What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

No doubt. Which begs the question - will there ever be a point where the NRL says no thanks and walks away, leaving one of their markets with a domiciled team without a broadcaster?

There is literally no one else here who will bid. TVNZ is cutting costs like every other state owned enterprise, and TV3's owners have just culled their entire news operation. Unless a streaming service appears out of nowhere, Sky will be the sole bidder.

Who has the most leverage in that situation? The NRL who's selling an undoubtedly valuable commodity, or Sky who's the only one willing/able to pay for it?
It would be an opportunity for Netflix or Prime Video to pick up the rights for cheap. If that were to happen then Australian RL fans who hate Foxtel will subscribe to VPN services in record numbers.

Wb1234

Referee
Watching trolls discussing sky nz cutting the nrl deal is hilarious

if anything it’s the super rugby contract that hasn’t delivered and where the biggest savings will be made

the next nz tv deal will be around 50 million pa which is still a bargain for sky nz.

final say

Juniors
If the NZRU is impacted by it then I hope a few more All Blacks head over to Europe and Japan. More reason to add a team in Christchurch.
Super rugby's appeal is dwindling and they'll be selling a game less next year, a lot of the Rugby stars are headed to Europe and Japan.. While the NRL adds a game and a shiny new team on the South island..
The NRL are likely to get a contract Upgrade with Sky while RU gets a trim..
A new NRL team on the South island will probably result in a direct blow to Rugby Union in NZ straight off the bat!
20 million by my estimates- A Massive blow!
And that's just in the first year.

If the NZRU is impacted by it then I hope a few more All Blacks head over to Europe and Japan. More reason to add a team in Christchurch.
That could well happen. NZR are quite rightly very nervous about the next 12-18mths. The Silver Lake investment was supposed to open up new revenue streams and reduce their reliance on Sky, but so far that hasn’t materialised.

It’d take more than that to kill the game as some are prematurely predicting, but the landscape is almost certain to change and that may begin with relaxing eligibility. Maybe not all the way, but certainly within SR confines.

There’s also a push with SA Rugby to reintroduce full tours including midweek games, and the global club and test competitions being spruiked by WR. All this will impact SR and the RC in some way, but also present different revenue opportunities.

The rugby scene may look completely different in the next 3-5 years.

final say

Juniors
Watching trolls discussing sky nz cutting the nrl deal is hilarious

if anything it’s the super rugby contract that hasn’t delivered and where the biggest savings will be made

the next nz tv deal will be around 50 million pa which is still a bargain for sky nz.
100%
NRL to Sky " our numbers are booming and we're adding a game "
RU to Sky " our numbers are dwindling and we're cutting a game "

Ge, I wonder how this plays out lol

I understand your bias opinion on this, but you didnt really answer my point of why tv audiences cant be relied on. I didnt include the AFL grant when I mentioned they have by far the largest FC revenue. For me attendnace will always be the #1 measure of a clubs active fanbase. Its the most relaible one we have imo.
Anyway for want of being accused of talking afl I'll leave this debate for elsewhere lol.
Of course you value attendances more than all else. It's the one metric AwFuL beats NRL in all markets bar Brisbane.

final say

Juniors
That could well happen. NZR are quite rightly very nervous about the next 12-18mths. The Silver Lake investment was supposed to open up new revenue streams and reduce their reliance on Sky, but so far that hasn’t materialised.

It’d take more than that to kill the game as some are prematurely predicting, but the landscape is almost certain to change and that may begin with relaxing eligibility. Maybe not all the way, but certainly within SR confines.

There’s also a push with SA Rugby to reintroduce full tours including midweek games, and the global club and test competitions being spruiked by WR. All this will impact SR and the RC in some way, but also present different revenue opportunities.

They're are in bad shape.
Imagine this: you let your domestic game deteriorate.. because your main focus is on Internationals.. now because of that deterioration, you need more Internationals..
The All blacks are going to be playing 30 games a year lol

That's the danger with RU growing its international footprint and expanding into countries with strong economies. It's leaving Australia and New Zealand behind because our economies are small. RL is benefiting from being a big fish in a small pond.

