What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

dgsfan

Juniors
Was listening to C91.3 (Campbelltown) today and he sports report went something like this:

"You know the new planned Western Sydney AFL team? Well it's looking like it's going to be a success. Last night the Swans played in front of a full hous blah blah blah".

I don't know if it was "full" bt it's not good to hear in a Rugby League heartland.

ibeme

First Grade
Was listening to C91.3 (Campbelltown) today and he sports report went something like this:

"You know the new planned Western Sydney AFL team? Well it's looking like it's going to be a success. Last night the Swans played in front of a full hous blah blah blah".

I don't know if it was "full" bt it's not good to hear in a Rugby League heartland.

I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of them required the use of a Sat Nav to find the western suburbs.

Swans supporters were always going to turn up to a Swans game

Goddo

Bench
Could be right Jankuloski. I reckon we could go an Origin there and aim for a 40k crowd.

I agree and have advocated this on other threads. I think there will be a very good oportunity from 2018 onwards to take origin to Perth if we win the World Cup bid...

If stadium WA gets up (and it sounds like thats what the federal gov wants the WA gov to build), it will be a 70k stadium with a fully retractable lower tier.

That sounds like the perfect venue for origin, much better than Etihad.

smithie

Juniors
I went to the nametheteam.com.au website to see the GWS name options. I chose the "Other" option and named them what they actually are.

GWS Victorians

So you can vote Other. Then I propose we all go there, vote other and nominate "Victorians". Would be funny if they get hundreds of votes for that.

Loudstrat

Coach
I don't think Origin is the best way to do it, as that is ususally very attented game. The All Stars match was played in front of 27k, and that can easilly be matched in Perth. It could be a part of a wider expansion strategy, but there is no such thing at the moment within the NRL.
The GWS is a micky mouse fun game to focus on the start of the season. Means heaps to the Indiginous League fans - who are in NSW and QLD. But the rules are not normal RL rules, and we need to promote RL. No point in confusing them.

We hit Melbourne with premiership games, tests and eventually Origins. We kept the sevens and pre season games in heartland. If you want Perthites to get into the game, you have to show it at it's best and most passionate. Besides, Origin is as relevent to Sandgropers as it is to Victorians, who love the concept.

I have no problem playing Origin in Perth, because you would maximise TV ratings in every village from Bega to Cooktown, plus Melbourne.

If you are serious about promoting the game, you show them the decent stuff.

If only 10k turned up to a Dragons v Eels Telstra Cup match, I'd call that a disaster - aka the Sharks in Adelaide last year. 10k for a trial? That's fair.

a couple more NRL games a year would do me!

Fair call. More sense than the funny carnival stuff.

Surandy

Bench
Don't go to the site!

The AFL will use the website visitor numbers to falsely claim that this shows how much interest there is in the new team!

I think they've shown they'll do that anyway, even if they have to make up the figures. Even if only 100 people logged on they'd claim there was 1,000,000. At least this way we'll let them know what we think.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
The Penrith vs Parramatta 'Battle Of The West' trial game last year only got 5,000-odd. So getting 11,000-odd this year is a good increase. Let's aim for 15,000 next year.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I actually think the near-10,000 crowd for the game in Perth last week was fugging excellent, considering:

a) all 3 WA sporting teams (Force, A-League, AFL) all played at home that weekend

b) NRL have made no plans or announcements in again having an NRL side (unlike the AFL in Western Sydney)

c) It wasn't the first match played at the new venue (unlike the AFL in Western Sydney)

d) It was $30 a ticket

e) It was a trial

f) It was Valentine's Day

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was also 37 degrees and after the poor response from the Roosters last year would have put some off another trial game I reckon.

I am hoping for 16-18,000 for the real deal in June, weather gods permitting.

Get NRL back on WA TV and in the papers, get Gallop talking up prospects of an NRL return for the Reds and give the WARL some $'s to promote it and we will get 20k no problem.

Fingers crossed for a redeveloped MES and a big money backer coming along and the pieces are nicely in place for our return.

It will cost the NRL a hell of a lot less than it will cost the AFL for the GWS team that's for sure!

adamkungl

Immortal
It was also 37 degrees and after the poor response from the Roosters last year would have put some off another trial game I reckon.

I am hoping for 16-18,000 for the real deal in June, weather gods permitting.

Get NRL back on WA TV and in the papers, get Gallop talking up prospects of an NRL return for the Reds and give the WARL some $'s to promote it and we will get 20k no problem.

Fingers crossed for a redeveloped MES and a big money backer coming along and the pieces are nicely in place for our return.

It will cost the NRL a hell of a lot less than it will cost the AFL for the GWS team that's for sure!

and herein lies the problem...

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
I actually think the near-10,000 crowd for the game in Perth last week was fugging excellent, considering:

a) all 3 WA sporting teams (Force, A-League, AFL) all played at home that weekend

b) NRL have made no plans or announcements in again having an NRL side (unlike the AFL in Western Sydney)

c) It wasn't the first match played at the new venue (unlike the AFL in Western Sydney)

d) It was $30 a ticket

e) It was a trial

f) It was Valentine's Day

g) There was some event on at Claremont that had thousands, we went past on the way home.

d) is the main sticking point I think, I went with missus and 2 kids. That's $35 x 2 and $27 x 2, disgraceful price for a trial game. I'm a Parra fan and didn't get to see most of the 1st grade team, yeah I knew it wouldn't full strength but expected more than what we got. In the lead up I got excited because at least Fui and Poore had been named, then they missed the game. $124 not including over priced food and drinks to watch what was effectively a Wentworthville/Parra u20s combo team, with a few 1st graders thrown in. The NRL need to step in make sure teams coming over here send stronger lineups. If the prices and teams are like that again then next year it's 7000, then 5000 the year after etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
shows how starved we are for NRL action when 10,000 are prepared to pay those prices to see two 1/2 strength teams!

at least the game was more competitive than last years.

St.John

Juniors
Carston Shoddy knows the score.

screencaptured.png

Latest posts