What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Sydney Bears back in the NRL

SHOULD THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS BE LET BACK INTO THE NRL

• YES

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • NO

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • YES AS THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS PLAYING OUT OF NORTH SYDNEY OVAL

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • YES AS THE NORTHERN BEARS PLAYING OUT OF GOSFORD

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
the biggest problem is News Limited (i.e. gallop) is offering millions of dollars in blood money to anyone to relocate to Gosford - but NOT the Bears.

Question is: why?

they shoulod give the Bears $20 million as compensation for wrongly kicking them out and get the CC Bears established with one game at NSO - against Manly - each year.

Why? They want to kill Cronulla. If the only way to get rid of them is by relocation then so be it. Getting rid of Cronulla is crucial to the future of rugby league. They figure killing Cronulla is more important than reclaiming the North Shore. I disagree.

We need to find a way to kill Cronulla ASAP. Cronulla is a cancer that must be reined in very soon, before they kill us all.

Last edited:

earl park riot

Juniors
For those who are interested there's an interview with Bears GM Greg Florimo which as just been posted on www.leaguetv.com.au . Toward the end of the interview, the conversation turns to the Bears' hopes of re-entering the NRL on the Central Coast. At one point, he's asked how long it would take the club to establish a financially viable team at Gosford. He reckons 2011 is a realistic goal. The football club has not given up hope of getting back in and they believe a Bears team based on the CC would have the financial means to make it a success. It's now just a matter of waiting to be invited back. I don't think anyone realistically expects that to happen in the near future, but as Flo always says where there's life, there's hope. And as well all know, North Sydney fans have become very patient over the years....

BrisVegas

Juniors
For those who are interested there's an interview with Bears GM Greg Florimo which as just been posted on www.leaguetv.com.au . Toward the end of the interview, the conversation turns to the Bears' hopes of re-entering the NRL on the Central Coast. At one point, he's asked how long it would take the club to establish a financially viable team at Gosford. He reckons 2011 is a realistic goal. The football club has not given up hope of getting back in and they believe a Bears team based on the CC would have the financial means to make it a success. It's now just a matter of waiting to be invited back. I don't think anyone realistically expects that to happen in the near future, but as Flo always says where there's life, there's hope. And as well all know, North Sydney fans have become very patient over the years....

Waiting for an invite will never work. The Gold Coast didn't wait around, they spent over half a decade working on a submission, were knocked back on their first attempt in 2004, took the NRL's criticism on-board, addressed their shortcomings, and less than 12 months later they had a bid so strong in was untenable for the NRL to knock them back once more.

One of the key indicators that the WA Reds mean business is that they are not demanding an NRL license, but in their varous press releases they constantly mention that their goal is to submitt a bid that is so strong and has sufficient public support that the NRL must grant them entry.

As Jack Nicholson says in The Departed: "No one gives it to you. You have to take it." It rings true given the current weak NRL adminstration, where doing what is easy takes precidence over doing what is right or best for the game.

Red Bear

Referee
Waiting for an invite will never work. The Gold Coast didn't wait around, they spent over half a decade working on a submission, were knocked back on their first attempt in 2004, took the NRL's criticism on-board, addressed their shortcomings, and less than 12 months later they had a bid so strong in was untenable for the NRL to knock them back once more.

One of the key indicators that the WA Reds mean business is that they are not demanding an NRL license, but in their varous press releases they constantly mention that their goal is to submitt a bid that is so strong and has sufficient public support that the NRL must grant them entry.

As Jack Nicholson says in The Departed: "No one gives it to you. You have to take it." It rings true given the current weak NRL adminstration, where doing what is easy takes precidence over doing what is right or best for the game.
lol
from the time we were put on our arse we were working on getting back into the game
we had a superior big in 04, quite easily, so they gave the Gold Coast time to catch up.

Brimmer

Juniors
Personally I think we need to rationalise the competition not drag it back into it's insular ways. Sydney has more than enough clubs. Gosford...Maybe. But I'd be more for an existing NRL sydney club to relocate there.