The irony of all this is David Campese and Peter Fitzsimpleton argued for years that RL was struggling due to its small international profile.

They're are in bad shape.
Imagine this: you let your domestic game deteriorate.. because your main focus is on Internationals.. now because of that deterioration, you need more Internationals..
The All blacks are going to be playing 30 games a year lol
I get you have strong opinions on what may or may not happen here and I’m happy to debate rationally, I enjoy that. Hysterical hyperbole bores me though so I’ll keep ignoring this sort of stuff.

Super rugby's appeal is dwindling and they'll be selling a game less next year, a lot of the Rugby stars are headed to Europe and Japan.. While the NRL adds a game and a shiny new team on the South island..
The NRL are likely to get a contract Upgrade with Sky while RU gets a trim..
A new NRL team on the South island will probably result in a direct blow to Rugby Union in NZ straight off the bat!
20 million by my estimates- A Massive blow!
And that's just in the first year.
The NRL's biggest selling point is showcasing the world's best rugby league players. Super Rugby used to have the best rugby union players in the world. Now it's second rate. We could get to a point where Sky NZ pays big money for All Blacks Tests and little for Super Rugby.

It might better for the NZRU and ARU to cut their losses and axe Super Rugby. Add Queensland and NSW to an expanded NPC. Use it as a development league for the national teams.

final say

Juniors
The NRL's biggest selling point is showcasing the world's best rugby league players. Super Rugby used to have the best rugby union players in the world. Now it's second rate. We could get to a point where Sky NZ pays big money for All Blacks Tests and little for Super Rugby.

It might better for the NZRU and ARU to cut their losses and axe Super Rugby. Add Queensland and NSW to an expanded NPC. Use it as a development league for the national teams.
It's tough because whatever they do, it's a step back to the start, trying to build rivalry ect

That's the danger with RU growing its international footprint and expanding into countries with strong economies. It's leaving Australia and New Zealand behind because our economies are small. RL is benefiting from being a big fish in a small pond.

The irony of all this is David Campese and Peter Fitzsimpleton argued for years that RL was struggling due to its small international profile.
If Campo or Fitz told me the sun was coming up tomorrow I’d still seek another opinion.

I posted a while back that the international footprint for RU was its biggest strength, but also the source of its biggest challenges in this part of the world. Not just for the economic competition you point out, but in NZR and RA’s attempts to create a more fan-friendly product.

But the global benefits are equally tangible. If NZR was as reliant on pure broadcast revenue as the NRL is, they’d already have gone under. But 40% of their revenue is derived from global sponsorship deals which wouldn’t be possible without that global reach. So in all fairness to them, they’re managing a much more complex beast than Abdo and co are.

He really is either a troll or an afl fan

it’s getting hard to work out which

he was talking about the afl team Collingwood the other day and he called them the pies
He definitely likes to stir the pot. I think he's envious of being an RL fan from Hull and based in Perth. He hasn't seen England beat Australia in a major tournament since 1974. Perth will never be in the same league as Brisbane and Sydney. New Zealand and PNG are growing. He's afraid Perth and England will fall further behind.

Matua

Bench
Most people I know with Sky have a general apathy for the company and would jump ship in an instant. Part of being essentially a monopoly has had NZers paying overs for a while.
It’s a fine balance for Sky as if they didn’t have the NRL their business would suffer, if they lost union too they’d go under overnight. However they don’t have endless money either and would seek to take advantage of being the only bidder, only other real option is something like Watch NRL or similar service cutting out the middle man.
This is what the usual suspects (Wb, Gobs multis) on this thread really don't understand.

Outside of maybe the Auckland league bubble the Warriors, and especially the NRL, don't drive subscriptions, the rugby does - that's a simple fact, the last two years of Warriors hype doesn't change that. Now, back in the early 90s the Winfield Cup essentially saved Sky, but that was due to the fact there was one rugby game a week on TV, and a year or two later Super rugby started.

They will probably pay a premium to keep the Warriors from going to someone else, but if the NRL played hardball and tried for too much they'd likely fail.

Latest posts