What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
And?

Learoyd Lahrs has been just about our best forward aswell, is playing a hell of a lot better than Kite and Perry, I wont mention Joe Picker.
he is a NSW and Australian incumbent player, playing well for his club, I am suprised he was mentioned by you.

I thought you'd be happy Tongue got picked.

This is where incumbency sucks balls, because it means players that are in good form miss out because of those that "have done the job" before. Which imo is why NSW have lost the last 3 series.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Qld do the same thing.

That said, I want the NSW selectors sacked.

Wait til you see the Aussie side.

saint-colesy

Juniors
people who are mentioning williams... you do mean John Williams right?
Not his brother... who cant even crack the manly squad!

John Williams is a far better player.

My origin squad:

1. Gidley (stewart injured)
2. Monaghan (hasnt had a good start but proven at origin)
3. Jennings
4. Cooper (injured but picks himself. Unlucky Lawrence and Brett Delaney)
5. Hayne (same as monaghan)
6. Campere
7. Wallace
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Laffranchi
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Luke Lewis (can cover 1-13)a proper utility
15. Justin Poore
16. Sutton (ball player can cover 2nd row, lock, 5/8,) Unlucky Mateo, Watmough
17. Kite (same as monaghan/hayne)

I have gone for some new blood in the squad... and some players who have played origin and proven performers
unlucky players are:
Watmough
O'Donnell
Mateo
Lawrence
Delaney
Glenn Stewart

Brett Delaney????????????

Surely you cant be serious?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well it is from these dudes

Luke Bailey (Titans), Colin Best (Rabbitohs), Terry Campese (Raiders), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Ben Cross (Knights), Michael Ennis (Bulldogs), Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers), Paul Gallen (Sharks), Keith Galloway (Wests Tigers), Kurt Gidley (Knights), Jarryd Hayne (Eels), Ryan Hoffman (Storm), Michael Jennings (Panthers), Brent Kite (Sea Eagles), Anthony Laffranchi (Titans), Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers), Luke Lewis (Panthers), Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles), James McManus (Knights), Mark Minichiello (Titans), Joel Monaghan (Raiders), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Jarrod Mullen (Knights), Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters), Josh Perry (Sea Eagles), Justin Poore (Dragons), Anthony Quinn (Storm), Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles), Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles), Glenn Stewart (Sea Eagles), John Sutton (Rabbitohs), Alan Tongue (Raiders), Anthony Tupou (Sharks), Peter Wallace (Broncos), Trent Waterhouse (Panthers), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Michael Weyman (Dragons), David Williams (Sea Eagles).

Not true Angry. The selector have been know to go outside their "training squad" in the past most notably picking Finch in '06.

Pretty pointless naming these squads IMO

Ladmate

Bench
As of the end of round 6, Ennis has an average of 25 tackles, with 4 missed tackles per game (5th worst in the NRL). Robbie Farah has an average of 33 tackles, with 2.67 missed tackles a game. I dont know what u mean by suited to origin, but if u mean:
Makes less tackles
Misses more tackles
Scores less tries (Farah .033 avg, ennis 0)
Makes less line breaks (Farah .05 avg, ennis 0)
Kicks less 40/20's (Farah 2, ennis 0)
Makes more errors (Farah 1.5 avg, ennis 1.67)
Makes less metres (Farah 75.5 avg, ennis 52)
Makes less offloads (Farah 1.33 avg, ennis 1) and;
Has less tackle breaks (Farah 21, ennis 9)
than your competition for the position, then yeh i reckon Ennis has the position sewn up.

Nice!

thenry

Juniors
Out with old, in with the new..

1. K Gidley
2. J McManus
3. M Jennings
4. C Lawrence
5. J Hayne
6. T Campese
7. P Wallace
8. L Bailey
9. R Farah
10. B Kite
11. B Creagh
12. T Waterhouse
13. M Minichiello

14. J Perry
15. M Weyman
16. J Sutton
17. A Watmough​

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not true Angry. The selector have been know to go outside their "training squad" in the past most notably picking Finch in '06.

Pretty pointless naming these squads IMO
Fair point, players can come from outside.

