What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies you found yourself

Mader45

Juniors
Hey. Do a lot of movie collecting (yeah. That seems like a 'safe' way to put it) and always looking out for movies that don't get a lot of press or marketing or just miss the limelight completely.

If any of you guys have seen movies that are recent (i.e last few years), are pretty good and that aren't mainstream can you let us know as I'm always looking for good movies to consume and hate 90% of the tripe coming out of hollywood.

Here's a few films you guys might be interested in I've seen that didn't really get a lot or any attention out here. I'll list them from what I consider best to worst.....

Rocknrolla - DRAMA - A Guy Ritchie film that is better then Snatch and Lock Stock put together. Has the best character in a film since Tyler Durden.

Frequently asked questions about time travel - COMEDY - Exactly what movies should be. A low budget, fun, engaging and funny story set in a British pub with 3 mates. Probably the best and easiest to consume movie on this list.

The Damned United - DRAMA - Great movie about Brian Clough's reign as manager of Leeds United. One of those British movies where the drama, comedy and wit all blend perfectly.

Hot Rod - COMEDY - If you like Will Ferrell you should love this movie. If you don't, you'll hate it. He was originally slated to play the role of a young terrible stunt man who needs to raise enough money to pay for the surgery his step dad requires.

Attack The Block - SCI-FI - Aliens attack a residential council block in South London and a few of the thug teenage residents take them on.

Alpha Dog - DRAMA - A young drug dealer has an enemies brother kidnapped. Based on a true story. Makes it even scarier.

American Teen - DOCO - A documentary made about life in a mid-west high school from the perspective of the queen bee, head jock, alternative freak and nerdy dork.

Fix - DRAMA - A young idealistic guy, along with his girlfriend, documents the day he transports his junkie brother to a rehab clinic.

The Mist - HORROR - Based on a Stephen King book. Pretty low budget. But it works. Especially the ending.

The Story Of Anvil - DOCO - About a metal band who were expected to be massive but never hit the big time. Contrived in many parts. But still interesting enough.

Boy - DRAMA/COMEDY - A kiwi film set in the 80's.

Eagle vs Shark - COMEDY - One of those black comedies that you'll either love or hate. NZ Movie as well with the dudes from Flight Of the Conchords. Has the most un P.C fight scene in history.

Take Me Home Tonight - COMEDY - Light rom/com to watch with the girlfriend if watching another Kate Hudson movie will make you want to kill someone. Set in the 80's, about a college grad who goes back to his home town to work in a video store while trying to figure out what he'll do with his life.

The Combination - DRAMA - Aussie movie caused a lot of problems and got taken out of cinemas after fights. It's about lebanese. Wasn't that bad. Especially compared to alot of the crap Aussies make.

HowHigh

Coach
Elite Squad (aka Tropa de Elite) 1 & 2 - Brazilian movies about the police, drugs, corruption etc

City of Men - Another Brazilian movie. It's about gangs etc...its similar to City of God...not quite as good but still worth a watch

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hot Rod is pretty funny. I thought it would be absolutely geniused and it was but in a good way.

Dogtooth is one of the strangest movies I have ever seen but its worth watching

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Round Up

Released this year, a French movie about Jews in France during WW2 being rounded up and sent to death camps.

Possibly the most honest retelling of how the French Jews felt at the time. Not too over the top or extravagant.

Springs

First Grade
Zombie Holocaust - completely ridiculous

f**king Amal - I enjoyed it.

Another Earth - I haven't actually seen this but my mates and I often joked about how there is another earth right above ours where the internet was created. And then voila, a movie. So I'm on the lookout for spies.

April Showers - Not that good but I'm a sucker for the full on grief and depression it portrays.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Enter The Void
Love Exposure
Chungking Express
Reflections Of Evil
Sonatine
El Topo
Cremaster Cycle
The Idiots

Anything from those directors is pretty awesome.

Citizen X.

Pops up on Showtime occassionally, great movie. About a serial killer in Soviet Russia and the problems trying to track him down weighed down by Commie red tape.

J'ai toujours rêvé d'être un gangster - French film split up in to different stories about people who try to become criminals but don't have the capabilities to do so, has some pretty funny moments especially the kidnapping.

edit.

Most Jim Jarmusch stuff aswell

Dead Man
Ghost Dog
Coffee and Cigarettes
Down by Law

Takashi Miike fan :cool:

Massive fan. The ending to Dead or Alive is one of the most random pieces of cinema ever to be witnessed (also a fitting end to Takeuchi v Aikawa) but it's great. Wonderful director with great range and absolute disregard to the norm.

Last edited:

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
J'ai toujours rêvé d'être un gangster - French film split up in to different stories about people who try to become criminals but don't have the capabilities to do so, has some pretty funny moments especially the kidnapping.
I can recommend it as well.

Most Jim Jarmusch stuff aswell

Dead Man
Ghost Dog
Coffee and Cigarettes
Down by Law
I'm a big Jarmusch fan but he basically workshopped Le Samourai to make Ghost Dog. Still, I would even defend The Limits Of Control.

Massive fan. The ending to Dead or Alive is one of the most random pieces of cinema ever to be witnessed (also a fitting end to Takeuchi v Aikawa) but it's great. Wonderful director with great range and absolute disregard to the norm.
Gozu is without doubt his most surreal film.