What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sold on the Roosters yet...

Bulldog Force

Referee
Why would you suggest that ?

I try to be very fair with my comments. I can't help it, if Souths and C/bury supporters hate the truth . It's pathetic. Everyone knows that the roosters, manly and storm can only win the comp.
Souths and Canterbury will make the 8, but will only be masking up the numbers.

Ps- I will agree that I should be more astute with my spelling errors, on my iPad . At times it lets me down .

I will be again proven correct. Souths = losing culture = pedigree of failure.
Truth? You suggest that the teams coming 2nd and 5th don't have a chance this year.

GONZO72

Juniors
Truth? You suggest that the teams coming 2nd and 5th don't have a chance this year.

Bulldog force, firstly, might I commend you on a decent question.

I have said for weeks that Souths will not win the premiership. My reasoning is .......
1-they have a pedigree for losing
2-in finals footy, they choke
3-their backline minus Inglis is rubbish
4-they have a horrid bench
5-and now injuries have finally struck them.

They, I repeat, cannot win the premiership.

The Bulldogs, are a slightly different proposition. Unlike Souths, they know how to win the big matches. Unfortunately, not in 2013

1-the club hasn't recovered from the turmoil that beset them earlier on
2-Barba injured
3-slow backline, won't hurt you
4-teams now aware of their sweeping movement with decoys
5-manly and the roosters have their measure

I hope this assists you.

Bulldog Force

Referee

I have said for weeks that Souths will not win the premiership. My reasoning is .......

The Bulldogs, are a slightly different proposition. Unlike Souths, they know how to win the big matches. Unfortunately, not in 2013

2-Barba injured

I hope this assists you.
Ok fine, I'll put answer to those questions from my point of view:
Souths:
-- Perhaps, however they would have made last years grand final if their main playmaker, Adam Reynolds, did not get injured in the preliminary final. They were all over the Bulldogs in that game, and that was the turning point.
My above answer is also relevant to this
Some might disagree as Nathan Merritt can find the tryline. Regardless, you don't need big name players to win.
It seems to have done the job for them so far - they have won the same amount of games as Roosters

Yes, but Inglis and John Sutton should be back for the finals.

Your 5 about the bulldogs

If you're talking about the Barba thing, I don't know what more needs to be said. The club has pretty much conceded that he's going to Brisbane, and now that he's gone (and they all know it), they can focus on their footy
2-Barba injured

True, but we aren't a 1-man team. Look at our forwards, one of the big forward packs in the game - Kasiano, Pritchard, Tolman, Graham, and the younger guns coming through. 3-slow backline, won't hurt you
Josh Morris isn't slow, and the Inu/Perrett combo has worked wonders since both players signed with the club
Yet they still seem to work
We have beaten Manly this year. The roosters are better yes I'll admit that.

bor

Juniors
After being a chooks fan, watching them the last few years (not including 2010), I myself am not 100% convinced they can win the comp. But every win we get adds to my belief in them.

Sure, they've had a great season so far but finals footy is another step up. I know the kind of football they have been known to produce under Smith under pressure, just hope Robbo will be able to help them not turn to rubble when the big games count.

BranVan3000

Coach

2-Barba injured

I hope this assists you.
Horrid bench? If nothing else, we probably have one of the best benches in the competition

big hit!

Bench
Let it be known that I always talked up the Easts forward pack and said that Easts would be a contender prior to the start of this season while the experts (let me correct that to flogs) around here were rubbishing the opinion.

big hit!

Bench
Bulldog force, are you stalking me? I love it, how u go back to my earlier posts . I jokingly said, I was a souffs supporter, as if !
My forecast re Souths have been spot on. I truly feel sorry for Souths fans. I said last week, they'd choke, and they were destroyed by the lowly cowboys. It was. 30-0 at one stage, could have been 50.
Souths will get smashed next week by the storm, and by manly . The dogs could even beat them. In round 26 against the roosters, there best hope is, for the chooks to rest 10 of their players.
SOUTHS ARE GONE

Yep, cos it was the first time in world sport that a poorly performing team comes out the same week their coach gets the arse and puts in a blinder. Let's not forget the added emotion for Muz.

Souths aren't firing at the mo. No dispute there. Last week was a major break in routine with a week-long camp in NQ in the lead-up to the weekend game. It was a great opportunity for the S&C staff to put in one final week of high volume training and in conditions which will be more suited to September football. Such a slump in form over the last month is normally attributable to the increased training volume cycle some finals bound teams utilise before de-loading and tapering. Melbourne normally always (and have this season as well) have a slump around the 3rd game and post Origin too and this is one of the reasons.

Yes, at the same time, it is extremely risky because fatigued players will play fatigued, the team can lose, and players can pick up injuries as some Souths players have been in the last few weeks. But teams with such a buffer as Souths had can pick up a loss here or there for now.

