What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench
What would you say to people who claim that Aussie Rules will soon become the biggest sport in QLD and they can take over NSW in 5 to 10 years.
Highly Unlikely. But nobody said 5 to 10 years. You just said it can't happen..
Here's a graph showing you where this is going
Rugby union: ↘️
Rugby league:↗️

If things keep going the way they are and we help, it'll happen.
Probably not 5
Maybe 10
15?
It 100% can happen. I've spoken to the converted! Rugby league is going mainstream big times in NZ

Canard

Immortal
Warriors have Australians in the side among other nationalities ffs.
The analogy was almost a direct correlation, apparently doesn't suit your argument.
If kiwis have success for a decade, you'll see similar support grow.
I was in a pub recently for the Italian game, there were plenty that barely knew what was going on- just passionate about their country and the team that had given them a reason to be proud.
I'm happy to move on if you can't except that very obvious fact.
I think where I disagree it's assertion that the All Blacks are only popular because they are representing NZ.

And something else that carries NZ name and colours only has to be successful to replace it.

Canard

Immortal
Highly Unlikely. But nobody said 5 to 10 years. You just said it can't happen..
Here's a graph showing you where this is going
Rugby union: ↘️
Rugby league:↗️

If things keep going the way they are and we help, it'll happen.
Probably not 5
Maybe 10
15?
It 100% can happen. I've spoken to the converted! Rugby league is going mainstream big times in NZ
Those graphs haven't linked.

I appreciate your anecdotal evidence, but note your skepticism of Aussie Rules claim can be directly applied to your claim of League replacing Union in NZ.

Bukowski

Bench
When I was a teenager, I used to buy CD's . It was expensive and you had to be really sure that you wanted it. If I had a couple of dollars, I could walk down to the phone box and call 1 of my mates ( if they were home) then use the back of the phone book to try and remember directions.
Now I have every bit of music made almost in the palm of my hand running through my Bluetooth and my phone on the dash navigating, I get a call, press a button and talk away endlessly all for free.

Point is: anyone suggesting things will never change are fools.
Except in Perth. You believe things in Perth won't change. Fool indeed.

Colk

First Grade

He likes fumbleball and hates union. Another opinion somewhat clouded by their own personal predilections.

Btw I don’t think League is at all likely to supplant RU/All Blacks in NZ or fumbleball in Perth etc but it can be a popular and sound alternative to those sports.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I think where I disagree it's assertion that the All Blacks are only popular because they are representing NZ.

And something else that carries NZ name and colours only has to be successful to replace it.
I didn't say only, there's lots of support for RU. What I said was there's a massive part that comes with patriotism.
How many Kiwis would say that they didn't support the All blacks? None.
How many Australians would say that they don't support the Matildas? None.
There's stuff we do as a nation, it becomes part of our culture.
There's not that many people that have a love for horse racing but we all watch the Melbourne cup.

Look at the crowds in the NPC and tell me it's country gripped by Rugby Union...

MugaB

Coach
He likes fumbleball and hates union. Another opinion somewhat clouded by their own personal predilections.

Btw I don’t think League is at all likely to supplant RU/All Blacks in NZ or fumbleball in Perth etc but it can be a popular and sound alternative to those sports.
Niche is all it HAS to be, carbon copy storm...
In fact Auckland could easily sustain 2 teams, the playeong talent that the country has plus the talent that leave NZ to Australia just to get a contract, could easily fill another team, whether there is a viable bidder out there is the question, i mean there is a chance to cultivate local players, but it can only go thru one team... the warriors, otherwise you move to Sydney, Melbourne or Qld to get that start

Gobsmacked

Bench
False equivalence.
Rugby league comes from Union, people play both sports and the skills and a lot of the rules for that matter are interchangeable.
We have already taken over Rugby Union in Australia- it's been done! Watched it happen.
AFL territory hasn't been impenetrable for over 100 years!
Melbourne Storm: Hugely successful, great players, great stadium yet in a city of 5 million have only managed to get what seems to be an expat nsw and qld support along with Islanders and Kiwis- after 30 years of success and every possible thing going according to plan have a small community of the converted!

Things can change but as the odds would stack at converting fans:
Converting a RU fan to League would pay$1= $1.60
Converting an AFL fan to league would pay $1=$1000

We have over a hundred years of history that you'd like to ignore .

