What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

Chimp

Bench
The good thing about the NRL is that they have V'Landys in their corner. Previous administrations may have caved in....V'Landys won't.
I really hope so. I’d also like to see Fox and Channel 9 come out and stick the boot in to the players - the players really are biting the hand that feeds them with media bans.
I know in reality it could never happen, but I’d love the broadcasters to come out and say ‘if you refuse to do media, or strike, we’ll will knock 25% of the value of the next TV deal’ and PVL should then respond to that with ‘and as a result the salary cap would have to be reduced by 30%’.
One other thing I’ll throw in, I notice the players have taken the easy option where there is no personal impact on them - ‘a media ban’, but they’re still doing their ‘paid media’ - so appearing on radio/tv shows and podcasts where they get paid. And they’ve not taken strike action on training or match days where they’d lose a days wages. Greedy hypocrites!

taste2taste

Juniors
What's ch 9 Sunday Footy going to do ? 90% of thier pre game show is player interviewes.

Seriously though, 9 is with in thier rights to ask for a reduction in thier contract if the NRL aren't providing the content agreed to.

It would be oh so sweet if 9 reduced thier payments which had a knock on effect of players payments going down.

Diesel

Referee
But where it gets interesting is are they now in breach of media requirements from the broadcasters?
Do you mean similar to what happened in 2020 when the competition was suspended and the contract was breached? Because back then, there was a real chance we could lose teams.

siv

First Grade
Trade windows don't work. Deals will be done months before and people will know about it we've seen it before
Maybe

But they focus the announcements as the NRL will only register contracts in the trade window

It also allows the current club to make a counter offer up until the trade window date

siv

First Grade
Not saying they’re right, just that the Wb slant on it is wrong. It’s not Australian players refusing to share rep payments with other nations nrl players which is what Wb and his media source claimed. The players want to see rep payments sit additional to the current proposed player payment pool.
Then they need to remove rep football from the total revenue amount

And recalculate the % allocation amount

Munky

Coach
Without seeing full segmented financial information I'm unwilling to take a side here.

My last employer gave me a 2% pay rise, a month later they told us to raise all fees by 6%. If the client asked why we were told to say labour cost increases.

Luckily for my firm I helped them out with their labour costs by reducing mine by 100%.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Of course money is one of the issues, not the biggie, it’s clear control over the player funds is the really big sticking point. I can only guess the issue re rep payment is that it could be very variable, especially if nrl ramps up number of international games and the players feel that with no limit’s on that the overall funding pool could be impacted significantly. Can’t really think of any other reason. But like I said that’s a minor issue I reckon, who controls the players pot is the big one,
Agreed. Do you think the NRL should have some say over how it is spent? I tend to think that's reasonable if you are putting in a heap of $$$

Reactions: siv

Diesel

Referee
I dont feel like the tv viewer is losing too much by not hearing from the players coming off the field at HT/FT. They’re usually too buggered, disappointed to talk or would rather celebrate with their club mates than have a spongy stick shoved in their face and asked the same type of questions each week

catgrub

Juniors
Minimum NRL fortnightly payment $5769.23
Maximum Centrelink Newstart payment per fortnight $745.20 plus the pleasure of attending job centres.

I reckon the players will be fine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not patronising at all Ricky lol
The RLPA are the players.

“I feel sorry for the players because I believe that if you spoke to 95% of the players they wouldn’t even know why they aren’t allowed to talk to the media.
“I think they are being used and it’s wrong because there are young boys who have no idea why it’s there and I think they are being used in this regard.

Wb1234

Referee

Clarkent

Juniors
I love how the Gordie is calling the players selfish for boycotting but he was part of it too in the past. Big difference now is the the power of the social media. The RLPA ain't backing down one bit and I love it

Iamback

Coach
Not patronising at all Ricky lol
The RLPA are the players.

“I feel sorry for the players because I believe that if you spoke to 95% of the players they wouldn’t even know why they aren’t allowed to talk to the media.
“I think they are being used and it’s wrong because there are young boys who have no idea why it’s there and I think they are being used in this regard.

Do you think those guys on debut want to talk about the game?

Iamback

Coach
I love how the Gordie is calling the players selfish for boycotting but he was part of it too in the past. Big difference now is the the power of the social media. The RLPA ain't backing down one bit and I love it

Both sides should be backing down a bit.

Though it would explain why no deal has been done

Latest posts