What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

kooriguy

Juniors
although i feel it is a disgrace, i dont feel it was based on race, more of just a biased i think, and ten put words in his mouth then cut to mundine who said the rest.. no doubt merrit is angry tho, i would be.

boonboon

Juniors
I think Merritt probably should have got a start as he really impressed last yr and so far this year. However in saying that Hayne was the rookie of the year last year and has had a decent start to the season so is probably a good selection for the future. Then after that it would have come down to ElMasri v Merritt . They both have lots of strengths different strengths, ElMasri is experienced as solid as they get a deinite try scorer and his experience would have helped. More importantly when they didnt pick Hodgson they needed a goal kicker and some experience , if they had picked Hodgo probably would have picked Merritt I would say

As for the racism claims - whoever made them and I dont know as I didnt see it down here in Melbourne - what a poor attempt to make something out of what is nothing and to be honest really offensive to the selectors as people - if it was Merritt a good way to avoid ever getting picked is to make offensive comments about those who could select you

pantherz9103

First Grade
NGR said:
your a drop kick, merritt didnt once mentiuon race, ten news did...

he said he thought he deserved it and doesnt see himself making origin... :roll::roll::roll:

He certainly mentioned it on the report i saw, on ch:9 I think it was. He said 'racial' and Mundine also supported Merritt and said indigenous players have to be 3 or 4 times better than the next guy.

NGR

Juniors
pantherz9103 said:
He certainly mentioned it on the report i saw, on ch:9 I think it was. He said 'racial' and Mundine also supported Merritt and said indigenous players have to be 3 or 4 times better than the next guy.
i do believe the closest thing merrit has been quoted as saying was he doesnt know if it has anything to do with race...

mundine is the influence to any race claims, and considering he has an official role within the club i wouldnt be suprised if he is the official making the claims...

Alex28

Coach
For those who were into me for bringing up the race thing...or who didn't think Merritt would say it...here is the quote straight from Channel Nine (and also seen just then on Sports Tonight):

"I don't know what it is....maybe it is a Souths thing or maybe it is a racial thing. They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks" - Nathan Merritt

So...

NGR - You are a drop kick :)
S.S.T.I.D - f*** off idiot...oh...and pull your head in :)

Farva

Juniors
Poor Nathan Merritt........

Vicitmised cos he is aboriginal. He must be from one of the particular aboriginal clans that the NRL is racist against.....I think its the same one that Mundine belongs to......

Deadset, if he thinks the league doesnt like aboriginal players coming through the representative ranks, its a wonder he made it to the NRL in the first place. I would have thought he would have been cut down at the grassroots level :sarcasm:

We have to stop this now!

Otherwise, soon every team in the NRL will have indigenous players in them.

Hang on................. :shock:

God-King Dean

Immortal
NGR said:
i do believe the closest thing merrit has been quoted as saying was he doesnt know if it has anything to do with race...

mundine is the influence to any race claims, and considering he has an official role within the club i wouldnt be suprised if he is the official making the claims...

Stop trying to shift the blame. Why would he say he doesn't know if it had anything to do with racism if it was mentioned by no one ? Obviously it's more an issue for him than everyone else.

No one made claims, Merrit made an innuendo. Stop trying to blame Mundine & accept that Merritt is a whinger just the same as him.

Nook

Bench
They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks

Sorry, Nathan - it's actually because they don't like nuffies coming through the representative ranks.

He wants to play rep footy, great. So does everyone.

The trick is to be better than the rest. He isn't. Much easier to blame race than be honest to yourself about your own ability.

If you aren't good enough, you don't make it. The trick is, stick your head down, become a better player - and if that still isn't good enough, cop it sweet. Guys like Benny Galea and any number of others have been slogging there guts out for much longer and to much better effect than Nathan Merrit. They haven't played the high level rep stuff because, when it comes down to it, others are better - but you don't hear them making excuses for themselves.

What an incredibly dopey thing to say.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Here we go, this is from the SMH, I put Mundine's quotes in bold. What an idiot. Daley and Fittler were picked ahead of him because they were better players.

Merritt claims racism cost him City spot

South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt claimed racism could be the reason behind his omission from the NSW City Origin team to play NSW Country this week.

The Aboriginal winger was one of the big absentees from the squad, with Bulldog pointscoring machine Hazem El Masri and rising Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne selected instead.

Merritt topped the NRL tryscoring list last season and after a strong start this year would not have been out of place in the City side, but believes his heritage could be a factor in his failure to win a jersey.

"I'm not too sure what it is, maybe it's a Souths thing or it's a racial thing," Merritt told the Nine Network.

"They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks."

NSW rugby league general manager Geoff Carr ridiculed Merritt's claims, pointing to the selection of several players from different racial backgrounds in this year's sides.

City have Lebanese-born Muslim El Masri and Hayne, whose father is Fijian, while the Country side features Aboriginals Preston Campbell and Amos Roberts.

"It's a ludicrous association given the racial mix in all of our representative teams, particularly the City team this year," Carr told the Seven Network.