Your claims that they're gone is a bit premature buddy. You're making out that this season is a one-off when they already have the form last season of making the final 4. Sounds a bit like the flogs saying Melbourne were gone a couple of weeks ago.

Souths had the buffer to approach the rest of this post-season a bit different to last year. As the season developed and they got the wins and they looked ahead to the matches they had, an amateur trainer could pick out that the 3 to 4 week period where their schedule was mostly against teams outside the 8, and also, 2 months out of the finals was a great time for high training loads before reducing volume for this next tough month and then tapering for finals. It was actually a great schedule for them from a training point of view.

Now it's deload and practically a 6-8 week finals series based on the draw for them to close out.

It's science, brah.

There's no doubt that a loss here and there in this next tough month will have the same flogs who were writing off Melbourne also writing off Souths. Go ahead. It will ultimately suit the team if everyone including their opposition underestimates them. If Easts want to be running down hill in early August, then good on them. For Souths this season, the goal is to be on the game in 'September'.

Last edited:

GONZO72

Juniors
Ok fine, I'll put answer to those questions from my point of view:
Souths:
-- Perhaps, however they would have made last years grand final if their main playmaker, Adam Reynolds, did not get injured in the preliminary final. They were all over the Bulldogs in that game, and that was the turning point.
My above answer is also relevant to this
Some might disagree as Nathan Merritt can find the tryline. Regardless, you don't need big name players to win.
It seems to have done the job for them so far - they have won the same amount of games as Roosters

Yes, but Inglis and John Sutton should be back for the finals.

Your 5 about the bulldogs

If you're talking about the Barba thing, I don't know what more needs to be said. The club has pretty much conceded that he's going to Brisbane, and now that he's gone (and they all know it), they can focus on their footy
2-Barba injured

True, but we aren't a 1-man team. Look at our forwards, one of the big forward packs in the game - Kasiano, Pritchard, Tolman, Graham, and the younger guns coming through. 3-slow backline, won't hurt you
Josh Morris isn't slow, and the Inu/Perrett combo has worked wonders since both players signed with the club
Yet they still seem to work
We have beaten Manly this year. The roosters are better yes I'll admit that.

Bulldog force, Souths were lapped last year in the prelim final 32-8. They were never going to beat the bulldogs. Souths backline holds no fear for the big guns. Inglis is world class, but he's injured. The rest are ordinary. Goodwin, Farrell, everingham , king.....mercy .

The bulldogs sweeping movement is not as effective this year, not even close. For mine, they were a 8 point better side last year.

GONZO72

Juniors
Yep, cos it was the first time in world sport that a poorly performing team comes out the same week their coach gets the arse and puts in a blinder. Let's not forget the added emotion for Muz.

Souths aren't firing at the mo. No dispute there. Last week was a major break in routine with a week-long camp in NQ in the lead-up to the weekend game. It was a great opportunity for the S&C staff to put in one final week of high volume training and in conditions which will be more suited to September football. Such a slump in form over the last month is normally attributable to the increased training volume cycle some finals bound teams utilise before de-loading and tapering. Melbourne normally always (and have this season as well) have a slump around the 3rd game and post Origin too and this is one of the reasons.

Yes, at the same time, it is extremely risky because fatigued players will play fatigued, the team can lose, and players can pick up injuries as some Souths players have been in the last few weeks. But teams with such a buffer as Souths had can pick up a loss here or there for now.

Your claims that they're gone is a bit premature buddy. You're making out that this season is a one-off when they already have the form last season of making the final 4. Sounds a bit like the flogs saying Melbourne were gone a couple of weeks ago.

Souths had the buffer to approach the rest of this post-season a bit different to last year. As the season developed and they got the wins and they looked ahead to the matches they had, an amateur trainer could pick out that the 3 to 4 week period where their schedule was mostly against teams outside the 8, and also, 2 months out of the finals was a great time for high training loads before reducing volume for this next tough month and then tapering for finals. It was actually a great schedule for them from a training point of view.

Now it's deload and practically a 6-8 week finals series based on the draw for them to close out.

It's science, brah.

There's no doubt that a loss here and there in this next tough month will have the same flogs who were writing off Melbourne also writing off Souths. Go ahead. It will ultimately suit the team if everyone including their opposition underestimates them. If Easts want to be running down hill in early August, then good on them. For Souths this season, the goal is to be on the game in 'September'.

A backline that contains Goodwin, Farrell Merritt, washed up King,Everingham , is not going to win a premiership. Arguably, they have a top 3 forward pack, but that won't be enough come finals time

big hit!

