What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Referee
Again mate, I'll take his opinion over yours any day as he actually covers sport for a living. And yes, he covers all the major sports in NZ except for RU. In the case of Union he says he follows it but doesn't cover it as he wants his show to have a point of difference as all sports shows cover Union.
Thanks for providing us an accurate presentation of the game in nz

Billythekid

First Grade
I think the focus is far too much on union and less about what's good for league. A second NZ side not only adds a local derby but also adds another team with the potential to be good each year. Right now the NRL in NZ is reliant on the warriors and when they've been mostly shit for their entire existence that is a huge anchor on the sport. I think other than that it allows us to retain more NZ talent and might encourage more international footy.

Would it impact union at all? f**ked if I know but that shouldn't be why we make massive decisions like this.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thanks for providing us an accurate presentation of the game in nz
Thanks mate, but I can't take any credit, just happy that Chasing Kangaroos have guests like this on. What was said on the podcast makes sense though. Anyone who has eyeballs can see that the number of NZ players in the NRL has never been greater, the Kiwis have never been stronger, the number of NZ born Tongan and Samoan players has never been greater and there are two great positives at the moment:

1. These players aren't just coming from Auckland, they are coming from all around the country

2. There were no Warriors in the Kiwis World Cup squad, that is actually a good thing, it means the game in NZ has grown beyond reliance on one NRL side and it means that all NRL clubs are successfully scouting NZ talent which isn't going to slow down

Covid is behind us now and the Warriors have all of their pathway teams back playing at the highest level and they are putting a big emphasis on development. It is only up from here.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Thanks mate, but I can't take any credit, just happy that Chasing Kangaroos have guests like this on. What was said on the podcast makes sense though. Anyone who has eyeballs can see that the number of NZ players in the NRL has never been greater, the Kiwis have never been stronger, the number of NZ born Tongan and Samoan players has never been greater and there are two great positives at the moment:

1. These players aren't just coming from Auckland, they are coming from all around the country

2. There were no Warriors in the Kiwis World Cup squad, that is actually a good thing, it means the game in NZ has grown beyond reliance on one NRL side and it means that all NRL clubs are successfully scouting NZ talent which isn't going to slow down

Covid is behind us now and the Warriors have all of their pathway teams back playing at the highest level and they are putting a big emphasis on development. It is only up from here.
Bravo

excellent post

Gobsmacked

Bench

Covid is behind us know and the Warriors have all of their pathway teams back playing at the highest level and they are putting a big emphasis on development. It is only up from here.
It's on a massive up. The kiwi team in the WC was the best they've ever assembled! There's more kiwi players in the NRL than ever before! All this before the Warriors returned to NZ ! This year they added development teams and next year those development teams effectively triple!

With each passing day a second NZ team becomes more likely. If they wait a year before announcing the 18th team, by that time NZ will be screaming out for another team!

Wb1234

Referee
It's on a massive up. The kiwi team in the WC was the best they've ever assembled! There's more kiwi players in the NRL than ever before! All this before the Warriors returned to NZ ! This year they added development teams and next year those development teams effectively triple!

With each passing day a second NZ team becomes more likely. If they wait a year before announcing the 18th team, by that time NZ will be screaming out for another team!
Perths best chance is the deal gets done this year

as you say more time works in nz favour

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing changes ,team 18 will be based primarily on financial security, tv interest and nrls strategic plan.

re the game in nz, again NZRL revenue $8.8million. That should tell you how big it is. Unles we have genuine registered players numbers annually the discussion on if its growing or shrinking is anecdotal at best.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Again mate, I'll take his opinion over yours any day as he actually covers sport for a living. And yes, he covers all the major sports in NZ except for RU. In the case of Union he says he follows it but doesn't cover it as he wants his show to have a point of difference as all sports shows cover Union.

Of course you will, because it suits your narrative and doesn't require any evidence. It's something you share witht the other idiots in this thread, disliking and ignoring actual factual evidence.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
I think the focus is far too much on union and less about what's good for league. A second NZ side not only adds a local derby but also adds another team with the potential to be good each year. Right now the NRL in NZ is reliant on the warriors and when they've been mostly shit for their entire existence that is a huge anchor on the sport. I think other than that it allows us to retain more NZ talent and might encourage more international footy.

Would it impact union at all? f**ked if I know but that shouldn't be why we make massive decisions like this.
I agree, but Gob and his disciples created the thread and have constantly posted on the thread entirely in opposition to rugby.

Dude it's just two blokes talking about sports on their home made website:
"We're just two lads from South Auckland on a mission to broadcast Aotearoa's sporting and creative excellence and Patreon's makes it all possible."
I quite like their site, they often have good info about what school certain players went to and which players might be eligible for the Kiwis. But, after listening to the podcast @Te Kaha is correct, there was nothing factual there, it's just feels.

Also, it's nothing new for players in the Kiwis to not just be from Auckland, it's not some sea change. For example, the 2008 World Cup winning squad had players from Northland, Wellington, Christchurch, the Naki, Nelson, Waikato, Bay of Plenty etc.

It's not a good thing. For better or worse the Warriors are the face of league in NZ, it's frankly preposterous that there are so few Warriors in the Kiwis. The Warriors need top NZ players, not Aussie journeymen.

Te Kaha

First Grade

One or two players being born means f**k all. How many of those players are raised in Aussie and go through their systems? Selective stats mean nothing.

Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Born Wellington
Jesse Bromwich, Born Auckland
Kenneath Bromwich, Born Auckland
Dylan Brown, Born Auckland
James Fisher-Harris, Born Northland
Kieran Foran, Born Auckland
Peta Hiku, Born Gisborne
Jahrome Hughes, Born Wellington
Sebastian Kris, Born Brisbane
Moses Leota, Born Auckland
Isaac Liu, Born Auckland
Joseph Manu, Born Hamilton
Jeremy Marshall-King, Born Northland
Ronaldo Mulitalo, Born Auckland
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Born Auckland
Briton Nikora, Born Tauranga
Marata Niukore, Born Auckland
Isaiah Papali'i, Born Auckland
Jordan Rapana, Born Wellington
Brandon Smith, Born Auckland
Scott Sorensen, Born Sydney
Joseph Tapine, Born Wellington
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Born Rotorua
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. Born Hamilton

This list shows again you take a pod cast as proof instead of actually doing real research. Of the 24 players selected for the World Cup the breakdown shows Auckland and its surrounds make up well over half the team, and no South Islanders.

Northland 2
Auckland 11
Waikato\Mid 5
Wellington 4
Australia 2
The entire South Island 0

Te Kaha

First Grade
Te kah bought out his puppet to back him up 🤣
It's pretty obvious now buddy.
Meanwhile a quick check on the Union scene...
😳🙈
An Australian commenting on an Australian site about Australia is somehow relevant to NZ to you? You seriously are getting more stupid with every post.

Wb1234

Referee
Te kah bought out his puppet to back him up 🤣
It's pretty obvious now buddy.
Meanwhile a quick check on the Union scene...
😳🙈
Their opinions are suspiciously identical

puppet or ventriloquist doll is an accurate description

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well pistol pete does love his tribalism so a local rival for the Warriors might be right up his alley.

Latest posts