Not pointless though, I bet McManus is feeling ten feet tall and feeling as though someone does notice, be a couple like that. Also for the likes of Mason and Anasta, they will know they have not been up to standard.

the guy has only just come back from injury and only played 5 games last year. Yes he's been playing very well but to suggest he's ready for origin is lunacy.

and nor should you. He's just an average first grader.

First, he was suspended, and second, he's playing better than quite a few of the forwards named, every man and his dog is picking Weyman because he's played a handful of decent games, when if he did that for us, none of you would even suggest him, Learoyd Lahrs is at the very least playing equal to what Weyman is doing for the dragons. And Picker, well...see Ryan Hoffman's selection in that prelim squad.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair point, players can come from outside.

Not pointless though, I bet McManus is feeling ten feet tall and feeling as though someone does notice, be a couple like that. Also for the likes of Mason and Anasta, they will know they have not been up to standard.

Mason's played 3 games I think, played well in one. Obviously should not be selected at this stage.

However any suggestion that Anasta isn't in form is pure Rooster hate.

Sleep

Juniors
In form or not Anasta has never, not once stepped up at Origin level and has had his chances time and time again. They've gotta go with someone else.

Anasta played great last year but again didn't fire in Origin. He's just not a rep level player.

maple_69

Bench
Agreed. Not only has Anasta not fired up, he has failed EPICALLY. He flops around the field (and that's when I even notice him) and generally gets in the way of those actually going about their business. In such a key position he has really contributed to some NSW failures in a pivotal way.
It is sad because I used to really rate him as a player but he just can't go to that next level. That 'most overated' tag is no co-incidence.

adamkungl

Immortal
not once has he ever got an entire series...last year Anasta and Pearce were thrown in for the final game after Wallace and Bird led NSW to one of our worst ever defeats.

Anasta's NSW history:
2002 game 1- bench, NSW 32-4
game 2- 5/8th, QLD 26-18
barret returned from injury for game 3

2003 NSW win first 2 games with Timmins at 5/8th
game 3- lock, QLD 36-6

2005 Barrett injured after game 1, NSW 1-0 down.
game 2- 5/8th, NSW 32-22
game 3- 5/8th, NSW 32-10

2006 game 1- 5/8th NSW 17-16
game 2- 5/8th QLD 30-6
Anasta and 5 others dropped. NSW still lose game 3.

2007 game 1, 5/8th QLD 25-18
game 2, 5/8th QLD 10-6
Anasta injured game 3

2008 game 3, 5/8th QLD 16-10

10 games for 4 wins. Been part of both big wins and big losses. imo the last 3 years NSW have suffered from poor selections in the forwards and lacking game plans. Also I don't believe the constantly said line that an otherwise good player "is incapable of performing at Origin level".

Sleep

Juniors
Those stats mean nothing. I'm surprised he's had ten chances. He has been flat out brutally bad in some of those games. His form was great last year and it just didn't translate in origin. There's a reason why they're so hesistant to select him. He isn't a rep player. Good club player, just isn't rep level. He doesn't have that other level.

mongoose

Coach
not once has he ever got an entire series...last year Anasta and Pearce were thrown in for the final game after Wallace and Bird led NSW to one of our worst ever defeats.

Anasta's NSW history:
2002 game 1- bench, NSW 32-4
game 2- 5/8th, QLD 26-18
barret returned from injury for game 3

2003 NSW win first 2 games with Timmins at 5/8th
game 3- lock, QLD 36-6

2005 Barrett injured after game 1, NSW 1-0 down.
game 2- 5/8th, NSW 32-22
game 3- 5/8th, NSW 32-10

2006 game 1- 5/8th NSW 17-16
game 2- 5/8th QLD 30-6
Anasta and 5 others dropped. NSW still lose game 3.

2007 game 1, 5/8th QLD 25-18
game 2, 5/8th QLD 10-6
Anasta injured game 3

2008 game 3, 5/8th QLD 16-10

10 games for 4 wins. Been part of both big wins and big losses. imo the last 3 years NSW have suffered from poor selections in the forwards and lacking game plans. Also I don't believe the constantly said line that an otherwise good player "is incapable of performing at Origin level".

He was next to andrew johns for 3 of those wins.

Dazraider

Juniors
finally not having anasta in the squad, he cant win us a series and the only player i would add in is wing as he has gone alright in origin and has strength for a rabbit