What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New stadium - 2025

So is anything getting knock down? How can you improve it if nothing gets knockdown slightly? The amount of money spent over the years adding bits and pieces would have been better spent just re doing it again.

There’s no way they’re spending $309m without knocking something down, I’m pretty sure you’ll see the eastern stand levelled at minimum. Making major modifications to existing structures is pretty much just as expensive as knocking down.

I think people are underestimating how much can be done with $309m. That’s not small refurbishment.

The hill will stay at the northern end, but outside of that I expect things will look and feel quite different.

I’d like to see a safe standing terrace at the southern end, and two new stands down the sides.

Assuming Fletcher is correct that an entirely new stadium would’ve been $450m, I think the above is achievable for $309m. It will be a slightly smaller version of Newcastle’s ground.

Any ground with a hill is tinpot as f**k

I’m not a fan of a hill myself, but this could easily be built upon at a later date. Or
perhaps something like NQ that has seating below a flat hill.

Guys it’s $309m, this will secure the short to medium term future of the club. They’ll be able to sell really good corporate and membership packages, a viral income stream.

flash

Juniors
Do we get to keep the open sewer at the western entrance? Will miss the feeling of travelling in a third world country at every home game.

age.s

First Grade
I’m not a fan of a hill myself, but this could easily be built upon at a later date. Or
perhaps something like NQ that has seating below a flat hill.

Guys it’s $309m, this will secure the short to medium term future of the club. They’ll be able to sell really good corporate and membership packages, a viral income stream.
Easily is not the word I'd use. Its very unlikely the stadium will get any further significant attention from governments who will see this as an item ticked off their to do list. Can't see the club being able to afford it.

Realistically this was the best chance the club had at a modern ground in the next couple of decades.

snickers007

Juniors
I'm in the minority here, that money would be better spent elsewhere, e.g. on healthcare, and giving our frontline emergency workers, doctors and nurses, a much deserved pay rise.

$309m into healthcare is pocket change.
NSW Health had about 139,000 full-time equivalent positions a few years back.
Thats an extra $85 per person, per fortnight for 12 months - which is insultingly insignificant.
If you consider the investment into the stadium is meant to be for 15-20years the equivalent amount is $4 - $5 per person, per fortnight over the same time.

You could make the argument that something is better than nothing - and that's true. But you could allocate 95% of the NSW budget to health care and it still wouldn't be enough.

Sports, arts, education and infrastructure are all important in the grand scheme of things, and need funding too.

The problem here is that $309m worth of stadium refurb isn't going to make a splash either. They're spending the money because it's been allocated, and because they don't want to piss off the voters after Labor narrowly took the Penrith seat in the last election.

The government would be better off taking that money, and giving it to BlueBet and backing QLD at 13+ tonight.

$309m into healthcare is pocket change.
NSW Health had about 139,000 full-time equivalent positions a few years back.
Thats an extra $85 per person, per fortnight for 12 months - which is insultingly insignificant.
If you consider the investment into the stadium is meant to be for 15-20years the equivalent amount is $4 - $5 per person, per fortnight over the same time.

You could make the argument that something is better than nothing - and that's true. But you could allocate 95% of the NSW budget to health care and it still wouldn't be enough.

Sports, arts, education and infrastructure are all important in the grand scheme of things, and need funding too.

The problem here is that $309m worth of stadium refurb isn't going to make a splash either. They're spending the money because it's been allocated, and because they don't want to piss off the voters after Labor narrowly took the Penrith seat in the last election.

The government would be better off taking that money, and giving it to BlueBet and backing QLD at 13+ tonight.
Disagree with that.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think an entirely new eastern and western stand designed in such a way that the current hill areas can easily be updated at a later stage when the need arises. It is what it is. Maybe not perfect but something needed to be done. Sadly the Paceway is the big loser.