Alot of points raised here

Firstly - Yes, football club was in massive debt. Im not going to try and deny that, our board was inept.
No - I dont blame Manly as such, altho the dealings in the JV were all very shady

Now, if the leagues club indeed did have all that money locked away why in f**k didnt they inject it striaght into the club, money we needed so we could somewhat easily move to the CC

Finally, we should've been there regardless, the NRL could've got us thorugh debt as they have with numerous sides, theyve helped Newcastle (regional side), happily gave NZ another licence after Auklund went bust, and have put up with the money pit that is Melbourne Storm. The debt was somewhere between 4 and 6 million, mainly due to the f**king weather for christs sake, a sporting admin with vision would notice this was out of the ordinary and realise we'd be on an even keel in the near future. I personally think that we should've said we would move in 2000, so as to ensure our financial security for 99 and be in a better position in 2000, along with LC money etc. The f**kedness of the situation, however, from this glorious sporting regime that the NRL is, is that they said that by moving to the Central Coast, we would be given the status of a country side. This would exempt us from the Sydney cull and also probly see us get any financial assistance as f**king disgracefully managed clubs such as Newcaslte have been. At the last minute this was changed by the NRL to say that no, we are still sydney, after all the f**king sh*t we went through and money we put in, hell the stadium still says go bears. This was a disgrace and injustice to a proud rugby league club who did a whole f**king lot for the game over their 90+ year existance in the top flight.

News Rugby League will never be forgiven unless we see the Bears, in red and black, back in the top flight.

i want the bears back but its only partly going to heal the wounds of the other lost traditional clubs.

and illawarra and saints should be stand alone teams as well.

1. So this all weighs heavily on whether the Leagues Club wants to be involved. If they don't, then what are Norths chances, financially?

2. That's right, they will be a new entity completely unrelated to Norths Sydney Bears.

3. I think Manly wanted to be themselves and felt forced into the Merger with Norths.

4. But it's been over 80 years since they last won a premiership.

5. I agree, but I dare say a Bears side based on the Central Coast won't be playing many, if any at all, games out of North Sydney Oval.

6. How are they different? Newtown has more Premierships, Glebe's winning percentage was higher than all of those named. Apart from the geography, what makes Norths any different from any other side thats been booted from the comp. Why do they deserve to be reinstated before Perth, Balmain, Wests and St.George?

1. any bid weighs on finances. with 2 LC behind them i think its a good idea, esp. if singo gets involved.

2. bears are the bears mate, stop being pedantic. red and black and called bears, the old fans will lap that up. ask the ones on here rather than making silly conclusions for them

3. whatever the reason, manly caused the problems on the CC

4, childish

5. black and red and bears will get loads of people jumping back. 3 games at nso will cement the link, a similar number that the tigers play at campbelltown

6. newtown had a fair chance and failed pretty much of their own accord. the bears were a strong side on and off the field who basically because of SL were a victim and would still be around today

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the only way to get rid of them is by relocation then so be it. Getting rid of Cronulla is crucial to the future of rugby league. They figure killing Cronulla is more important than reclaiming the North Shore. I disagree.

We need to find a way to kill Cronulla ASAP. Cronulla is a cancer that must be reined in very soon, before they kill us all.
Why?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. any bid weighs on finances. with 2 LC behind them i think its a good idea, esp. if singo gets involved.
There are a lot of ifs in your argument regarding finances. I'm sure you'll understand and agree that a business is not going to make an investment on property that cannot state categorically it can look after itself financially. FInances were a big reason why the Bears were booted. They'd need to prove they have the finances for certain before the NRL would even consider thinking about possibly maybe bringing the bears back in any form. Based on your arguments/points thus far, there isn't enough solid proof they can do this just yet.

