What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Sydney Bears back in the NRL

SHOULD THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS BE LET BACK INTO THE NRL

• YES

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • NO

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • YES AS THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS PLAYING OUT OF NORTH SYDNEY OVAL

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • YES AS THE NORTHERN BEARS PLAYING OUT OF GOSFORD

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
So you state that a Central Coast team would survive. I said North Sydney wouldn't as it has no money. We are both agreeing here in a roundabout fashion.

Why were Norths all but forced to build a new ground on the Central Coast, when it must have been pretty clear they had bugger all funds to do it with?

Norths wouldn't have survived for long. How much of their debt did Manly and the Joint Venture pay off?

You idiot.

We're not agreeing. he NRL said "move - or you're gone" based on NSO - which was a lie.

The Bears put $4 million into the stadium. $12 million+ went into the Neagles "JV" from the Bears - Manly were broke and put in nothing, just relied on NRL money to save them. The Bears were never broke - Manly were. Rort of the century.

Why don't you learn something before shooting your mouth off?

Perth Red

Post Whore
the biggest problem is News Limited (i.e. gallop) is offering millions of dollars in blood money to anyone to relocate to Gosford - but NOT the Bears.

Question is: why?

they shoulod give the Bears $20 million as compensation for wrongly kicking them out and get the CC Bears established with one game at NSO - against Manly - each year.

Because the NRL doesn't ultimately need more East coast teams it needs a national profile to bring in more $'s. Despite Gallop's appeasing words to placate the masses he knows that having a non national Rl is the most damaging aspect of our game after the ownership conflict issue.

InFlames

Juniors
I strongly disagree. Giving the bears one token game at bear park will not reclaim the north shore. 9 and 3 is a HUGE commitment to the Central Coast. It is more than Wests, Balmain, St George and Illawarra fans get. The dogs have zero at their preferred ground ie. Belmore.

The NRL know they have conceded big ground to Union on the North Shore. I will be surprised if they don't move to rectify it very soon.

This is very true. Just about all schools on the north shore compete in rugby union comps and close to none have a league team. Having the bears back would make a huge impact on the area, even if it is only three games at bear park.

mave

Coach
You idiot.

We're not agreeing. he NRL said "move - or you're gone" based on NSO - which was a lie.

The Bears put $4 million into the stadium. $12 million+ went into the Neagles "JV" from the Bears - Manly were broke and put in nothing, just relied on NRL money to save them. The Bears were never broke - Manly were. Rort of the century.

Why don't you learn something before shooting your mouth off?

Geez some of you Bears fans have a twisted view on history.

How about you hold the Bears board accountable for their part in your teams demise.

It is too easy to blame Manly.

madunit is a tigers fan who once said he has a soft spot for the sharks.

Just because this moron has no idea about Rugby League he gets all pissy and offers nothing intelligent to conversations other than really weak attacks.

Now STC, pull your head out of your arse and look at the situation with a level head for a change.

The Bears have no money. Their support base has more than likely shrunk considerably. North Sydney Oval was not deemed good enough for NRL standards. They were looking to relocate for these three reasons.

The next major reason now is that Norths have no players. They are a VB Cup reserves side for Souths. These are all the same reasons why Newtown won't get brought back.

Bringing them back as North Sydney is never ever going to happen, nor will it work.

Central Coast may bring in a side, they may call it the bears, but it won't be affiliated with North Sydney Bears at all.

Now SaveTheChildren, what do you believe Norths has to counter these reasons to ensure they come back into the competition?

1. north sydney LC is making money now - so you are wrong there.
2. the north shore is a massive area which has been lost to RL. time to get them back with the bears.
3. there are plenty of players for new teams. plus a central coast bears can draw on the rich nursery of the central coast.

you have a soft spot for the sharks, surprise surprise.

Geez some of you Bears fans have a twisted view on history.

How about you hold the Bears board accountable for their part in your teams demise.

It is too easy to blame Manly.

the point is the bears had the money to continue and were shafted.

they shouldnt have been axed or forced to merge.

a central coast bears would be a massive success. it would offer the nrl :

1. a team on the central coast. an area RL mad and with loads of juniors, a LC across the road, growing population and a train station close by for ease of travel from sydney

2. regain the north shore of sydney which was lost with the bears demise. a couple of games at nso every year will connect with that. norths also have a strong LC behind them

3. give RL the feel good factor back like when souths came back in. most people
ackowledge the bears were shafted unfairly, and most sydney RL fans didnt mind the bears, had a soft spot for them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

from www.rl1908.com

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The club couldn't cope financially and went into the control of an administrator at the end of the 1999 season. The NRL announced that the Bears would not therefore be considered for inclusion in the 2000 premiership. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After over 90 seasons, the North Sydney club was out. They were soon joined by South Sydney.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The North Sydney club (via its administrator) merged with the enemy Manly Sea Eagles to form the Northern Eagles joint venture club. After two seasons it collapsed in debt and bitter acrimony.[/FONT]​
http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/North-Sydney-Bears.htm

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
And regarding the ground, also from the same website

South Sydney's occassional use of North Sydney Oval - a ground that was once apparently no longer suitable for NRL purposes - 'twisted the knife' even further

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
so there we have facts stating that the Bears were in fact in debt and their ground was deemed unsuitable. Two points I raised and was accused of lying about.

Now wile the area may still be largely unrepresented by an NRL team, moving the side to Gosford is going to make it quite difficult for fans who still live in the Sydney area to get to all the home games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Central Coast get a team in the future, but as I said before, I highly doubt that they'll have any affiliation with the North Sydney Bears.

mave

Coach

They were being run by administraters you goose.

Wasn't the Leagues Club owed $12 million as well?

Please......

so there we have facts stating that the Bears were in fact in debt and their ground was deemed unsuitable. Two points I raised and was accused of lying about.

Now wile the area may still be largely unrepresented by an NRL team, moving the side to Gosford is going to make it quite difficult for fans who still live in the Sydney area to get to all the home games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Central Coast get a team in the future, but as I said before, I highly doubt that they'll have any affiliation with the North Sydney Bears.

1. north sydney LC had money to back them. their financial troubles were caused by the delay in getting their ground finish on time at gosford. they were judged on that season which was not characteristic of their normal operations.

2. the nrl has passed leichhart oval. brookie isnt much better. the nrl wants the dogs to play some games at belmore too which is a dump.

if a central coast bears team wanted to play 3 games at nso, it wouldnt be a problem

3. nths didnt deserve to get axed last time and they would bring a lot to the nrl if they came in now

They were being run by administraters you goose.

Wasn't the Leagues Club owed $12 million as well?

Please......

north sydney LC is around today making money.

how did that happen?

ive heard they didnt want to support the club at the time for various reasons.

the same people that said norths couldnt compete in the nrl also said souths didnt have the finances either.

the same souths who now spend the most amongst all sydney football clubs on their footy operations at $18 - $19 million a year.

I'm pretty sure Souths' debt was paid for by Souths Juniors.

nope.

souths didnt have a debt to begin with.

souths juniors were putting in around $1 million a year, which they no longer do.

souths had bad finances and were kicked out, and are now spend close to double on their footy operations.

the bears on the central coast would do the same, especially if they could get singleton back as a backer, and have 2 LC behind them

mave

Coach
Well if the LC didn't want to support the footy club for whatever reason, people can't really complain when the Bears basically shot themselves in the foot, and then spent the next 100 years blaming Manly for their demise.

The Bears folded due to their own board of directors being clowns and the fact that the NRL/News screwed them. I actually feel really sorry for them and their supporters.

Latest posts