What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench
Every nrl game should be an event.
I'll just tell you between you and me.
Pretend it's just us while you read this.
This is what I know and you know.

Perth crowds aren't going to be great, borderline worst in the league - that's on any like for like scenario after the honeymoon period.

The travel tyranny is the worst in the league bar none.

The ability to attract talent will be the worst in the league bar none.

The costs associated with running a club will be the worst in the league bar none.

They will have the smallest supply of talent in the league bar none.

Those are what YOU and I know for a fact.
If you want to have a discussion about a possible Perth team, I'm all for it. I'm all for a Perth team tbh but let's stick to the FACTS.

Canard

Immortal

Perth crowds aren't going to be great, borderline worst in the league - that's on any like for like scenario after the honeymoon period.

The costs associated with running a club will be the worst in the league bar none.

If you want to have a discussion about a possible Perth team, I'm all for it. I'm all for a Perth team tbh but let's stick to the FACTS.
None of the above is a fact.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Where in Auckland? Which suburbs, which league clubs, juniors teams?

Come on mate, you were so confident earlier in the thread but now you've got no details.
The fans will come from Auckland as the team is based in Auckland. We've both agreed there's no reason we can't grow the sport which involves pulling in some new fans. Are you obtuse on purpose?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Swans have had the highest average attendance in Sydney for decades despite the fact that Aussie Rules is a minor sport in Sydney. Sometimes things just work out that way.
Incorrect as usual they averaged 34k in 2019, 37k in 2018, 36k in 2017 and 36k in 2016... not really that different to 36k in 2023.

Oh and they were averaging 39k in 1997 so their crowds growth grew during the SL war and stagnated as soon as it finished... but that had nothing to do with it of course right Dane?

Canard

Immortal
Incorrect as usual they averaged 34k in 2019, 37k in 2018, 36k in 2017 and 36k in 2016... not really that different to 36k in 2023.

Oh and they were averaging 39k in 1997 so their crowds growth grew during the SL war and stagnated as soon as it finished... but that had nothing to do with it of course right Dane?
Aren't you confirming that the Swans have had the biggest crowds in Sydney?

Perth Red

Post Whore

None of that is FACT, except travel demands bit and even that isnt much worse than Auckland in reality, it’s literally your opinion lol. You can call it an educated guess if you like and it makes you feel better.

Bukowski

Juniors
Kinda get the feeling that support for Perth is running under multiple accounts..
Ok , maybe I know.
Maybe we all know now.
How else could all retorts be as dull as the next..
Kinda obvious.
Oh no, no one agrees with me. They must all be just the one person. I'll call it a fact.

jim_57

Staff member
False equivalence.
Rugby league comes from Union, people play both sports and the skills and a lot of the rules for that matter are interchangeable.
We have already taken over Rugby Union in Australia- it's been done! Watched it happen.
AFL territory hasn't been impenetrable for over 100 years!
Melbourne Storm: Hugely successful, great players, great stadium yet in a city of 5 million have only managed to get what seems to be an expat nsw and qld support along with Islanders and Kiwis- after 30 years of success and every possible thing going according to plan have a small community of the converted!

Things can change but as the odds would stack at converting fans:
Converting a RU fan to League would pay$1= $1.60
Converting an AFL fan to league would pay $1=$1000

We have over a hundred years of history that you'd like to ignore .

If we’re dealing in anecdotes - none of the NSW/QLD expats I know down here follow the Storm, they follow their own teams from NSW/QLD. You see plenty of people of Maori & Islander appearance at games but certainly not a majority. Also you’ll probably find quite a lot of those “Islanders & Kiwis” were born and raised in Victoria or have lived the majority of their lives here.

Matiunz

Juniors
So a minor sport is the highest attended in the city this year? lol
Very much so,
-less than 10,000 players
-less than half the registered players of Union,Soccer and Basketball
-Only 13 out of 110 high schools actually offer League as an option. And this is the ‘strongest’ place in NZ for League and it’s extremely amateur in how the governing body is run compared to the above sports.

As an entertainment product yes THIS year attendance has been outstanding but that will quickly dip if they can’t keep the momentum going.
Free to air coverage is a big hurdle as well, (May have changed as I haven’t watched free to air in years) but it wouldn’t be uncommon to have to wait until 10-11pm (or later) to watch a delayed free to air telecast of a Warriors game.

I can’t see a world where another team in Auckland is a better idea than a team in Wellington/CHCH/Hamilton