2. bears are the bears mate, stop being pedantic. red and black and called bears, the old fans will lap that up. ask the ones on here rather than making silly conclusions for them
I'm making no conclusions. If the Central Coast have a team, don't you think for marketing and money reasons it'd be better that it be a Central Coast team, not a relocated team that a large portion of the public may not support? No one knows how many Bears fans there are on the Central Coast, but if Gallop announced that the Central Coast had won a bid to have their own team you can rest assured the whole area will get behind a Central Coast team more than a relocated team. That's simply logic.

3. whatever the reason, manly caused the problems on the CC
How submissive of you.

4, childish
Childish. It was YOU who said Cronulla is not a successful club because it hasn't won any premierships. They may not have won any in the last 40 odd years, but the bears haven't won any in twice that time. You're a hypocrite mate.

5. black and red and bears will get loads of people jumping back. 3 games at nso will cement the link, a similar number that the tigers play at campbelltown
It may do, but the NRL thinks more about getting money out of the local area. If the Bears are to come back, it will have to be as North Sydney Bears and they will have to be based at North Sydney Oval. Re: The Tigers grounds. It's a completely different situation. The Tigers admin are only playing at Leichhardt and Campbelltown purely in a pissweak attempt to not alienate the fans. The time will come in the not too distant future when the Tigers will decide to either play entirely at Campbelltown or ANZ in my opinion.

6. newtown had a fair chance and failed pretty much of their own accord. the bears were a strong side on and off the field who basically because of SL were a victim and would still be around today
They weren't strong off the field. We've already gone over this. They were put in the hands of administrators, they had debt. After Superleague there were over 20 teams, the comp needed to be cut back, which is why a criteria, mainly focused on marketability and potential income they could generate for the game, as well as being financially viable as a club was brought in. It was strict, and unfortunately most of the foundation clubs got the arse. You see, the game changed, it had a brand new image, it wanted to move forward. History and Tradition means very little in most cases when you're talking business. This was seen when Balmain, Wests, Norths, St.George, Souths and Manly were all given an ultimatum.

At the end of the day History means bugger all to the NRL, it's all about the $$$.

And if any team is to brought back/into the comp, they will need to prove, above all else, that they'll be able to make themselves and the NRL heaps of $$$.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
FInances were a big reason why the Bears were booted. They'd need to prove they have the finances for certain before the NRL would even consider thinking about possibly maybe bringing the bears back in any form.
And if any team is to brought back/into the comp, they will need to prove, above all else, that they'll be able to make themselves and the NRL heaps of $$$.

madunit

You're an idiot and you don't listen.

One crucial reason the CEOs of the clubs have voted against the CC Bears is because it will be a financial powerhouse with massive support from 2 regions, backed by Singo, Harvey Norman etc.

The Bears were the only club that put millions into securing their own future.

Manly were broke then and struggling now. Melbourne Storm need $6 million+ every year from News Limited to survive now. Canterbury have just lost a major sponsor and will struggle to replace them.

Look at the facts, you clown.

A Central Coast Bears team would be great for rugby league. Trouble is - it would make the other incompetent. propped-up clubs look weak by comparison - especially when the best players in the comp want to join the CC Bears.

earl park riot

Juniors
Take your point Brisvegas but if you watch the interview, Flo makes it clear they're actively working towards re-entry and are in regular contact with the NRL. Yes they have to be pro-active, getting their business plan in place and working locally (on the CC) to garner support and so on. My point re the waiting game, relates to supporters of the club. Gallop has made it clear no expansion in the short term...so you'd have to guess it could be a few years at least.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit

You're an idiot and you don't listen.

One crucial reason the CEOs of the clubs have voted against the CC Bears is because it will be a financial powerhouse with massive support from 2 regions, backed by Singo, Harvey Norman etc.

The Bears were the only club that put millions into securing their own future.

Manly were broke then and struggling now. Melbourne Storm need $6 million+ every year from News Limited to survive now. Canterbury have just lost a major sponsor and will struggle to replace them.

Look at the facts, you clown.