Former league star Anthony Mundine is the most recent player to claim racism cost him representative selection.

The St George five-eighth often said his Aboriginal heritage was the reason Test champions Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler were selected ahead of him for NSW and Australia.

Now a world champion boxer and also an indigenous officer with South Sydney, Mundine slammed Merritt's non-selection as another case of racism in rugby league.

"There's been an under-belly of racism within rugby league for a long time and if this does not expose it again then I don't know what does," Mundine told the Nine Network.

Bench
Alex28 said:
For those who were into me for bringing up the race thing...or who didn't think Merritt would say it...here is the quote straight from Channel Nine (and also seen just then on Sports Tonight):

"I don't know what it is....maybe it is a Souths thing or maybe it is a racial thing. They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks" - Nathan Merritt

So...

NGR - You are a drop kick :)
S.S.T.I.D - f*** off idiot...oh...and pull your head in :)
You go champ,fire up take no prisonors.
Anyone listening to Mundine is bound to say something stupid,he should of just shut up.
And by the way Elmasri deserves his spot,he should have already played origin,hopefully he gets his chance this year.
Elmasri is a very underated winger,people just think he is an exceptional goal kicker,but he has way more to his game than that.
Hayne on the other hand has done nothing to warrant selection.

Nook

Bench
The teams:

Country
1. Stewart
2. J Morris
3. Quinn
4. Tahu Part Maori/Part aboriginal?
5. Roberts Aboriginal
6. Gidley
7. Kimmorly
8. Fitzgibbon
9. Buderus
10. White
11. Bird
12. Laffranci 2nd/3rd generation Italian :sarcasm:
13. Creagh

14. Campbell Aboriginal
15. Douglas
16. Cross
17. Newton

City
1. Minichello See Laffranchi
2. Hayne Part Fijian
3. Lewis
4. Collis
5. El Masri Born in Lebanon
6. Anasta
7. Gower
8. King
9. Farah Born in Lebanon
10. Thompson
11. Gallen
12. Hoffman
13. Maitua Part Samoan?

14. Wing Part Asian?
15. Watmough
16. Gibbs
17. Pomeroy

Poor Nathan. He isn't good enough, so he blames his skin - and implies that a bunch of people who picked a multi-racial team are racist. He's clearly a bit thick as well as being not quite up to it.

Meritt was DUDDED bigtime,pure and simple.He has been the form winger over the last 18 months,leading try scorer last season in a team that came stone motherless last (without a decent half back as well).Probably some sort of record there.This season he is one again up there,he has built up during the off season and is in surperior form than Hayne and El Masri.And he can kick goals. IMO

Phillips

Referee
KeepingTheFaith said:
The St George five-eighth often said his Aboriginal heritage was the reason Test champions Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler were selected ahead of him for NSW and Australia.

lol

doesnt Daley have aboriginal heritage too?

The Riddler

Juniors
I can understand Nathan being angry with his non selection,but he needs to remember the countless numbers of other players who get snubbed by selectors every season.

I hope that Peter Holmes a Court gives Nathan a kick up the arse for making such stupid comments.

As for Anthony Mundine,Souths should enforce their so called "No Dickheads" policy and give Mundine the punt.

Nook said:
Sorry, Nathan - it's actually because they don't like nuffies coming through the representative ranks.

WTF, Nathan a nuffie. :? The last time I checked he was the leading try scorer from last season (in a sh*t team) and once again this year he is up there with the top try scorers. FFS :x

Bench
Newcastlerabbit said:
Meritt was DUDDED bigtime,pure and simple.He has been the form winger over the last 18 months,leading try scorer last season in a team that came stone motherless last (without a decent half back as well).Probably some sort of record there.This season he is one again up there,he has built up during the off season and is in surperior form than Hayne and El Masri.And he can kick goals. IMO
He might be in better form than hayne but not Elmasri.
Elmasri never gets caught in goal,and very rarely if ever drops a bomb or fumbles a grubber,his positional play more than makes up for his perceived lack of pace.
Just maybe Byrne wouldn't have scored that try against Souths on sunday if Hazem was on the wing,he would have been better positioned to cover the kick,it's called experience and Hazem has it in bucket loads.

Nook

Bench
WTF, Nathan a nuffie. The last time I checked he was the leading try scorer from last season (in a sh*t team) and once again this year he is up there with the top try scorers. FFS

He's a nuffie if he reckons he isn't getting picked because he is black.

He's a good finisher, a good winger. Not the best in the game, not the worst. In good form, maybe he should have made the team? Line ball in my books.

But if he is dopey enough to be capable of coming out and accusing the selectors of racism then he doesn't deserve to play rep footy in the first place. By being a moron he's negated any right he had to feel hard done by. As I said...plenty of guys over the years have come out and said: felt I should have made it, what can you do, I'll keep plugging away. Some have ultimately made it, most haven't. Not all of them had the luxury of being able to attribute their failure to the colour of their skin.

Latest posts