What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 11 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
It was a great weekend of sport, indeed. Even though I was flat over the Phoenix (a missed penalty too) I was over the moon that the sell-out crowd got to see a home goal. In soccer, you need to see that stadium erupt when it happens. It's something else.

Re the boxing. Who was the last undisputed hw champion? Holyfield, when he beat Douglas in October 1990? Or Bowe when he beat Holyfield in 'Nov '92 (he then ditched a belt to avoid a mandatory match with Lewis)?

JJ

Immortal
It was a great weekend of sport, indeed. Even though I was flat over the Phoenix (a missed penalty too) I was over the moon that the sell-out crowd got to see a home goal. In soccer, you need to see that stadium erupt when it happens. It's something else.

Re the boxing. Who was the last undisputed hw champion? Holyfield, when he beat Douglas in October 1990? Or Bowe when he beat Holyfield in 'Nov '92 (he then ditched a belt to avoid a mandatory match with Lewis)?
Wasn't it Fury, when he beat Klitschko? So hard to tell, and stupidly clearly Usyk is now, yet one of the clown shows will strip a title because he will fight Fury again - who clearly is the #2 given that result - from what I've read and seen, it was great and close (although in the context of all the concussion stuff, you have to wonder...)

Big Marn

Bench
Wasn't it Fury, when he beat Klitschko? So hard to tell, and stupidly clearly Usyk is now, yet one of the clown shows will strip a title because he will fight Fury again - who clearly is the #2 given that result - from what I've read and seen, it was great and close (although in the context of all the concussion stuff, you have to wonder...)
There hadn't been an undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis defeated Evander Holyfield in a rematch of all-time greats in November 1999 in Las Vegas.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
There hadn't been an undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis defeated Evander Holyfield in a rematch of all-time greats in November 1999 in Las Vegas.
Guess I’m thinking of the lineal thing…

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

It was Lewis, maybe when he beat Holyfield? Not quite sure. Appropriate as Lewis was the best HW of the last 30 years imo

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Brad Arthur sacked

Trent Barrett in as caretaker -L O L

Apparently they decided 3 weeks ago and have been talking to old man Bennett

Blair

Coach
Magic round was pretty magical, with close games aplenty.

Rd 11 Ladder:

rd11.jpg

We won and move up an inch! The Rabbitohs look gone. Up top, I think the top-three is set for the season but I don't believe the Dolphins will make the top-four their own, you'd expect the Roosters and Broncos to have a serious say about that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Magic round was pretty magical, with close games aplenty.

Rd 11 Ladder:

rd11.jpg

We won and move up an inch! The Rabbitohs look gone. Up top, I think the top-three is set for the season but I don't believe the Dolphins will make the top-four their own, you'd expect the Roosters and Broncos to have a serious say about that.
I realistically see three teams we can supplant in that 8. The Phins, Knights and Raiders. Its telling that our +/- is actually better than the latter two teams which shows how much their table position is flattering them. Ditto for the Dragons, their miserable -56 says they should probably be lower than 9th.

Blair

Coach
It was Lewis, maybe when he beat Holyfield? Not quite sure. Appropriate as Lewis was the best HW of the last 30 years imo
There's so many 'what ifs?' with the heavyweight division in the 1990s. It could've/should've been a golden era but we got a schamozzle instead. My brother and I talk endlessly about possible match-ups.

Bowe should've fought Lewis, circa '92/93. Bloody managers and money, eh? What's the point in getting rich if you leave no legacy?

The cancelled Tyson v Holyfield fight scheduled for November '91 was a disaster for boxing. Tyson wasn't the same fighter in '96/97 and Holyfield was a lot BIGGER!

Tyson shouldn't have ever attended that Ms Black America Beauty Pageant in Indianapolis is July '91. What was Don King thinking sending him there? He went down for rape, it effectively ended his career at aged 25.

Tyson should've fought Lewis, Bowe and Moorer in his prime, circa '92-95 (without going to jail). These were super fights.

Foreman was in the mix, but he never touched Lewis, let alone Tyson or Bowe, who would've hammered him, I reckon.

Lewis should've fought Moorer, and Holyfield, when Holyfield was younger and primed, circa early-mid-90s. Why wait till 1999?

Don't get me started.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Wayne officially announced at Souths now

parra going well, missed their man and have a bloke with the worst win percentage in NRL era taking the reins

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's so many 'what ifs?' with the heavyweight division in the 1990s. It could've/should've been a golden era but we got a schamozzle instead. My brother and I talk endlessly about possible match-ups.

Yeah 100%, great era but a lot of match ups didnt happen that could have

Bowe should've fought Lewis, circa '92/93. Bloody managers and money, eh? What's the point in getting rich if you leave no legacy?

100% blame that one on Bowe's camp. Lewis repeatedly called him out and Bowe went as far as dumping a belt in a trash can on camera rather than defend it against Lewis

The cancelled Tyson v Holyfield fight scheduled for November '91 was a disaster for boxing. Tyson wasn't the same fighter in '96/97 and Holyfield was a lot BIGGER!

