What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler relinquishes ownership of the Newcastle Knights

BunniesMan

Immortal
I was just thinking the same thing. But the knights would be the only coaching vacancy for 2013 so I can see him taking a paycut this season to coach Newcastle. 2014 he'll take someones money though i think.
There is a number of coaches that would be sacked immediatly if Bennett said he wanted in. If Bennett went to the Dragons today and said he wanted in Price would be sacked by dinner time.

Would think Canberra and Gold Coast and maybe even Brisbane would be in the same boat. Their incumbents wouldn't last long if Bennett wanted them.
Why year after year after year are the Knights consistenly a basket case at a administrative level? Every bloody year!
The Manly board and ownership has hardly been the picture of friendly stability either. 1.5million loss this year despite being top 4 too.

woodyk2

First Grade
There is a number of coaches that would be sacked immediatly if Bennett said he wanted in. If Bennett went to the Dragons today and said he wanted in Price would be sacked by dinner time.

Would think Canberra and Gold Coast and maybe even Brisbane would be in the same boat. Their incumbents wouldn't last long if Bennett wanted them.

The Manly board and ownership has hardly been the picture of friendly stability either. 1.5million loss this year despite being top 4 too.
One year really the Manly board lost it...EVERY year since inception the Knights are blah blah this blah blah that.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Meh big nothing story for Knights fans, they'll be fine. The Jets on the other hand might be up shit creek without a paddle, which as a Soccer fan living in Canberra might be good news.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Some tax office guy looking for headlines. The money wil be paid and this will be a non issue
The fact that they haven't been paid by now is the problem.

And this isn't an isolated issue.

What about about the various tradies not getting paid. What about the repossessed chopper and plane.

There are bigger issues here and to be putting it all down to "some tax office guy" is naive.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The fact that they haven't been paid by now is the problem.

And this isn't an isolated issue.

What about about the various tradies not getting paid. What about the repossessed chopper and plane.

There are bigger issues here and to be putting it all down to "some tax office guy" is naive.

captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpg

Have always disagreed with his late paying attitude - its bad form. He does however eventually meet the debts of the entities that he wants to stay afloat . That's why I'm not worried as a knights supporter. He is still a dick though and is creating a lot of bad press.

kmav23

Juniors
Have always disagreed with his late paying attitude - its bad form. He does however eventually meet the debts of the entities that he wants to stay afloat . That's why I'm not worried as a knights supporter. He is still a dick though and is creating a lot of bad press.

It's not an attitude his in real trouble any day it will collapse. Not paying small amounts for tradies and people's super. His lost all credibility in business now. No ones going to lend him money anymore.

perverse

Referee
So the point some of you seem to be missing (some of our own supporters included) is that we don't care if the big guys fortune goes belly up. Our previous board chairman, our previous CEO, the NRLs previous CEO, our current CEO and the ARLC are/were all satisfied that in the event of Tinkler going bankrupt, the bank guarantee and buyback clauses in the deal would not only safeguard us, but set us up medium to long term in the best possible stead. The deal was a win-win from the get-go, and it's why we voted 97% in favour of the deal. At this point in time there really is no need for the Knights to be alarmed, because we have planned for this extensively.

I wouldn't say I'm pro or anti Tinkler. I don't agree with his business practices, however he put a deal on the table where we couldn't lose, it was flat out generosity (or buying goodwill, whichever you prefer). He did a great thing for the Knights, regardless of his intentions.

Last edited:
So the point some of you seem to be missing (some of our own supporters included) is that we don't care if the big guys fortune goes belly up. Our previous board chairman, our previous CEO, the NRLs previous CEO, our current CEO and the ARLC are/were all satisfied that in the event of Tinkler going bankrupt, the bank guarantee and buyback clauses in the deal would not only safeguard us, but set us up medium to long term in the best possible stead. The deal was a win-win from the get-go, and it's why we voted 97% in favour of the deal. At this point in time there really is no need for the Knights to be alarmed, because we have planned for this extensively.

I wouldn't say I'm pro or anti Tinkler. I don't agree with his business practices, however he put a deal on the table where we couldn't lose, it was flat out generosity (or buying goodwill, whichever you prefer). He did a great thing for the Knights, regardless of his intentions.

Well said

Canard

Immortal

I don't think any sane person thinks the Knights are going to fold. But will they enjoy the third party perks that attracted people like Bennett there anymore?

And to claim that a billionaire owner going broke isn't " news" is a bit much.

eozsmiles

Bench

Knights fans are happy because they will better off than they were pre-Tinkler. But the club has no new revenue streams and have seriously increased spending.

If the big guy goes belly up then the guarantee of $10m in advertising revenue per year is in smoke.

With all the money spent to catch up to the leading teams off the field, how do the Knights maintain that level without Nathan? How do they keep Wayne on a million a year? That is assuming Tinks goes belly up, which I'm hoping he doesn't.

betcats

Referee
Tinkler is going belly up. The ATO does not move to liquadate u because ur a bit late paying them, they would of been trying to work out payment plans with these companies etc.

The Knights will be ok because of the bank deal but Tinkler is f**ked.