Bench
A backline that contains Goodwin, Farrell Merritt, washed up King,Everingham , is not going to win a premiership. Arguably, they have a top 3 forward pack, but that won't be enough come finals time

You said they were choking. The word is so misused in sports this day and is up there with 'karma' in everyday life as a use if it suits term.

There seems to be an expectation that the premier must be dominant and win every game. That's never going to be the case in a physical league such as the NRL with 24 physical games over 6 months and then finals.

There's more that goes on within a footy team than just what you see on the field on the weekend. The season is long and training volumes are manipulated over the course of it in order to get the required wins to make it to the post-season, as well as ensuring that the team is in the best possible shape it can be come that time. Manly and Melbourne over the last 6 or so years are classic examples. They have always lost multiple games along the way, even as they get close to finals. It's easier for teams that are ahead like Souths are this season to plan for the bigger games unlike those fighting just to make the 8 at this time of year who are already at maintenance volumes to be fresh for each game.

Sometimes I reckon most folks think teams walk out onto the training paddock and just play a game of touch footy in the lead-up to every game. Training is a science now and it can be planned and manipulated based on what needs to be achieved.

And re your actual comment above, A club side doesn't need a backline of out and out stars to win the premiership. They have one in Inglis. And Merritt is more than capable of finding the line too. Souths have got a forward pack that can roll through the middle and lay the platform as good as any other. If the men in the middle, as well as the edge forwards in Teo and McQueen can make the space, then a capable back in the NRL will have the time to be threatening. Souths have a very structured game so perhaps there isnt that flair there, but it will be up to other teams to break it down to beat them.

BranVan3000

Coach
Asotasi DUD (being shipped off to England)
Lima DUD (came back from England)
Miscellaneous back rower
Keary USELESS off the bench
Full strength we are

Tom Burgess, George Burgess two of the best impact forwards in the world. Lima, Premiership winning prop and Keary the most talented half/five eight coming through the ranks :cool: SHITS all over Roosters' bench

firechild

First Grade
And Merritt is more than capable of finding the line too.

Merritt is a flat track bully. He runs riot against poor sides and goes missing against quality sides. He scored a hat-trick against the Roosters in rd 1 when most people agree they were nowhere near the side they have become over the season. You could have been forgiven for thinking Merritt wasn't even playing against Manly or Melbourne, he barely touched the ball. I wouldn't have high hopes of him lifting come finals time.

Danish

Referee
I wouldn't swap anyone from the Roosters bench for anyone on the Souths bench.... but then again I'm sure souths would say the same thing about ours.

Souths biggest problem is their backline. Specifically their wingers complete inability to make any hard yards coming out of their end to start their sets off on the right foot. To put it into numbers, below are the average run metres for each winger for the Rabbits compared to Inglis:

Inglis - 165
Walker - 91
Merritt - 80
Farrell - 76
Everingham - 68

As you can see, a SEVERE drop off in work rate besides Inglis. King is the exception, with some good metres in his 2 games so far, but the rest are just woeful.

This is whats killing them with no Inglis. They are now starting most of their sets 20-30m closer to their own tryline when the forwards start getting involved on tackle 2 or 3. It has a two-fold effect as not only are they having to fight for tougher yards with the ball, they are also having to retreat further back into their own end when getting back onside and tiring themselves out even more.

If you look at the few games they lost this year with Inglis in the side, you'll notice that in all of them Inglis's metres gained is limited massively. Shut him down at the back and you go a long way to shutting them down altogether. Wouldn't be surprised if the smart teams start just kicking the ball dead like what was happening against Parramatta in 2010 to nullify Hayne.

I reckon King will be in the squad permanently from here on in with Merritt or Walker given the flick when GI returns... will be interesting to see who Madge decides to give the boot to

GONZO72

Juniors
Full strength we are

Tom Burgess, George Burgess two of the best impact forwards in the world. Lima, Premiership winning prop and Keary the most talented half/five eight coming through the ranks :cool: SHITS all over Roosters' bench

Branvan, are you a comedian, or just have zero idea of rugby league?

To compare Souths bench to the roosters is fraught with danger. Souths bench comprises...2 washed up front rowers , way past their used by date. An untried 5ft 7in rookie, and Tom burgess, who is not in the same league as Sam and George .

You're backline is very ordinary. For the last time....Inglis = world class, the rest 1-5 is garbage. Merritt cost the blues 18 pts in game 2. He is only an average first grader. Goodwin is a reject, king is old. Walker is a nobody.
Souths are an honest team, but honesty doesn't win a comp, class does, Souths have zeo.

Sorry

GONZO72

Juniors
I wouldn't swap anyone from the Roosters bench for anyone on the Souths bench.... but then again I'm sure souths would say the same thing about ours.