Matua

Bench
Warriors have Australians in the side among other nationalities ffs.
The analogy was almost a direct correlation, apparently doesn't suit your argument.
If kiwis have success for a decade, you'll see similar support grow.
I was in a pub recently for the Italian game, there were plenty that barely knew what was going on- just passionate about their country and the team that had given them a reason to be proud.
I'm happy to move on if you can't except that very obvious fact.
No you wont, you'll just post more bollocks as the thread moves on and you just don't want to be challenged on it.

The analogy is not a direct correlation at all.

The Matildas had a one off big year with the biggest crowds/tv due to the world cup. The All Blacks have the biggest crowds/tv audience every single year. Even this year when the Warriors are flying high the ABs drew a bigger TV audience for an early morning match than a Warriors prime time prelim final.

You only need to look at Warriors support in the years following their big years to know there is a big bandwagon aspect to the Warriors.

Realistically, league is already mainstream in NZ, it's just not as big as rugby.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Niche is all it HAS to be, carbon copy storm...
In fact Auckland could easily sustain 2 teams, the playeong talent that the country has plus the talent that leave NZ to Australia just to get a contract, could easily fill another team, whether there is a viable bidder out there s the question
A niche out of 2 million looks a lot different than a niche out of 5 million.

Gobsmacked

Bench
No you wont, you'll just post more bollocks as the thread moves on and you just don't want to be challenged on it.

The analogy is not a direct correlation at all.

The Matildas had a one off big year with the biggest crowds/tv due to the world cup. The All Blacks have the biggest crowds/tv audience every single year. Even this year when the Warriors are flying high the ABs drew a bigger TV audience for an early morning match than a Warriors prime time prelim final.

You only need to look at Warriors support in the years following their big years to know there is a big bandwagon aspect to the Warriors.

Realistically, league is already mainstream in NZ, it's just not as big as rugby.
Sure pal. You just hold on to that thought.

MugaB

Coach
Melbourne is 5 million.
Ok, but we haven't talked about a 2nd or third team there, (given the size of thier population) as we know that they aren't interested as much as the warriors fans have been lately...again i would think about basing the 2nd team in waikato, an short distance away from Auckland, but not too far that you couldn't attend a derby

The total population of Auckland, Bay of Plenty and Waikato regions, is roughly 2.5 million, thats half of the total population of New Zealand all living in the northern end of the north island

Gobsmacked

Bench
Ok, but we haven't talked about a 2nd or third team there, (given the size of thier population) as we know that they aren't interested as much as the warriors fans have been lately...again i would think about basing the 2nd team in waikato, an short distance away from Auckland, but not too far that you couldn't attend a derby

The total population of Auckland, Bay of Plenty and Waikato regions, is roughly 2.5 million, thats half of the total population of New Zealand all living in the northern end of the north island
There's better options .

MugaB

Coach
There's better options .
Like? Parochial Union Christchurch, and "whats sport? Wellington"
Both are too far away from each other and from Auckland to become a threat to each other, you want a local derby, one that has a bit of hatred, otherwise its a titans vs cowboys affair, thats meh

Wb1234

Immortal
The All blacks can certainly be displaced as far as genuine rugby supporters.
The All blacks are a national team and draw supporters from the nation because of their love for their nation!
Will kiwis like NRL more than thier nation? Of course not! But they can like NRL more than Rugby.

Biggest ratings of the year in Australia: Matildas !
Are we a massive supporter of Women's soccer? Of course not
Do we love our country and want it succeed of a global stage? A big YES

That will always be the case..

Now, the kiwis get thier shit together for a decade and we'll talk.
We dominate with the youth market which is the future

Wb1234

Immortal
It’s hard for boomers to understand that everything they grew up on is shifting and no longer a given.
younger generations are seeing it for what it is and that is far more exciting than Union.
NZ needs another team now !
These old farts just discovered Facebook

Colk

First Grade
It’s hard for boomers to understand that everything they grew up on is shifting and no longer a given.
younger generations are seeing it for what it is and that is far more exciting than Union.
NZ needs another team now !

Sure thing. Not everybody who disagrees with you on this particular point is a boomer and it is lazy to think or assume so. I’m in my 30’s for instance and I disagree that league is going to take over union in NZ (at least in my lifetime)

Things do change yes but not massively so and not quickly. Even if you were to talk about political revolutions which are the most all encompassing of changes; change generally takes lots of time and effort to implement or to force.

Latest posts