What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Sydney Bears back in the NRL

SHOULD THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS BE LET BACK INTO THE NRL

• YES

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • NO

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • YES AS THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS PLAYING OUT OF NORTH SYDNEY OVAL

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • YES AS THE NORTHERN BEARS PLAYING OUT OF GOSFORD

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mave

Coach
NSO is one of, if not the best, league watching grounds I have ever been to. It makes for a high scoring game of cricket too.

What's your point.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
nope.

souths didnt have a debt to begin with.

souths juniors were putting in around $1 million a year, which they no longer do.

souths had bad finances and were kicked out, and are now spend close to double on their footy operations.

the bears on the central coast would do the same, especially if they could get singleton back as a backer, and have 2 LC behind them
They weren't in debt but they had bad finances?

They weren't in debt but they had bad finances?

i didnt say they had bad finances, the nrl did.

they were proven wrong subsequently.

they had better finances than clubs that were allowed in like the northern eagles, or the nz warriors.

do you think if they came back today they would be strong financially or not?
do you think bringing back a team on the CC as the bears and playing some games at the NSO would be a good thing or not?

you keep saying bringing back the bears isnt on, why?

if they are going to bring in a new team on the coast, it might as well be the bears to get the people of the north shore on board as well.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Leagues Club, which didn't want to be associated with the Football Club in the final days, has the money.

What does the North Sydney Football Club have, finances wise?

It'll be close to not much because at present they are a reserves side for the Bunnies.

The NRL had deemed their ground as being not up to scratch. A few sentimental games does not mean that the NRL has lifted their stance on this at all.

There has been talk recently that there are too many Sydney teams. Why bother discuss bringing back another one when it seems that NRL is considering cutting teams?

If the Central Coast were to have a team, they will be a new entity so as to get the entire community behind it. It's not practical to have North Sydney fans travelling from Sydney to the Central Coast every second week just for home games.

Using your logic, Glebe should be brought back as well. We all know that's not going to happen though.

Furthermore, you had an argument in another thread that success means premierships. Norths have two in the early 1920's and only 2 or 3 Grand Final appearances after that.

While I hate seeing Foundation clubs getting the arse, in the end the NRL is a business and it has business interests at heart, not loyalty to clubs, traditions or history.

1. the LC wanted to be involved in the bears move to the CC. assuming they do so again, then norths do have money.

2. a central coast bears team isnt anotehr sydney team

3. as long as the bears are a central coast team they will be accepted. the northern eagles werent accepted because manly treated gosford with contempt.

4. the tradition of the bears is valuable

5. regaining the north shore is important, norths help that.

6. norths are different to newtown, glebe etc. they shouldnt have been kicked out before and if they returned today would off a lot to RL which neither newtown, glebe, annandale or univeristy wouldnt

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
so there we have facts stating that the Bears were in fact in debt and their ground was deemed unsuitable. Two points I raised and was accused of lying about.

Now wile the area may still be largely unrepresented by an NRL team, moving the side to Gosford is going to make it quite difficult for fans who still live in the Sydney area to get to all the home games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Central Coast get a team in the future, but as I said before, I highly doubt that they'll have any affiliation with the North Sydney Bears.

Madunit

You are the dream customer of News Limited, Swallow anything. The Paris Hilton of LU.

Do you remember "weapons of mass destruction"? Just because it's in print doesn't mean it's true.

The Bears in debt? The Bears put in well over $12 million into the "JV". So - they weren't in debt at all. So why did they get put into administration. Gee, do you think maybe it was to get rid of them somehow and reduce the teams just before the criteria? Duh.

I have had the pleasure of going to North Sydney Oval and I have to say I think it's a great fixture.

It is great having these purpose build Rugby League grounds and Clubs upgrading facilities to make them more comfortable but sometimes I think back to going to some of the older RL venues and I have to say I use to love it, a whole different feeling to a game. My first ever game I went to was a STGeorge V Cronulla game at the SCG as a kid. I don't know who won, probably the Dragons but that memory stays with me and sold me on RL.

Anyway end of ramble..... Yes Nth Sydney oval a few times a year would be a positive for a Central Coast side IMO.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. the LC wanted to be involved in the bears move to the CC. assuming they do so again, then norths do have money.
So this all weighs heavily on whether the Leagues Club wants to be involved. If they don't, then what are Norths chances, financially?

2. a central coast bears team isnt anotehr sydney team
That's right, they will be a new entity completely unrelated to Norths Sydney Bears.

3. as long as the bears are a central coast team they will be accepted. the northern eagles werent accepted because manly treated gosford with contempt.
I think Manly wanted to be themselves and felt forced into the Merger with Norths.

4. the tradition of the bears is valuable
But it's been over 80 years since they last won a premiership.

5. regaining the north shore is important, norths help that.
I agree, but I dare say a Bears side based on the Central Coast won't be playing many, if any at all, games out of North Sydney Oval.

6. norths are different to newtown, glebe etc. they shouldnt have been kicked out before and if they returned today would off a lot to RL which neither newtown, glebe, annandale or univeristy wouldnt
How are they different? Newtown has more Premierships, Glebe's winning percentage was higher than all of those named. Apart from the geography, what makes Norths any different from any other side thats been booted from the comp. Why do they deserve to be reinstated before Perth, Balmain, Wests and St.George?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Madunit

You are the dream customer of News Limited, Swallow anything. The Paris Hilton of LU.

Do you remember "weapons of mass destruction"? Just because it's in print doesn't mean it's true.

The Bears in debt? The Bears put in well over $12 million into the "JV". So - they weren't in debt at all. So why did they get put into administration. Gee, do you think maybe it was to get rid of them somehow and reduce the teams just before the criteria? Duh.
Have you got some proof to back all that up?

