What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

ByRd

First Grade
1. Stewart
2. Monaghan
3. Cooper
4. Jennings
5. Hayne/Williams
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Kite
11. Creagh
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Waterhouse
16. Poore
17. Bailey

Champ

Juniors
1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarrod Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Matt Cooper
5. Chris Lawrance
6. Braith Anasta
7. Trent Barrett
8. Brent Kite
9. Robbie Farah
10. Willie Mason
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Paul Gallen
14. Kurt Gidley
15. Luke O’Donnell
16. Chris Heighington
17. Keith Galloway

macavity

Referee
anyone who just watched the knights v dragons u20s game would have seen how involved and effective a winger can be.

the argument against putting stewart on the wing is 100% invalid. it isn't like we have 2 superstar wingers with their hands up for selection.

adamkungl

Immortal
anyone who just watched the knights v dragons u20s game would have seen how involved and effective a winger can be.

the argument against putting stewart on the wing is 100% invalid. it isn't like we have 2 superstar wingers with their hands up for selection.

I actually agree with you, putting a FB on the wing might be a good idea, normally i'm against it, but the current crop of NSW wingers is simply not up to scratch.

Spike

First Grade
1 Gidley
2 Merritt
3 Best
4 Jennings
5 Brett Stewart
6 Anasta
7 Mullen
8 Cross
9 Farah
10 Weyman
11 Laffranchi
12 Creagh
13 Mateo

14 Kite
15 Sutton
16 Poore
17 Glenn Stewart

Raider_69

Post Whore
1 Gidley
2 Merritt
3 Best
4 Jennings
5 Brett Stewart
6 Anasta
7 Mullen
8 Cross
9 Farah
10 Weyman
11 Laffranchi
12 Creagh
13 Mateo

14 Kite
15 Sutton
16 Poore
17 Glenn Stewart

Ordinary side because of the players in bold.
Mateo has been rubbish all year. Mullen's not proven he is Origin standard yet though i wouldnt be too opposed to his selection as i think he is the future at #7. Anasta's failed too many times at State level and Merritt, well i dont know why but i just dont like that selection
Draft in Monaghan, Campese, Wallace (although id be ok with Mullen) and probably Gallen at lock, even though i dont rate him

and you've got a good side capible of winning the series

Raider_69

Post Whore
1. gids
2. stewart
3. lyon
4. jennings
5. monas

that is the best possible 3/4 line IMO

Lyon isnt interested in SOO, no point picking him if he's not keen to play
i agree though, thats the best we could conjure up in the state

Given Lyon wont play, ill throw one out there, aside from the fact Cooper is a sure bet... what about Monas to centre and McManus to the wing? McManus has been outstanding for 2 years now, very under-rated. Safe as a bank, and probably the best defensive winger in the comp.

perverse

Referee
to be honest we're finally starting to see a lot of NSW players putting their hands up... and you can put together a few teams that could at least challenge QLD this year... particularly because lockyer and thurston have been completely flaccid.

re: R69 and mcmanus... he's great at club level... and mark hughes played origin so who knows i guess.. but there are much deadlier options that we could go for out wide. if you want someone to catch bombs and defend like an animal you could do worse than mcmanus though. he's added a bit of spark to his attack this year... but i would be tempted to squeeze a michael jennings or some such outside monas and let monas drift out to catch the bombs. having said all of this.. mcmanus is from Darwin.. so i'm not even sure if he's eligible? i don't really know what the rules are with that.

all the positions in the NSW team are just so wide open for mine though.. i really just wanna see a bit more footy. if i were a selector i would not be convinced that anyone had absolutely secured a jersey yet.

Phillips

Referee
Why are people picking Jarryd Hayne in their teams? He's done f**k all this season.

Because he's still a class above nuffies like Monaghan, Best, Merritt, Quinn etc etc.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings/Chris Lawrence
4. Matt Cooper
5. Eric Grothe
6. Terry Campese
7. Peter Wallace
8. Justin Poore
9. Michael Ennis
10. Luke Douglas
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Robbie Farah
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Keith Galloway
17. Michael Weyman

Unlucky; Kurt Gidley, Josh Morris, Jarrod Mullen, Ben Creagh, Luke Lewis, Ben Cross

macavity

Referee
*snip crap team*

LOL

Parra are close to the worst team in the comp, and you want to pick 4 of them.

and TT, you act like its some insult to Stewart to say he could play wing.

seems its not just us "newcastle gronks" (gronks? what are you, 8?) that think it would be a goer.

because, you know, wingers never score tries.... :sarcasm:

1. Stewart
2. Jennings
3. Best
4. Monaghan
5. Lawrence
6. Campese
7. Mullen
8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Watmough
12. Laffranchi
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Poore
16. Creagh
17. Bailey

LOL

Parra are close to the worst team in the comp, and you want to pick 4 of them.

and TT, you act like its some insult to Stewart to say he could play wing.

seems its not just us "newcastle gronks" (gronks? what are you, 8?) that think it would be a goer.

because, you know, wingers never score tries.... :sarcasm:

No, really, you want to put the most effective NSW fullback onto the wing to accomodate the inferior one.

Put some cold water on your hard on and let it go down.