What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench
I'm starting to think that we should scrap the idea of NZ2 for a decade or two and fund a QLD cup style competition over there instead. I have no idea how much it would cost, but say a salary cap for an NRL team each year, would that be enough or overkill?
With only one nz team, it means all of them would be feeder teams to Australia. Another nz team is needed for that to be feasible imo

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm starting to think that we should scrap the idea of NZ2 for a decade or two and fund a QLD cup style competition over there instead. I have no idea how much it would cost, but say a salary cap for an NRL team each year, would that be enough or overkill?
That would be a much stronger outcome if player production is the primary goal. A ten team QRL cup level comp with each of the ten clubs being aligned with an NRL club. Do that for a decade or so and NZ would be able to, playing wise, sustain one or even two new NRL clubs as well as the Warriors actually being a force in the NRL.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
That would be a much stronger outcome if player production is the primary goal. A ten team QRL cup level comp with each of the ten clubs being aligned with an NRL club. Do that for a decade or so and NZ would be able to, playing wise, sustain one or even two new NRL clubs as well as the Warriors actually being a force in the NRL.
Yep, that's the idea. Helps not just NZ, but RL as a whole. Leaves room for PNG, Perth Adelaide or another QLD team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If, more likely when, the NRl goes to a proper reserve grade, then the QRL cup, proper NSW cup with regional sides, possibly others such as NZ, WA and Vic comps could become a good second tier for the game with strong competitions and inter comp challenge cups or 'champions league' style end of season comp. Raising the NZ, WA and Vic comps to match the inevitable lowering of QRL and NSW cup comps would create a strong 5 conference opportunity.

Te Kaha

First Grade

That's exactly what is needed. Allows the regions to feed into a local team and keeps a local team visible for their juniors to aspire to. Means teenagers can stay local while they develop and keep numbers up to keep teams and clubs viable.

Matua

Bench
interstate football goes back to 1908
Off topic, but I do find it funny how often you bring this up. Origin isn't a continuation of the interstate football that had been going on since 1908, it was a new concept that was needed at the time because the old interstate model no longer worked.

Some of us have been arguing for a grassroots comp like this since page one of this ungodly excuse for a thread on lNZ league.

Wb1234

Referee
Off topic, but I do find it funny how often you bring this up. Origin isn't a continuation of the interstate football that had been going on since 1908, it was a new concept that was needed at the time because the old interstate model no longer worked.

Some of us have been arguing for a grassroots comp like this since page one of this ungodly excuse for a thread on lNZ league.

“The interstate encounters between New South Wales and Queensland date back to 1908, when the southern rivals got the better of their opponents with an initial 43-0 thrashing. That match signalled the start of a 70-year era dominated by the side then nicknamed the Blues, which won more than 70% of games against the Queenslanders”

Matua

Bench

“The interstate encounters between New South Wales and Queensland date back to 1908, when the southern rivals got the better of their opponents with an initial 43-0 thrashing. That match signalled the start of a 70-year era dominated by the side then nicknamed the Blues, which won more than 70% of games against the Queenslanders”
Your own link highlights that Origin as a concept is different than the old interstates:

In more than 100 Origin clashes played out over almost four decades.

With the lack of competitiveness came the diminishing relevance of interstate Rugby League in the late 1970s, resulting in the conception of State of Origin, in which players were selected on the state they were initially from, rather than their current state of residence.

Wb1234

Referee
Your own link highlights that Origin as a concept is different than the old interstates:
Hey if you think Changing the selection criteria from where players reside to where players were born means it’s different then you go right ahead

the fact is the tradition of interstate football goes back to the rugby union days we just copied that over to our game. Once the concept was dieing out they listened to ron mcauliffe and made qld players who played in the nswrl back for their home stage

Wb1234

Referee
If, more likely when, the NRl goes to a proper reserve grade, then the QRL cup, proper NSW cup with regional sides, possibly others such as NZ, WA and Vic comps could become a good second tier for the game with strong competitions and inter comp challenge cups or 'champions league' style end of season comp. Raising the NZ, WA and Vic comps to match the inevitable lowering of QRL and NSW cup comps would create a strong 5 conference opportunity.
Nrl reserve grade played before games

nsw and qld cup merged (for the clubs who miss out) plus state leagues and nz teams (ex warriors)

Matua

Bench
Hey if you think Changing the selection criteria from where players reside to where players were born means it’s different then you go right ahead

the fact is the tradition of interstate football goes back to the rugby union days we just copied that over to our game. Once the concept was dieing out they listened to ron mcauliffe and made qld players who played in the nswrl back for their home stage
It's not that I think that, the powers that be think that, which is why your link itself separates the interstates and Origin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl reserve grade played before games

nsw and qld cup merged (for the clubs who miss out) plus state leagues and nz teams (ex warriors)
Thats a very expensive (travel) model and limits the number of clubs who can be in that second tier to a dozen or so.
Better we have 5 second tier conferences of say 8-10 clubs per conference . That'd be a lot more clubs developing players and giving players who wont make the NRl a semi pro opportunity as well as lift standards in WA, Vic and NZ.

Wb1234

Referee
Thats a very expensive (travel) model and limits the number of clubs who can be in that second tier to a dozen or so.
Better we have 5 second tier conferences of say 8-10 clubs per conference . That'd be a lot more clubs developing players and giving players who wont make the NRl a semi pro opportunity as well as lift standards in WA, Vic and NZ.
Well they can invest in that jet like they wanted too and let players stay at the gambaro

Wb1234

Referee

Another nrl club linking up with the kiwi domestic game

Gobsmacked

Bench
NZ already supply around 4 full NRL squads of talent ya peanut