What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL marketing rejects Simply the Best campaign and music altogether

Canard

Immortal
I think some of the appeal of "Simply the Best" is nostalgia, for a time when a lot of us on here were growing up and really started following the game seriously.

Im not saying its wasnt a good theme, but I think something original is the way to go.

To be fair, I love those generic ads that show lots of footage of hits, tries, fans excitement etc. with a decent song played over the top of it.

Big-Hitter

Juniors
Calixte said:
Maybe have the historical footage overlaid, for part of the time, with "Simply the Best" - perhaps even for the relevant period of footage (late 80s - early 90s)?

Maybe a different version of the same song - acoustic? violins without vocals? Who knows? (It is a distinctive tune and, importantly, associated with the game.)

Love this idea. I can already hear the strings. Awesome.

nqboy

First Grade
westie said:
I've received responses for far more trivial inquiries.
Do tell, though I suspect the queries you raised were inconsequential in the bigger picture.

Moffo

Referee
how about the song they play at the start of a view from the hill

"and you were there"
dah dah dah dah

i get chills everytime i hear that song

TITAN1

Juniors
Maybe an ad with ALL the big hits,going back to the brutal old Grand finals,with "f**king Hostile" as the soundtrack...

KFC

Juniors
You can bag Paul Kind all you like but the NRL have bugger all money to spend making TV commercials let alone run them.

In the glory days of Simply The Best Rothmans were throwing tens of millions of dollars at the NSWRL/ARL.

Another point for you haters is that the same agency that produced the legendary Tina Turner campaign still works on the marketing today.

As for Blind Freddie how about a positive contribution.

What would you do?

bobmar28

Bench
Blind Freddy said:
Something which shows that our sport is for everybody and that appeals to and targets every demographic. Something that shows everything that is bloody awesome about the sport basically and stirs up pride for the sport and makes a causal follower turn into a proper one. Something epic!

Blow that whistle was crap!

No more Barnsey, no more Hoodoo Gurus, no more Chumbawumba, no more washed up "artists", no more crap!
No more Hoodoo gurus? 'That's my team' would be perfect for celebrating 100 yrs of league.

Glenn

First Grade
Nuke said:
I would go so far as to say the 'Simply The Best' campaign is the best in any sport in Australia. Apart from anything else, it was promoting the game at a time when League was at it's most expansive. The game was the most exciting I can remember at that time (granted, I was 14 in 1995 when it ended and lots of things excited me then).

The phrase 'simply the best' sums up our game perfectly.

Hmmm would rate the "Come on Aussie" campaign for the Cricket above Simply the Best, back on topic there was a video that came out a few years back for Centennary of Rugby League (not just league in Australia), called "That's rugby league" which had a classical music intro, prehaps they will go down that route? :?

Blind Freddy

Juniors
KFC said:
You can bag Paul Kind all you like but the NRL have bugger all money to spend making TV commercials let alone run them.

In the glory days of Simply The Best Rothmans were throwing tens of millions of dollars at the NSWRL/ARL.

Another point for you haters is that the same agency that produced the legendary Tina Turner campaign still works on the marketing today.

What would you do?

And who's accountable and responsible for the NRL generating money??? Nobody else but the NRL ..... so the cycle continues.

I've already put my $0.02 in this thread about which direction it should head to.

Usually i am very postive about the game, but when it come to marketing i'm sorry but there is nothing positive to say about it, only that the best ad for the sport is during the season with the matches on the field...the last decent campaign blitz was 15 odd years ago, coincidently when league went gangbusters before the SL war.

What does the NRL do to bring in followers from "non heartland" states?? is this comparable to what the AFL does for example???

Why are our campaign ads constantly targeting the same demographic?? the ones that are already entrenched into the game? Why doesn't the league spread its wings and go for a wider variety of audience and stop pigeon holing itself to the 'working class" stereotype?

Is there enough ads for all games on FTA TV during the week??

Paul kind and his gang need to go loud and unavoidably stick Rugby league in everybody's face. Like we have copped with AFL for far too long and like what we are currently copping off the political parties for the upcoming election.....

nqboy

First Grade
KFC said:

What would you do?
First, I'd require Nein to pay market rates for FTA coverage. Then, I'd use some of the extra money to promote the game.

nqboy said:
First, I'd require Nein to pay market rates for FTA coverage. Then, I'd use some of the extra money to promote the game.

agreed.

Just for my opinion I was split about what to do re: Simply the Best. It is without doubt my fav rugby league song, but maybe it is time to move forward. I'm not sure.

I think the centenary is our opportunity to really cast off the negativity that seems to be around the game since the SL war. Maybe the simply the best theme would be a way to get that warm and fuzzy feeling back amoungst the true believers.

Either way surely they can't possibly stuff something as easy as this. The game has so much history, tradition and passion. You just need to pick the right music theme. Hopefully some marketing whiz is on the money with it.

griff

Bench
KFC said:

They only went back to them for 2008 didn't they?

"That's my team" was all done by the geniuses in-house.

KFC

Juniors
nqboy said:

Very good point.

Then perhaps they'd have the 15 to 20 million dollars needed to run advetising on TV every week of the season.

KFC

Juniors
griff said:
They only went back to them for 2008 didn't they?

"That's my team" was all done by the geniuses in-house.

No Graff the agency has been working with them for the last 5 years.

However "That's My Team" was Alan Wilson's idea.

Monk

Referee
why not just have commentary in the background...
im sure everyone wouldnt mind hearing frank hyde at his awesome best along with ray warren etc

Is anyone at all familiar with the '3 Lions'/'Football's coming home' song that was written and sung during the 1996 European Soccer Championship held in England.

It was written based on the slogan 'Football comes home'.

To me it is an excellent example of sports marketing. It combines old footage, memories etc with a catchy anthem. It was so popular it went to number 1 on the charts in the UK and was popular in the rest of Europe. Such was its popularity that it was rewritten for the 1998 world cup and pops up at every big tournament.

It is exactly what a sports anthem should be, memorable, catchy and easy to sing along to whilst all the while pumping people up for the game.

I would love us to come up with something along these lines for next year. I really think it is a mistake to go without a song for the ads in 2008. Music is very emotive and an easy way to get people engaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96-zW2c8H2o&feature=related

take a look

Nuke

Staff member
It initially reminds me of 'Come On Aussie Come On'.

I don't know if that kind of pop music (the one in your clip) is the way to go, but yeah I like the idea of a catchy sing-along kinda song about the sport. Something to engage the die-hard fans and the average nuffy too.

Nuke said:
It initially reminds me of 'Come On Aussie Come On'.

I don't know if that kind of pop music (the one in your clip) is the way to go, but yeah I like the idea of a catchy sing-along kinda song about the sport. Something to engage the die-hard fans and the average nuffy too.

Yeah not suggesting it has to be identical to that...just saying the most successful campaigns in history , such as Come on Aussie, are the kind that you refer to...catchy and sing-a-long.

Not bullsh*t poems, that sound good on a power point slide in an advertising agency.

Don't ask me why, but I just smell a 'blow that whistle ref' campaign coming...