What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

MugaB

Coach
it would never happen in isolation of participation and development strategies. That’s an area we do fall over on time and again though. people have been saying not enough talent for decades but what has nrl done to address that issue? Some of those clubs such as png and nz are easier fixes due to participation rates or raw natural ability, others need better consideration and thinking through.

an example is they could give expansion clubs in perth and Adelaide salary cap exemptions to sign talent from outside nrl ie union and uk Etc
No exemptions.... you said it yourself today no one wants to watch a rigged comp.. by handing out an exemption, you give those areas a leg up... which they are meant to earn they way the other 17 clubs have

Wb1234

Referee
I still don’t think it is feasible to have 24 sides in a competition (not unless you have a population like Japan, America, China. India etc)

Even putting the size of the market aside, where is this talent coming from? Are we getting players from the States? Are we absolutely dominating the Pacific?
Png is seven million people where average incomes are low and they love rugby league

they should be good for tens of thousands of players

then the pacific islands nz union and super league

Marlins

Juniors
I know it’ll probably never happen but the answer to a lot of these questions is remove the salary cup and bring in promotion/relegation.
Big funded clubs will rise and bring in big investors. current so called smaller teams like some here state (Sharks example) will find their niche and proper belonging. existing clubs like Newtown,Bears, Ipswich Jets, have the chance to make it to a top division and aren’t exiled in State comps. New areas can be bought in, Perth sides for example could be heavily backed. It really is the solution to all these problems.

Canard

Immortal
I know it’ll probably never happen but the answer to a lot of these questions is remove the salary cup and bring in promotion/relegation.
Big funded clubs will rise and bring in big investors. current so called smaller teams like some here state (Sharks example) will find their niche and proper belonging. existing clubs like Newtown,Bears, Ipswich Jets, have the chance to make it to a top division and aren’t exiled in State comps. New areas can be bought in, Perth sides for example could be heavily backed. It really is the solution to all these problems.

The sport is too niche for this to work, and would only result in a boom/bust cycle for all but a few clubs at the top.

Would the same 2 or 3 clubs winning the comp every year be sustainable long term?

If a club/area has a rich benefactor willing to tip in cash how long was this last for? And what's stopping them approaching the NRL now?

Colk

First Grade
Png is seven million people where average incomes are low and they love rugby league

they should be good for tens of thousands of players

PNG is over eight and a half million but you’ll have to invest a lot of money to make it work.

I don’t know why we would want to plunder Super League. We should hope that competition expands and gets better

Canard

Immortal

Why have there not been more then a handful of PNG players in the NRL so far I wonder? Having an NRL club isn't unlocking this talent, its there already.

It's not like NRL clubs would ignore talent, every club would love a Marcus Bai or Justin Olam. I know quite a few have played in the CDRL over the years.

I suggest there are more issues than just money or visas.

Colk

First Grade
The sport is too niche for this to work, and would only result in a boom/bust cycle for all but a few clubs at the top.

Would the same 2 or 3 clubs winning the comp every year be sustainable long term?

If a club/area has a rich benefactor willing to tip in cash how long was this last for? And what's stopping them approaching the NRL now?

Exactly. The only reason is this works for football is that they are clearly the biggest sport in Europe and have very little competition.

Completely different market here

Canard

Immortal
Exactly. The only reason is this works for football is that they are clearly the biggest sport in Europe and have very little competition.

Completely different market here
Biggest sport in the world, not just Europe.

Colk

First Grade
Why have there not been more then a handful of PNG players in the NRL so far I wonder?

It's not like NRL clubs would ignore talent, every club would love a Marcus Bai or Justin Olam.

Money would be the biggest. You would actually have to take it over and invest in it, rather than use the current models

Wb1234

Referee
Why have there not been more then a handful of PNG players in the NRL so far I wonder? Having an NRL club isn't unlocking this talent, its there already.

It's not like NRL clubs would ignore talent, every club would love a Marcus Bai or Justin Olam. I know quite a few have played in the CDRL over the years.

Lmao most nrl clubs can’t even raise juniors in their own areas like the panthers do

png a few years back beat Great Britain coached by bennett

Canard

Immortal
Yes of course hence why I said etc. Nevertheless, it is not as simple as that. If the A-League tried promotion/relegation here, it wouldn’t work

They are talking about it. It will be a while off.

It will be a spectacular disaster.

Wb1234

Referee
PNG is over eight and a half million but you’ll have to invest a lot of money to make it work.

I don’t know why we would want to plunder Super League. We should hope that competition expands and gets better
No you don’t have to spend a lot of money there especially with the currency conversion

and whatever we spend you would develop a hundreds times the number of nrl players the same spending in afl states would produce

Wb1234

Referee
Not really an answer to my question is it?

And that one off result is relevant how?
One off huh

lol

you know exactly what it shows

and yes it was an answer

if most clubs can’t even maximise juniors in their own area why would you think png has been tapped out

Canard

Immortal
One off huh

lol

you know exactly what it shows

and yes it was an answer

if most clubs can’t even maximise juniors in their own area why would you think png has been tapped out
I didn't say it was tapped out.

I want to know why so few PNG players have made the jump to NRL level.

Marlins

Juniors

what’s stopping investors?
Clubs not being in major cities and new areas where investors are from, Perth, Wellington, Adelaide etc.
a pretty low ceiling that currently exists.

Wb1234

Referee
If its a cheap way to produce NRL quality players, then why isn't that happening now?
I’ve answered that

clubs are lazy

if you don’t think it’s a good source of juniors why did the dolphins just link up with them ?

uncle Wayne must rate them

heck even the storm are using their juniors

most nrl clubs are content to do very little actual junior code elopement then sign established players from development clubs

the current system provides very little incentive for clubs to be developmental ones