Souths biggest problem is their backline. Specifically their wingers complete inability to make any hard yards coming out of their end to start their sets off on the right foot. To put it into numbers, below are the average run metres for each winger for the Rabbits compared to Inglis:

Inglis - 165
Walker - 91
Merritt - 80
Farrell - 76
Everingham - 68

As you can see, a SEVERE drop off in work rate besides Inglis. King is the exception, with some good metres in his 2 games so far, but the rest are just woeful.

This is whats killing them with no Inglis. They are now starting most of their sets 20-30m closer to their own tryline when the forwards start getting involved on tackle 2 or 3. It has a two-fold effect as not only are they having to fight for tougher yards with the ball, they are also having to retreat further back into their own end when getting back onside and tiring themselves out even more.

If you look at the few games they lost this year with Inglis in the side, you'll notice that in all of them Inglis's metres gained is limited massively. Shut him down at the back and you go a long way to shutting them down altogether. Wouldn't be surprised if the smart teams start just kicking the ball dead like what was happening against Parramatta in 2010 to nullify Hayne.

I reckon King will be in the squad permanently from here on in with Merritt or Walker given the flick when GI returns... will be interesting to see who Madge decides to give the boot to
Danish, if Souths supporters wouldn't swap their bench with the roosters bench, well then they are happy with mediocrity. Come to think of it, it shouldn't be hard for them, they've had to deal with it for 42 long and painful years.

bottle

Coach
It really is irrelevant if the fans of other teams buy into the Rorters chances.
Buying in is never something they've had a problem with.

BranVan3000

Coach
Branvan, are you a comedian, or just have zero idea of rugby league?

To compare Souths bench to the roosters is fraught with danger. Souths bench comprises...2 washed up front rowers , way past their used by date. An untried 5ft 7in rookie, and Tom burgess, who is not in the same league as Sam and George .

You're backline is very ordinary. For the last time....Inglis = world class, the rest 1-5 is garbage. Merritt cost the blues 18 pts in game 2. He is only an average first grader. Goodwin is a reject, king is old. Walker is a nobody.
Souths are an honest team, but honesty doesn't win a comp, class does, Souths have zeo.

Sorry

Roosters bench v Rabbitohs bench

Mortimer - 19 games only two tries and 2 line breaks
Keary - 5 game, two tries and two line breaks

So Keary has already achieved what Mortimer has in a quarter of the time :lol:

Moa - averaging 99.8 m per game, 22 tackles per game and 11 missed all season
Lima - averaging 104.2 m per game, 21 tackles per game and 10 missed all season

Close but Lima wins

Aubusson - 5 tries, averaging 53m per game (lol), 25 tackles per game and 13 missed all season
George Burgess - 7 tries, averaging 137 m per game, 23 tackles per game and 14 missed all season

G Burgess shuts all over everyone on Roosters bench

Issac Liu - averaging 70 m per game, and 16 tackles per game 5 missed (only 9 games played)
Tom Burgess - averaging 108 m per game, 16 tackles per game, 3 missed (only 4 games played)

Tom shits all over Liu

Other backups:
Asotasi - averaging 71 m per game, 21 tackles per game and 11 missed all season
Aiden Guerra - averaging 64 m per game, 21 tackles per game and 21 missed for season

As you can see, our entire bench shits all over yours. In fact it's not even close.;-)

GONZO72

Juniors
Roosters bench v Rabbitohs bench

Mortimer - 19 games only two tries and 2 line breaks
Keary - 5 game, two tries and two line breaks

So Keary has already achieved what Mortimer has in a quarter of the time :lol:

Moa - averaging 99.8 m per game, 22 tackles per game and 11 missed all season
Lima - averaging 104.2 m per game, 21 tackles per game and 10 missed all season

Close but Lima wins

Aubusson - 5 tries, averaging 53m per game (lol), 25 tackles per game and 13 missed all season
George Burgess - 7 tries, averaging 137 m per game, 23 tackles per game and 14 missed all season

G Burgess shuts all over everyone on Roosters bench

Issac Liu - averaging 70 m per game, and 16 tackles per game 5 missed (only 9 games played)
Tom Burgess - averaging 108 m per game, 16 tackles per game, 3 missed (only 4 games played)

Tom shits all over Liu

Other backups:
Asotasi - averaging 71 m per game, 21 tackles per game and 11 missed all season
Aiden Guerra - averaging 64 m per game, 21 tackles per game and 21 missed for season

As you can see, our entire bench shits all over yours. In fact it's not even close.;-)
Yep, I was right....u are a comedian.
Ask every fan, who they would rather have....Moa or Lima, and 99.5% would say Moa.
George burgess starts now, mr research .
Asotasi is washed up. Couldn't you find tries or line breaks ?
And keary had one standout game all year against the titans ...wow

Branvann, u have no idea