A Central Coast Bears team would be great for rugby league. Trouble is - it would make the other incompetent. propped-up clubs look weak by comparison - especially when the best players in the comp want to join the CC Bears.
Yet the only person to provide any facts in this whole debate has been me.

Now, petty bullsh*t attacks aside, I'm happy to debate the merits of your argument once you back it up with some sourced evidence.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
I've not been here long but already i know that asking RR to argue like an adult, with facts and sources and a level head, is like expecting a kangaroo to drive a forklift. I can't blame him - i'd be bitter if it had been the bears not manly who survived the joint venture, but his passionate but misguided rage makes reasonable discussion next to impossible.

RainMan

Juniors
Yet the only person to provide any facts in this whole debate has been me.

Now, petty bullsh*t attacks aside, I'm happy to debate the merits of your argument once you back it up with some sourced evidence.

Good luck. Don't want to ruin his stories with fact now would we...

1. There are a lot of ifs in your argument regarding finances. I'm sure you'll understand and agree that a business is not going to make an investment on property that cannot state categorically it can look after itself financially. FInances were a big reason why the Bears were booted. They'd need to prove they have the finances for certain before the NRL would even consider thinking about possibly maybe bringing the bears back in any form. Based on your arguments/points thus far, there isn't enough solid proof they can do this just yet.

2. I'm making no conclusions. If the Central Coast have a team, don't you think for marketing and money reasons it'd be better that it be a Central Coast team, not a relocated team that a large portion of the public may not support? No one knows how many Bears fans there are on the Central Coast, but if Gallop announced that the Central Coast had won a bid to have their own team you can rest assured the whole area will get behind a Central Coast team more than a relocated team. That's simply logic.

3. Childish. It was YOU who said Cronulla is not a successful club because it hasn't won any premierships. They may not have won any in the last 40 odd years, but the bears haven't won any in twice that time. You're a hypocrite mate.

4. They weren't strong off the field. We've already gone over this. They were put in the hands of administrators, they had debt. After Superleague there were over 20 teams, the comp needed to be cut back, which is why a criteria, mainly focused on marketability and potential income they could generate for the game, as well as being financially viable as a club was brought in. It was strict, and unfortunately most of the foundation clubs got the arse. You see, the game changed, it had a brand new image, it wanted to move forward. History and Tradition means very little in most cases when you're talking business. This was seen when Balmain, Wests, Norths, St.George, Souths and Manly were all given an ultimatum.

At the end of the day History means bugger all to the NRL, it's all about the $$$.

1. any bid is subject to finances. im saying if they are strong its a good idea.

2. CC will be happy as long as they get their own team. trying also to get the north shore back as well with 1 club. 2 birds, 1 stone.

3. thats not what i said

4. they were as strong as many other nrl clubs that also had massive debts and succeeded. the nrl should have been patient, but with too many teams threw the baby out with the bathwater

Hanscholo

Bench
Im not happy having no club in Nth Sydney other than Manly...it is really poor planning long term to just leave half of the city uncovered.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. any bid is subject to finances. im saying if they are strong its a good idea.
There you go with another big if. What was once a confident belief has fast become a doubtful hope.

2. CC will be happy as long as they get their own team. trying also to get the north shore back as well with 1 club. 2 birds, 1 stone.
Nice theory. A central coast team that is called the bears is still not the North Sydney Bears. It is the Central Coast bears.

3. thats not what i said
You'd do well to go and check.

4. they were as strong as many other nrl clubs that also had massive debts and succeeded. the nrl should have been patient, but with too many teams threw the baby out with the bathwater
No they weren't. They were in a huge debt. How many times do you need to be told.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
There you go with another big if. What was once a confident belief has fast become a doubtful hope.

Nice theory. A central coast team that is called the bears is still not the North Sydney Bears. It is the Central Coast bears.

You'd do well to go and check.

No they weren't. They were in a huge debt. How many times do you need to be told.

So what do you propose the NRL do about the strength of rugby union on north shore?