IMO the JV was doomed before it got started. Neither really wanted it from what I can recall. From memory there was a lot of in fighting and the commitment to the Central Coast never really seemed to be there. I think a stand alone club, the Bears, could operate as a Central Coast club and be embraced by the community if they want to be there. The Bears had a major financial backer in John Singleton and they did all the analysis on the ability to successfully establish the Bears on the Central Coast so i don't think Singleton would have been prepared to sink his money into something that had no hope. From memory. it was simply that the NRL wanted the Gold Coast at that time that stopped it happening. Just my opinion anyway.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
IMO the JV was doomed before it got started. Neither really wanted it from what I can recall. From memory there was a lot of in fighting and the commitment to the Central Coast never really seemed to be there. I think a stand alone club, the Bears, could operate as a Central Coast club and be embraced by the community if they want to be there. The Bears had a major financial backer in John Singleton and they did all the analysis on the ability to successfully establish the Bears on the Central Coast so i don't think Singleton would have been prepared to sink his money into something that had no hope. From memory. it was simply that the NRL wanted the Gold Coast at that time that stopped it happening. Just my opinion anyway.

The JV should have been doomed. It was a rort from day 1 to keep Manly from falling over. How else does a club with $12 million get declared likely to be insolvent after helping to build Gosford when the bankrupt club, Manly, putsw in zilch and ends up with the licence.

The JV should have been doomed. It was a rort from day 1 to keep Manly from falling over. How else does a club with $12 million get declared likely to be insolvent after helping to build Gosford when the bankrupt club, Manly, putsw in zilch and ends up with the licence.

Well I don't have any facts on all that so I cannot really comment, but as far as the go forward from here is concerned I personally think the if the Bears could raise the finances a Bears team on the Central Coast would be wonderful (and heal a few wounds)

Red Bear

Referee
Alot of points raised here

Firstly - Yes, football club was in massive debt. Im not going to try and deny that, our board was inept.
No - I dont blame Manly as such, altho the dealings in the JV were all very shady

Now, if the leagues club indeed did have all that money locked away why in f**k didnt they inject it striaght into the club, money we needed so we could somewhat easily move to the CC

Finally, we should've been there regardless, the NRL could've got us thorugh debt as they have with numerous sides, theyve helped Newcastle (regional side), happily gave NZ another licence after Auklund went bust, and have put up with the money pit that is Melbourne Storm. The debt was somewhere between 4 and 6 million, mainly due to the f**king weather for christs sake, a sporting admin with vision would notice this was out of the ordinary and realise we'd be on an even keel in the near future. I personally think that we should've said we would move in 2000, so as to ensure our financial security for 99 and be in a better position in 2000, along with LC money etc. The f**kedness of the situation, however, from this glorious sporting regime that the NRL is, is that they said that by moving to the Central Coast, we would be given the status of a country side. This would exempt us from the Sydney cull and also probly see us get any financial assistance as f**king disgracefully managed clubs such as Newcaslte have been. At the last minute this was changed by the NRL to say that no, we are still sydney, after all the f**king sh*t we went through and money we put in, hell the stadium still says go bears. This was a disgrace and injustice to a proud rugby league club who did a whole f**king lot for the game over their 90+ year existance in the top flight.

News Rugby League will never be forgiven unless we see the Bears, in red and black, back in the top flight.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
madunit is a tigers fan who once said he has a soft spot for the sharks.

Just because this moron has no idea about Rugby League he gets all pissy and offers nothing intelligent to conversations other than really weak attacks.

Now STC, pull your head out of your arse and look at the situation with a level head for a change.

The Bears have no money. Their support base has more than likely shrunk considerably. North Sydney Oval was not deemed good enough for NRL standards. They were looking to relocate for these three reasons.

The next major reason now is that Norths have no players. They are a VB Cup reserves side for Souths. These are all the same reasons why Newtown won't get brought back.

Bringing them back as North Sydney is never ever going to happen, nor will it work.

Central Coast may bring in a side, they may call it the bears, but it won't be affiliated with North Sydney Bears at all.

Now SaveTheChildren, what do you believe Norths has to counter these reasons to ensure they come back into the competition?
1) North Sydney Oval not up to standard? You really did drink
the super league Koolaid didn't you. Try popping down for a
NSW one dayer sometime, going to the ground might give you
some credibility. John Ribot reckoned the game was going
to be huge in China.

Did the super league model really work ie. people don't go to
the football to see the game, they go for the toilet facilities?
Not everyone spends their time hanging around public toilets
like Cronulla fans. People flock to see league games at ANZ
just to go to the toilet.

2) Norths have no players. I thought Joe Cool, The Flo and
pigdog could make a comeback. How would that be any different
to introducing a Perth, Adelaide or Gold Coast team?

3) Their support base has shrunk. No kidding, they completely
surrendered the North Shore to rugby union. Maybe they should
take it back and the Central Coast with it.

4) The bears are broke. A complex issue, but not insurmountable.
They have the brand, a support base and and a massive
expansion region to exploit. The NRL should prop it up until
it is viable. They are better off propping up the Norths/Central
Coast than Melbourne. Trying to defeat AFL over union is as
stupid as going to the football for the toilet facilities.

Singo would seriously consider a 9/3 split. The bears have no
supporter baggage. I never said bring the bears back as North
Sydney. They need to come back as the North Sydney Central Coast BEARS.
Include everybody. It is smart marketing.

Last edited:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Well if the LC didn't want to support the footy club for whatever reason, people can't really complain when the Bears basically shot themselves in the foot, and then spent the next 100 years blaming Manly for their demise.

The Bears folded due to their own board of directors being clowns and the fact that the NRL/News screwed them. I actually feel really sorry for them and their supporters.

A manly supporter living in Maroubra. How quaint.

Latest posts