For sure. Probably worked out better for Evander

Tyson shouldn't have ever attended that Ms Black America Beauty Pageant in Indianapolis is July '91. What was Don King thinking sending him there? He went down for rape, it effectively ended his career at aged 25.

Man, while Tyson 100% deserved to go to jail for that there were SO many enablers in his camp giving him terrible advise and not holding him to account at the time, King chief among them. I saw a doco on it years back, it was horrifying. Tyson was doomed the moment Cus D'Amato died and he lost the one person in the world who really had his best interests at heart.

Tyson should've fought Lewis, Bowe and Moorer in his prime, circa '92-95 (without going to jail). These were super fights.

Foreman was in the mix, but he never touched Lewis, let alone Tyson or Bowe, who would've hammered him, I reckon.

Lewis should've fought Moorer, and Holyfield, when Holyfield was younger and primed, circa early-mid-90s. Why wait till 1999?

Don't get me started.
Moorer was a spud, remember when David Tua dismantled him? Speaking of another guy who never got the shots he deserved- None of the big names were in a hurry to give Tua a shot either, he was already past his peak by the time he fought Lewis. Still arguably the best heavyweight not to hold a major belt.

Wayne officially announced at Souths now

parra going well, missed their man and have a bloke with the worst win percentage in NRL era taking the reins
Yea its a weird one... I cant figure out why Parra sacked Arthur mid-season if they'd already resigned themselves to missing out on Bennett.

What can Barrett do over the rest of the season that BA couldn't have done himself anyway?

Blair

Coach
Yeah 100%, great era but a lot of match ups didnt happen that could have

100% blame that one on Bowe's camp. Lewis repeatedly called him out and Bowe went as far as dumping a belt in a trash can on camera rather than defend it against Lewis

For sure. Probably worked out better for Evander

Man, while Tyson 100% deserved to go to jail for that there were SO many enablers in his camp giving him terrible advise and not holding him to account at the time, King chief among them. I saw a doco on it years back, it was horrifying. Tyson was doomed the moment Cus D'Amato died and he lost the one person in the world who really had his best interests at heart.

Moorer was a spud, remember when David Tua dismantled him? Speaking of another guy who never got the shots he deserved- None of the big names were in a hurry to give Tua a shot either, he was already past his peak by the time he fought Lewis. Still arguably the best heavyweight not to hold a major belt.
Yeah, I vividly remember the circus act when Bowe dumped the WBC Belt into the trash, at the behest of his charlatan manager, Rock Newman. What a waste of talent. There's another superb fighter that went downhill fast.

Bowe v Galaki (that's Golota, but I always use that spelling because that's what my mother wrote on the VHS tape when she recorded their second fight for me) was a tragi-comedy. You can watch them in fits of laughter, or tears, depending on what mood you're in. The big Pole had both fights in the bag too, before those ridiculous, but deserved, disqualifications.

Moorer the spud? I get it, he was flawed. Good fighters sorted him out. But for a couple of years there, in the early/mid-90s, he had a bit of the x-factor, what with being a hard-punching southpaw, who got some decent hype, and he defeated Holyfield (who was sick, as we later found out) for the title.

On balance, I agree that Lewis proved to be the best fighter of the lot. It was his decade, as he ultimately defeated Holyfield at the end of it, which was nicely symbolic. Tremendous size and skills, but Bowe had that too, circa '92/93, and the man that started the decade as the ultimate champion, Tyson, blew it too. I went cold on him post-prison. We'll never know how good he really was, as he missed those crucial bouts, aforementioned in the prior post.

I personally think Tyson would've beaten Holyfield, Bowe, and Lewis, if he'd faced them in the early-90s, or even the mid-90s (without prison), whilst keeping his trainer, Kevin Rooney, and his manager, Bill Cayton, to cap off a remarkable career.

He was my favourite.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Wait.... Not Frank Bruno?
Oh, definitely. I had a soft-spot for the big Brit and was on my feet when he - the first fighter to do it - really rattled Tyson in '89.

He was eventually outclassed by Lewis in '93 but gave it one hell of a shake there at Cardiff Arms Park.

It was great that he became a World Champion, albeit briefly, before his nemesis Tyson returned to the ring to reclaim it in '96.

Let's not forget Oliver McCall either! Knocking out Lewis was a sensation.

Big Marn

Bench
Eels were going ok until Barrett showed up.

if you scroll down 2/3s of the way, you will see some startling information about the Eels.

if you scroll down 2/3s of the way, you will see some startling information about the Eels.
Wow thats fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing.

On the Eels, it'd be real interesting to overlay that 48-68 minute period with other data that shows who's on the pitch and what they're doing to see if any patterns emerge. GPS data probably isn't publicly available, but interchange details, minutes played, tackles made etc should all be out there. The analysis shows what is happening in brilliant detail, but doesn't attempt to explain why, which would be really cool.

Any idea where he sources his data from? Must be an enormous dataset. Would love to play around with it.