What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

V1er

Juniors
His playing career is secondary at the moment, His health is of the utmost at the moment. hopefully rehab will do wonders for him.

spiderdan

Bench
Bigfella said:
Couldn't agree more Hellsy.

I also think Kris Keating would get picked before Trent, (or Burt Hayne or Inu into the halves even),

Trent is nowhere near ready for first grade IMO.
really? coz he was real close to making his debut last year.

Oscarman

Juniors
Would the club be looking at some sort of behavioural contract (like Jonah in Summer Heights High) that included weekly and random alcohol testing that if breached resulted in the playing contract being terminated?

I think the right decision has been made. Well done Fitzy, Ovo etc.

eel4life

Juniors
Good, the club has done the right thing by him.

now lets hope timmy gets himself fixed up, and back on track ...

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I'm Happy that Tim has checked himself to a clinic..
I'm glad he's suspended without pay and also glad that football should be on the back burner for a while until he fixes himself up.
This should of been done last week...

Yesterday I was extrmely angry at Tim and the club...today I feel very meloncholie but at the moment I'm proud of the club and the young kid for the move they've mate and wish the kid all the best in the future.

Time to get on with life.

Before we do that, I'd love to hear some talk come out of our club about what they intend on doing to end to drinking culture that IMO clearly exists.

Gronk

Staff member
All good for mine. As I said yesterday, cutting him loose will serve no purpose other than giving Brisbane or Penrith a good halfback.

Fitzy knows that and has done the right thing by suspending him. IIRC he can even exclude him from the top25 like he did with Judas if this ends up longer than hoped and that will give some relief under the salary cap. The good thing is that if he can get his life together he will play for the Eels.

ParraManiac

Juniors
this is a great result, a common sense result. A result that for once from an NRL club shows a commitment to a player, rather than just being concerned about how it looks to others with their own agendas.

Gronk

Staff member
We have a few quality options. The future is bright.

That Maloney kid went well last year before he snapped something.

Bigfella

Coach
really? coz he was real close to making his debut last year.

I've heard something similar actually, and was very surprised.

Not sure exactly who was available at that time, but couldn't see him being a better option than Keating, Mateo, Finch at least (and last year we had Green and PJ as well, so it does surprise me that he was apparently close to getting a run).

Fathead

Bench
fish eel said:
Before we do that, I'd love to hear some talk come out of our club about what they intend on doing to end to drinking culture that IMO clearly exists.

:clap: :clap:

bartman

Immortal
As Colonel, Fishy and a few others have mentioned, I have concern about the culture Tim will be returning to, and hope the club doesn't let Tim - and other youngsters like Tim - down by failing to take some steps to improve that.

On radio this morning Fitzy said there was going to be a meeting between management and the full time squad around behaviour, which I presume can only mean the public drinking stories that have made the press recently and through previous seasons.

I was particularly concerned with the tone of the comments from fellow players offering their "support" for Timmy over this issue - they clearly didn't believe Tim had a problem and seemed like they were saying that getting on the drink that regularly is OK for full time professional well paid athletes, not to mention the impression that potentially can leave about the club who employs them and the sponsors that pay into the club.

Good times in moderation. If they stick to that rule, and only let their hair down say on Mad Monday in a safe environment, then there would be no problems for the club or for individual players. Let's get these guys treating their bodies like temples like real athletes, they're paid enough to make that sacrifice.

parra73

Juniors
good to hear that he has checked himself into rehab lets hope he turns it around & backs himself to take his place in the team, now lets look forward to round 1.

Fathead

Bench
V1er said:
His playing career is secondary at the moment, His health is of the utmost at the moment. hopefully rehab will do wonders for him.

I wonder.. If his name was Steve Irwin or another plodder he would have been sent on his way. The sad reality of life with footy players is that the only reason we kept Tim Smith and sent him to rehab was because we didnt want to see him go to another club and be used against us. All this talk about being there for the player and being mindful for his health is a convienient fallback. The bottom line is that its all a commercial decision.

We really need to stamp out the boofhead culture that seems to be developing at the eels. Its no wonder that Finch and Riddell were the blokes who were so vocal about his retention as they are two of the biggest boofheads there. At the moment we are fast approaching the dogs as the team with the idiots. That does nothing for the mums and dads who want to take the kids to the game.

Is it just the eels or is this just life for young blokes with heaps of money and nothing better to do ? Can the eels really stamp out the problem? Is it a signing / retention problem?

One solution is to give a mentoring role to the senior players and pay them for the role. Sort of like what AA does. Partner someone like Luke Burt up with a young fella and make the mentoring role official. Sure it may take some rejigging due to personailites but it would save someone like Tim hanging around and learning from boofheads like Finch and Riddell and it may just not only save a players footy career, it may save his long term health.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
rehab doesn't always work but at least its a step in the right direction

we haven't heard the end of this, not by a long shot

sooperdooper

First Grade
Well done parra...the right decision was made...
It is now up to Tim and those close to him.
I was never wanting him to be sacked... i wouldnt want any parra player to be sacked for drinking problems unless the law was broken!

Yes on another note there needs to be big changes within our club due to discipline...Hagan needs to get tougher!
but a meeting and rules need to be set in place for this! no one is stopping them having fun and enjoying a drink and party! but only at the right times!

To Fix the Drinking Culture we are brining Brian Smith Back to the club, as a Player Behaviour Coach, this coupled with the repayment of Sponsorships from the Local Drinking Holes, will see the club get back on the Straight and Narrow.

MarkInTheStands said:
To Fix the Drinking Culture we are brining Brian Smith Back to the club, as a Player Behaviour Coach, this coupled with the repayment of Sponsorships from the Local Drinking Holes, will see the club get back on the Straight and Narrow.

WTF Mitsy??????

muznik

Juniors
Well I suppose the best outcome for all involved.

We still get first rights to him, dont have to pay him until he can prove hes sorted himself out and he gets the help he needs.

Lets just hope its not the same rehab Ben Cousins went to !

Latest posts