What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matiunz

Juniors
Obviously we don't have access to the information necessary to answer the question, but we've also got enough experience to know that bigger crowds doesn't necessarily equal bigger profits, and that there're lots of dirty ways that clubs boost and fudge numbers like that.

Now I'm not accusing the Warriors of doing anything out of the ordinary to boost their numbers, as I honestly wouldn't have a clue in their case, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if they were, there are many clubs in all sports that do, and we should be careful not to encourage that behaviour because it has serious negative long term effects.

We also don't really know what's going on in NZ in general.
Is this Warriors craze just a fad that'll dissipate once they have couple bad seasons?
Are RU's current issues making things look better than they are on the ground, and how long will that last for?
Are their other factors or unforeseen consequences impacting interest in RL over there?

Basically some of us need to claim down and wait to see how things play out in Auckland before we start popping the champagne, because none of us have a clue what's actually going on over there just yet.

BTW; there are some pretty simple ways the NRL could drastically improve game day experience without the need for significant investment in facilities. Simply getting the clubs to take gameday entertainment seriously and invest some actual money into production costs would make a world of difference for most of them.
If nothing else they’ve done well to create a scarcity in tickets.
Mt Smart isn’t the most desirable or easiest location to get to so what they’ve essentially done is made the potential fluctuation in walk up crowd commit early.
I’m sure the club has done the sums and it’s working for them, not sure what factor the vendors or merchandise sales have but I can only assume it’s more lucrative for them with larger crowds. What they are also doing is creating habitual attendees, if fortunes change or prices need to increase at least some of those will stick around and be an addition.
As for other tactics to boost numbers? I have a couple of questions, you often see large patches of empty blue seats in the crowds- it’s not like Go Media has a concourse excuse like Allianz/Commbank. It implied the rest of the home games are sold out but it’s easy enough to get tickets for the games outside of the storm/Broncos. But I bet it’s prompting people on the fence to commit early.
As I’ve said earlier the Warriors are doing a fantastic job of fan engagement at the moment

Obviously we don't have access to the information necessary to answer the question, but we've also got enough experience to know that bigger crowds doesn't necessarily equal bigger profits, and that there're lots of dirty ways that clubs boost and fudge numbers like that.

Now I'm not accusing the Warriors of doing anything out of the ordinary to boost their numbers, as I honestly wouldn't have a clue in their case, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if they were, there are many clubs in all sports that do, and we should be careful not to encourage that behaviour because it has serious negative long term effects.

Is this Warriors craze just a fad that'll dissipate once they have couple bad seasons?
Are RU's current issues making things look better than they are on the ground, and how long will that last for?
Are their other factors or unforeseen consequences impacting interest in RL over there?

Basically some of us need to claim down and wait to see how things play out in Auckland before we start popping the champagne, because none of us have a clue what's actually going on over there just yet.

BTW; there are some pretty simple ways the NRL could drastically improve game day experience without the need for significant investment in facilities. Simply getting the clubs to take gameday entertainment seriously and invest some actual money into production costs would make a world of difference for most of them.

According to this report in the smh last week the Warriors rank second last in terms of overall revenue for FY23.

Given they averaged 22k+ crowds last year (assume that would've ranked fairly well against other clubs?), to then rank near bottom in overall revenue, implies they're definitely sacrificing dollars.

But I think for the the '23 season that trade off made absolute sense. They’d only played 4 home games in 3 years to that point, and came into the year after a very rough '22 season and with a new/unproven coach.

Re-engaging fans would’ve been the biggest off field priority so keeping tickets as affordable as possible was IMO a smart move, and as we've since seen, its paid off brilliantly.

I dont think prices have changed for this year (?) so appears they've decided to continue riding the wave (which again IMO is a good move), but it'll be interesting to where ticket prices sit next season.

Matua

Bench
According to this report in the smh last week the Warriors rank second last in terms of overall revenue for FY23.

Given they averaged 22k+ crowds last year (assume that would've ranked fairly well against other clubs?), to then rank near bottom in overall revenue, implies they're definitely sacrificing dollars.

But I think for the the '23 season that trade off made absolute sense. They’d only played 4 home games in 3 years to that point, and came into the year after a very rough '22 season and with a new/unproven coach.

Re-engaging fans would’ve been the biggest off field priority so keeping tickets as affordable as possible was IMO a smart move, and as we've since seen, its paid off brilliantly.

