What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

Das Hassler

Bench
You're getting good value at a low nett cost. ..WT pay most of his '22 money. ..and and...betcha ....just a hunch but if he was there he might very likely have pulled the fuse on "that BBQ"....he's a positive influence on the players around him. ..that matters. I believe Hook will get a lot of value out of him on and off the field...lo risk signing IMO

You're getting good value at a low nett cost. ..WT pay most of his '22 money. ..and and...betcha ....just a hunch but if he was there he might very likely have pulled the fuse on "that BBQ"....he's a positive influence on the players around him. ..that matters. I believe Hook will get a lot of value out of him on and off the field...lo risk signing IMO
Yeah, if he’d taken a bath to play with us for 370, I’m pretty sure we would have kept him lol.

Sgi are building too. I think Hook was delivering but events overtook him. I’d have his number on speed dial if we crash and burn for the rest of the season. Maybe he can bring Mbye back with him!!

SnowDragon

Juniors
I think you paid about the right price, ie less than half his current (albeit overblown) market value.

He has a tackling efficiency of 92% this year and you factor in that he has achieved this in a variety of different positions with different challenges, that’s why Hook likes him.

He almost never gets injured, he’s played 19 games this year. So he’s pretty robust and so far as we know, no defcon 4 injury in the shadows waiting to re-emerge out of nowhere.

Although, every player is carrying an injury of some kind.

And he’s a solid utility, he can play most positions hooker or backline, fb. And no crying or carrying on “ woe is f**king me” publically anyway. His attitude is massive. Happy to play off the bench if required, then has an impact.

I’ve had a positive interaction with him once. When Benji was going through one of his billion after game testimonials, he ignored us fans.

Not Mbye, he came over to us putrid filth to say hi and give selfies. He thanked everyone and was grateful for our praise. Shook hands and High Fiving -Chris Lawrence as well. That meant a lot to those of us in the cold- waiting in vain for a benji who never came.

Moses will do the same for you, very positive happy guy. Brightens up the club.

A “prudent purchase” as they say.
Funnily enough, Benj was an absolute star when we met him over in the UK a few years back. Came over and chatted to me and my boy after the match against Warrington. ( was actually disappointed in Frizzel that night).

Last edited:
Not sure we need to be going all ga ga over importing players that are unwanted by other clubs. What we need to be doing is nurturing local juniors to join the famous Dragons family.. not rejects. And not abandoning them as we have done with Roddy Wishart's boy when he looked a fine player with utility promise.
Having said that, let's hope Mbye becomes a major asset for the club.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Hahahahahahha.

f**k this club.

But, but, but ...he's a great guy.

personally, next year I don't care if we get the spoon as long as it's a bunch of great guys holding that spoon aloft.

This club has been on rinse and repeat since 2012.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Not sure we need to be going all ga ga over importing players that are unwanted by other clubs. What we need to be doing is nurturing local juniors to join the famous Dragons family.. not rejects. A case in point is allowing Roddy Wishart's boy to leave when he looked a fine player with utility promise.
Have a different view personally mate; i don’t believe i’ve read anyone going really ‘gaga’ over this signing: it’s a sound utility signing of a player with significant first grade experience in different positions pocessing strong leadership qualities

Tigers paying the largest share makes more sense and hopefully assist to compliment and ‘nurture ’ the many juniors we have adjusting to first grade, yet not quite ready because of lack of week to week hard football due to Covid.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Not sure we need to be going all ga ga over importing players that are unwanted by other clubs. What we need to be doing is nurturing local juniors to join the famous Dragons family.. not rejects. And not abandoning them as we have done with Roddy Wishart's boy when he looked a fine player with utility promise.
I think it is clear we are trying to nurture talent more than we have in the past
Re Wishart
I am sure young players don’t aspire to be a utility which is a problem when you don’t excel in a position or have too much in front of you as he did as a half at our club
He might of filled in at 9 for lower grades once or twice but whole hearted and high work rate which Bellyache loves
But for now was best suited to the halves
Storm obviously giving him opportunity to grow into a position they feel they might lack depth in a few years..
Not everyone can become a valued 1st grade 14 just because they don’t fit into the 13

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree. I hope that Hook is not hiring ad hoc for the sake of it and overlooking the prospects of the region's juniors. In saying this though, with all the restrictions imposed such as the lower grade competition being scrapped and that these juniors are not being able to train with the first graders at least this year anyway, Hook cannot get a good gauge on the attributes if any of those juniors. This would also apply to other coaches.

I am sure that Hook has his agenda and knows what he wants to achieve and with us recruiting Mbye he hopes this will help us for next year and beyond for his sake.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Welcome aboard Moses and Good Luck!

The thing that worries me is that for Wests Tigers, he wasn't their first choice fullback (Laurie is), 5/8 (Douehi is), halfback (Brooks is), or hooker (Liddle is). For any of those positions he clearly wasn't the best in a pretty average club roster. So where does he play for the Dragons? Not convinced he is what we need to get us further up the ladder.
I actually think that is more about Brooks and the Tigers than it is about Mbye.

The Tigers had the big 4 which they couldn't nail down to long term contracts. The only one they managed to keep was Brooks. They cleared the decks for Brooks, getting rid of Benji and Robbie. They then went out and recruited every two-bit half that came on the market, including Josh Reynolds, Mbye and even bringing back Benji. Nothing has worked for them. Maybe the common denominator is where the Tigers should be focusing their attention.

At the same time they arguably lost two of the top five fullbacks in our game, Teddy and Paps, as well as arguably the best winger in the world, JAC, and who for a time was arguably the best prop in the world in A. Fifita.

Yes, an unwanted player in a crap team, but is that more on Mbye or Brooks and the Tigers.

Dragon David

First Grade
I actually think that is more about Brooks and the Tigers than it is about Mbye.

The Tigers had the big 4 which they couldn't nail down to long term contracts. The only one they managed to keep was Brooks. They cleared the decks for Brooks, getting rid of Benji and Robbie. They then went out and recruited every two-bit half that came on the market, including Josh Reynolds, Mbye and even bringing back Benji. Nothing has worked for them. Maybe the common denominator is where the Tigers should be focusing their attention.

At the same time they arguably lost two of the top five fullbacks in our game, Teddy and Paps, as well as arguably the best winger in the world, JAC, and who for a time was arguably the best prop in the world in A. Fifita.

Yes, an unwanted player in a crap team, but is that more on Mbye or Brooks and the Tigers.
Just thinking what the Tigers would have been like had they kept the following:-
Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Addo-Carr, Koroibete, Moses, Woods, Fifita and many others who I've missed out together with Brooks and Doueihi and their other forwards. I reckon they would be up there each year.

Latest posts