What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Iamback

Coach
You need to look at team form too...

Warriors placings 2013 to 2016: 11th, 9th, 13th,10th - average 10.75 (10-11th place let's say)

Warriors placings 2017-19: 13th, 8th, 13th - average 11.333 (let's say 11-12th)

Warriors placings 2020-2022: 10th, 12, 15th - average 12.333 (let's say 12-13th)

And I bet if you remove the one exceptional season (a fluke?) from 2017-19, the slide really comes into focus.

Considering the club has been on the downhill since Ivan Cleary left to coach the Panthers (a slide exacerbated by the demoralizing effect of playing in exile during the pandemic).. are the falling crowds for Wellington games any wonder?

If 14-16k is the hardcore, the base of Wellington league fans when you strip off the fairweather followers/casual fans who will only go if a team's doing well... then that's some kinda decent bedrock.. isn't it?

Plus I think promotion of the game could have been far better.

A local team would promote the side better that is one thing for certain

Te Kaha

First Grade

Warriors placings 2013 to 2016: 11th, 9th, 13th,10th - average 10.75 (10-11th place let's say)

Warriors placings 2020-2022: 10th, 12, 15th - average 12.333 (let's say 12-13th)

And I bet if you remove the one exceptional season (a fluke?) from 2017-19, the slide really comes into focus.

Considering the club has been on the downhill since Ivan Cleary left to coach the Panthers (a slide exacerbated by the demoralizing effect of playing in exile during the pandemic).. are the falling crowds for Wellington games any wonder?

If 14-16k is the hardcore, the base of Wellington league fans when you strip off the fairweather followers/casual fans who will only go if a team's doing well... then that's some kinda decent bedrock.. isn't it?

What do you mean? The promotion was all over the TV, radio, News Websites. and the tickets were $20 and $60 odd for an entire family. The game has been advertised for months.
I have already seen 3 of my Junior clubs fold since the Warriors introduction raped the local leagues, I really don't want to see the last remaining one die because a team is dumped her without the investment in to junior development first.

Wb1234

Immortal
It’s not a big sport that’s why clubs aren’t attracting the 30k corwds, which is what you asked.

I agree, no dud clubs, why it should be perth.
A sport that turns over 640 million pa and whose clubs owns assets over a billion dollars and which demolishes its nearest competitor ?

Gobsmacked

Bench

Warriors and Newcastle are in almost everyone's bottom 4 to start the season, both teams have their fair share of wooden spoon tips.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So the whole sport is based on one metric ?

as funny as this is I’m going back to sleep
No but you asked me about crowds lol
it’s clear there aren’t 30k going to games because the sport isnt popular enough to draw 30k crowds. How hard is that to understand?
it sounds like you need a sleep!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Check out the latest episode of the Chasing Kangaroos podcast. A New Zealand sports reporter talks about how RL is growing and thriving in NZ and he's seeing growth around NZ, not just in Auckland. Seems to be at odds with what we are being told on this thread.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Check out the latest episode of the Chasing Kangaroos podcast. A New Zealand sports reporter talks about how RL is growing and thriving in NZ and he's seeing growth around NZ, not just in Auckland. Seems to be at odds with what we are being told on this thread.

Hahaha, that's not what he said at all. he said "RL is growing and thriving in NZ because the Kiwis team didn't have any Warriors in it" his evidence being naming three players who were born, not raised, but born in 3 locations in NZ.
And lets dig deeper into those regions.
Westcoast 4 premier sides down from 7
Northland 7 Clubs with a furthur 4 that can no longer field a premier team
Wellington 10 Clubs down from 14.

No mentions of Player numbers,
No mention of numbers of junior clubs,
No mention of viewership, other than 9pm kickoffs being detrimental and having crap numbers.
What he did mention
"pathways", saying NZ doesn't have them, where the Dolphins did.
Tongan and Samoan players were born in NZ and Aus and there is not a flow of players from those countries. And he has no idea what the status of League in those countries.

He also said dumping a team in NZ wouldn't work without setting up the pathways first, gee I wonder who said that in this thread.

Oh and calling Scott Miller " New Zealand sports reporter" is stretching it, Enthusiastic fan is more accurate.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench

Something was telling me that I shouldn't listen to a anonymous disgruntled abusive union fan on a league forum 🤔🤣

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hahaha, that's not what he said at all. he said "RL is growing and thriving in NZ because the Kiwis team didn't have any Warriors in it" his evidence being naming three players who were born, not raised, but born in 3 locations in NZ.
And lets dig deeper into those regions.
Westcoast 4 premier sides down from 7
Northland 7 Clubs with a furthur 4 that can no longer field a premier team
Wellington 10 Clubs down from 14.

No mentions of Player numbers,
No mention of numbers of junior clubs,
No mention of viewership, other than 9pm kickoffs being detrimental and having crap numbers.
What he did mention
"pathways", saying NZ doesn't have them, where the Dolphins did.
Tongan and Samoan players were born in NZ and Aus and there is not a flow of players from those countries. And he has no idea what the status of League in those countries.

He also said dumping a team in NZ wouldn't work without setting up the pathways first, gee I wonder who said that in this thread.

Oh and calling Scott Miller " New Zealand sports reporter" is stretching it, Enthusiastic fan is more accurate.
His all sports show has been running for 10 years so I'd take his word over yours. And he spoke extensively about the popularity of the game outside of just the Warriors and also points out that players are coming from other parts the country than Auckland.

Very different from the story you are feeding us that it's on death's door and no one is interested

Te Kaha

First Grade
His all sports show has been running for 10 years so I'd take his word over yours. And he spoke extensively about the popularity of the game outside of just the Warriors and also points out that players are coming from other parts the country than Auckland.
It isn't an all sports show. the type of sports it comments on is in the title of it. And while he used terms like " I feel " and "to me" he provided no numbers on anything, he mentioned the west coast as providing a player and didn't mention the number of premier teams that are no longer there, he did the same for Northland and Wellington.
He is a fan commenting on a sport he writes about.

Very different from the story you are feeding us that it's on death's door and no one is interested

I have never said "no one is interested" so stop talking out your arse. I said popularity is waning, and it is, numbers are down on every single metric except the womans game. I, and others, have posted ACTUAL numbers in this thread, ones you can't refute, from actual news sources. But of course that doesn't suit your narrative, so you ignore those.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It isn't an all sports show. the type of sports it comments on is in the title of it. And while he used terms like " I feel " and "to me" he provided no numbers on anything, he mentioned the west coast as providing a player and didn't mention the number of premier teams that are no longer there, he did the same for Northland and Wellington.
He is a fan commenting on a sport he writes about.

I have never said "no one is interested" so stop talking out your arse. I said popularity is waning, and it is, numbers are down on every single metric except the womans game. I, and others, have posted ACTUAL numbers in this thread, ones you can't refute, from actual news sources. But of course that doesn't suit your narrative, so you ignore those.
Again mate, I'll take his opinion over yours any day as he actually covers sport for a living. And yes, he covers all the major sports in NZ except for RU. In the case of Union he says he follows it but doesn't cover it as he wants his show to have a point of difference as all sports shows cover Union.

Latest posts