I dont think prices have changed for this year (?) so appears they've decided to continue riding the wave (which again IMO is a good move), but it'll be interesting to where ticket prices sit next season.
Yeah, I think it's a better plan to sacrifice revenue/profit to get fans back into the game. Especially as the crowds are feeding into the hype train.

I was discussing it with a mate, we reckon that there's a diehard 10k that will always go to Warriors matches, then in a poor year you can add an extra few thousand to that, then in good years an extra 5 to 7k, then in the awesome years like now it's an extra 10K.

It's always a risk to raise the price point of tickets. Super rugby has this issue. The prices are too high when compared with watching at home on your 50+ TV as noted by the dude in the twitter wb posted.

mongoose

Coach

yeah but Rabbitohs were first (excluding Broncos) weren't they? would like to know how they worked that one out

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think we can all agree that AI art is shit and that is a piss poor representation of a Kea.

The bid needs to become professional very soon, to get taken seriously.
Yep they need to hire some artists and f**k the AI stuff off.
AI art is rapidly becoming a badge of shame if it’s used for anything but the most basic of concept art.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Okay, but what happens when the economic realities force the Warriors to pass those costs back onto the fan, and suddenly all those fans that are used to getting in cheap are expected to pay the genuine cost of attending a game? The answer is always bad things.

Furthermore you'd think the fact that they'd only played 4 home games in 3 years would have inherently increased demand because of scarcity without the need to lower prices at all. The whole league has had a jump in attendances since covid without the need to lower prices.

Put simply going by this they are effectively papering crowds for the publicity, and that will backfire on them sooner or later.

Wb1234

Referee

Afl has taken over In Canberra
The bears will kill the Perth team
The dolphins will be a failure

and now

the wahs may be lieing about their crowds and it could all just be unsustainable in nz

wait till your brumbies get booted next

Wb1234

Referee
Okay, but what happens when the economic realities force the Warriors to pass those costs back onto the fan, and suddenly all those fans that are used to getting in cheap are expected to pay the genuine cost of attending a game? The answer is always bad things.

Furthermore you'd think the fact that they'd only played 4 home games in 3 years would have inherently increased demand because of scarcity without the need to lower prices at all. The whole league has had a jump in attendances since covid without the need to lower prices.

Put simply going by this they are effectively papering crowds for the publicity, and that will backfire on them sooner or later.
Their cheapest tickets were in line with union clubs you moron

The Great Dane

First Grade

and now

the wahs may be lieing about their crowds and it could all just be unsustainable in nz

I've literally never said any of that.

I've also been saying for at least a decade that "my" Brumbies are screwed unless there're massive change in the way RU is administered in this country as well. It's an open secret down here that the Brumbies averaged under 5k if you don't include their matches against the Tahs and Reds, so they'll be lucky to see the decade out.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That article is fabricated bs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And?

It seems like the Warriors slashed ticket prices at their own cost to boost attendance numbers. The cost of RU tickets is irrelevant to that.
Not true unless they slashed prices compared to pre-Covid. I’m not in a position to say if that’s the case or not though.

I’d expect they’ll up prices over the next year or two but as long as they keep it incremental I doubt it’ll affect crowds.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yeah, I think it's a better plan to sacrifice revenue/profit to get fans back into the game. Especially as the crowds are feeding into the hype train.

I was discussing it with a mate, we reckon that there's a diehard 10k that will always go to Warriors matches, then in a poor year you can add an extra few thousand to that, then in good years an extra 5 to 7k, then in the awesome years like now it's an extra 10K.

It's always a risk to raise the price point of tickets. Super rugby has this issue. The prices are too high when compared with watching at home on your 50+ TV as noted by the dude in the twitter wb posted.
The interesting thing at the moment is that there are 22-24k showing up every game and the Warriors aren't exactly awesome at the moment. A top 4 finish last year was a good year, but this year they are 13th.

This sort of hype is usually reserved for their GF appearance years

Perth Red

Post Whore
The interesting thing at the moment is that there are 22-24k showing up every game and the Warriors aren't exactly awesome at the moment. A top 4 finish last year was a good year, but this year they are 13th.

They were smart and priced the ticketed memberships cheaply so people have already paid for games regardless of form.

Matiunz

Juniors

I’ve been a little disappointed but curious to note they are pretty much in an identical spot to where they were this time last season.
Guess the difference is expectations- expected spoon (‘23) vs expected top 4 (‘24)

Chris Reid

Juniors

and now

Wally do you realise over 80% of your comments on here are just attacking other sports? It's not normal mate

Latest posts