What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Hindmarsh - "Old School"

Haynzy

First Grade
I think Hindy and Hayne are mates and Hindy says those things for a laugh with Hayne.

They probably sit back and Hindy says to Hayne " Watch em get their panties in a twist over this one".

Stagger eel

Staff member
there is a good arguement for about 5 eels to be the greatest ever and my opinion changes all the time...but if anyone can clearly choose between Peter Sterling, Ray Price, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ken Thornett and Mick Cronin than they're doing well...

Avenger

Immortal
there is a good arguement for about 5 eels to be the greatest ever and my opinion changes all the time...but if anyone can clearly choose between Peter Sterling, Ray Price, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ken Thornett and Mick Cronin than they're doing well...

You forgot Brett Kenny. Ask Wally Lewis who was the best he played against.

EelsFan05

Bench

Totally agree + Kenny.

Haynzy

First Grade
Kenny said most of his success was down to Cronin.

In my eyes The Crow is our best ever.

Some thoughts on the book, which I got signed in Canberra on Friday night. I found the following interesting:
1. How much they used to get on the drink (not to mention the gambling).
2. How detached he seemed to be from the front office all the way through his career.
3. Thoughts on Smith, Hagan and Ando as coaches. I was particularly interested to hear how cranky Smith was all the time, down to him refusing the medicab when he did the PCL in 2005.
4. All the bits on how nervous they all were before games, including Guru's line of "geez I wish I was somewhere else" in the sheds before a big game.

I whistled through it in a few hours and got to 2007 before I got depressed and had to put it down. What a shocking run we had 1997-2007, in a lot of ways very successful as a club but ultimately just so much heartache at the pointy end. Still I'd rather lose comps as Parramatta than win them as anyone else.

offside ref

Juniors
yeah the 97 to 07 were good times but also so sad at the end. the book really brought back some old wounds aswell a real apreciation for all that smith did the baby eels and how close they came.

reading it though i felt that hindy held back on certain points ie hagan sk and even the board. overall it was a good book not the best you will ever read but good and heart breaking that such a great eel will never expereince a grand final win.

Utey

Coach
I guess we all appreciate the 97-07 stage because of how bad the early 90's were. My god that sucked, even as a youngster.

hybrideel

Bench
just finished reading it. Interesting more than compelling. One thing i have to say that i disagree with him about
F&$K Jamie "Judas" Lyon
F&$K Melbourne "3 contracts" Storm
oh wait that's 2 things

Runaround Man

Juniors
Kenny said most of his success was down to Cronin.

In my eyes The Crow is our best ever.

Well Mick did get the more impressive stand named after him.

What I love about Cronin and Price is their careers spanned the 76 and 77 grand finals as well as the 80s. And they both retired grand final winners - indeed the last Parra premiership.....both legends..

Angry_eel

First Grade
I am up to about 160 pages atm. So far interesting to see his love for Brian Smith and finding about his personality. However, I was quite surprised about how little was written about the Jamie Lyon saga. As a young fan at the time, it was huge for me and I would think it would be for the players as well. Very much a fence sitter attitude from Hindy about it all.

bartman

Immortal
I don't think the Jamie Lyon thing was as controversial as we fans and the media made out?

Jamie allegedly had a reaction to the way Smith spoke to him in the sheds in R1 of that year, and while he was going through some family issues at the time presumably decided he "didn't need that shit", asked the club for leave (which was granted) then asked the club to move to/play in Wee Waa (which was granted), and then aksed the club to move to/play in England (which was granted), and then served out the term of his contract before signing for another NRL club.

I don't think there's much more to write unless Lyon or Smith themselves writes a book and wants to put their sides on the public record? I certainly wouldn't expect someone like Hindy to spill any juicy beans that aren't his to spill. I personally don't think what Lyon did was anywhere near as bad as what $BW did, our club gave him permission along the way and stayed in control of his NRL contract for the entire time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think the Jamie Lyon thing was as controversial as we fans and the media made out?

Jamie allegedly had a reaction to the way Smith spoke to him in the sheds in R1 of that year, and while he was going through some family issues at the time presumably decided he "didn't need that shit", asked the club for leave (which was granted) then asked the club to move to/play in Wee Waa (which was granted), and then aksed the club to move to/play in England (which was granted), and then served out the term of his contract before signing for another NRL club.

I don't think there's much more to write unless Lyon or Smith themselves writes a book and wants to put their sides on the public record? I certainly wouldn't expect someone like Hindy to spill any juicy beans that aren't his to spill. I personally don't think what Lyon did was anywhere near as bad as what $BW did, our club gave him permission along the way and stayed in control of his NRL contract for the entire time.

bart, rest assured there was a hidden player in the whole saga and that's Noel Cleal, he was all over it like a rash.

EelsFan05

Bench
I am up to about 160 pages atm. So far interesting to see his love for Brian Smith and finding about his personality. However, I was quite surprised about how little was written about the Jamie Lyon saga. As a young fan at the time, it was huge for me and I would think it would be for the players as well. Very much a fence sitter attitude from Hindy about it all.

I can't stand all the Judas love at the moment on Channel 9. I'd love to see him exposed for the weak, sneaky, low life, snake in the grass he really is. Hindmarsh isnt the type of bloke to do that though. The book is a good easy read. Maybe there might be a more in depth controversial one down the track, where the club or more particularly members of it, will cop a spray.

Utey

Coach
The thing which worried me the most which reinforces the culture issue we have is the acceptance of mediocrity from our rise off the bottom in the late 90's to present. It's a sh*thouse attitude to have as a professional sports club. The fact that Hindy has an us vs them (reference to the younger guys at the club) mentality is a massive issue IMO.

Either way, it was a pretty dull and uninspiring read, or perhaps I'm asking too much from it all.

barney gumble

Juniors

Not as bad as SBW but still a grubby and low act that had significant flow on effects for our club at the time.

Remember we had two international centres in Lyon and Vaeliki and for this reason the club let go Willie Tonga who went on to become an international. Then Lyon has his hissy fit and Vaeliki had injuries and left that season too, and where we had three quality centres all of a sudden we had none.

I just remember the whole Lyon issue and still feel bitter about it. He said he was leaving because he was home sick, and then went to the other side of the world to play. We always knew he would link up with Manly.