. Robbo has to call the shots.. He is the player all other players look to. Let Hayne fit in to this schematic and we should see the add-lib Hayne begin to unfold within the schematic over the next 9 rounds or so. We really don't have any other player mature enough to handle that roll. Mortimer back to 6 and MK back to 9 and Humble at 14. Without the recruitment of Cronk before 30th June deadline it must be..

1. Hayne
6. Mortimer
7. Robson
9. M Keating
14. Humble.

That's it.... build the team schematics around these 5 and let Robbo call the shots. If we can get that stability from this 5 then we can start scoring points from all over the park most unfolding from 2nd phase plays..... a repeat of last years add hock style of play.

These 5 should all be with the Eels next year too...

Latest posts