What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

Ladmate

Bench
Take 3 for me.

1 Kurt Gidley
2 Jarryd Hayne
3 Michael Jennings
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Joel Monaghan
6 Terry Campese
7 Peter Wallace
8 Luke Bailey
9 Robbie Farah
10 Keith Galloway
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
12 Ben Creagh
13 Paul Gallen
--
14 Craig Wing
15 Brent Kite
16 Anthony Laffranchi
17 Michael Weyman

Good, however Hindmarsh wont make it and the utility is always number 14 which I like because it looks good.

nqcowboy87

Bench
from a queenslanders perspective and having watched cvc i would say the following players i dont want to see play becuase they will probably halt the queensland juggernaut and stop us from making 4 series in a row:D

gidley-position unsure

cooper and jennings-centres

wallace-halfback

farah-hooker

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Terry Campese
7. Peter Wallace
8. Luke Bailey
9. Robbie Farah
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Ben Creagh
13. Paul Gallen

14. Craig Wing
15. Michael Weyman
16. Keith Galloway
17. Luke O'Donnell

Was hard to choose between Hayne, Lawrence and McManus for the wing spot. I picked Hayne because I think we need a winger who has attacking flair and can defuse bombs well. McManus can defuse the bombs but I don't know if he has the attacking flair we need. Lawrence is the opposite. I think Campese should get the nod over Mullen purely because he is like having an extra forward. Mullen does have the advantage of being a left foot kicker to mix it up a bit but we have Farah to do that from dummy half.

Last edited:

petetheileet

First Grade
Galloway out.....

i think Creagh will be given a bench spot now to cover a the back and front row...whatever is needed.

The more i see Thurston, Slater and Smith find form and the worse i see Campese go the less i like his chances....

they are gna score a mountain of points unless we can defend well, kick long and chase hard.

the more i think about it the more i now want Lewis and Cooper as the Centres

Lyon has been on fire... here is my solution

1. Gidley
2. Monaghan
3. Cooper
4. Lewis
5. Hayne
6. Lyon
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Bailey
11. Laffranci
12. Watmough (I wish Waterhouse)
13. Gallen/Stewart

14.Weyman
15. Creagh
16. Stewart/Gallen
17. Wing

Now i would have confidence in that team to get a job done..

it is probably the stongest and safest 1-5 and you know that entire backline is experienced in big games and have cool heads.

Lyon: Im not a fan and originally didnt want him even in teh squad, however id say he would suit this team perfectly, farah and Wallace can dominate the ball playing, with the hand of Stewart and Wing if need be. Get Lyon standing wide on that right side with lewis and let them just play.

With the right game plan i would have real confidence in that team to get over the top of QLD with the ball and in defense

Dont give Lyon too much kicking or anything else to do...Wallace is cool and can control the play...

I really think this team can do it...

thoughts??

Deetroy72

Juniors
My team:

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Luke Lewis
7. Peter Wallace
8. Luke Bailey
9. Robbie Farah
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Paul Gallen

14. Craig Wing
15. Michael Weyman
16. ben Creagh
17. anthony watmough

strategy to beat Queensland -

adopt what the titans did to storm earlier in the year by kicking the ball dead in goal when not a red zone opportunity and make queensland start from a 20m tap - that way nsw can set defense and avoid any broken play scenario's where queensland score points - not perfect but could try for atleast 1 half? hehe obviuosly need to limit queensland backs ie. folau off high ball, hodges one on one with space and plse plse plse nsw dont let a forward get isolated against jonathon thurston out wide where he will sell the dummy

limit inglis involvement by getting up early and no broken play opportunities and watch his early fend if it works he will try all night for one on ones.

loose forwards to target cameron smith and his dummy half running down blindside and finally dont give lockyer any room to move or pass to inside runners

whew....

nsw have a team that can unite and give queensland good shot at taking game 1

Sleep

Juniors
Even though Cooper hasn't been playing that well there's no way he misses out. Lyon and Cooper will be the centres.

Doesn't bother me too much. I'd rather have Jennings play on the weekend for the Panthers. Plus I'll get to see him live in action down at WIN next Friday. :D

abpanther

Staff member
THey have to decide what strategy they wanna go with, do they wanna pick big defensive players and try to bottle up the QLD attack and play field position (e.g. Lewis, Cooper, etc), or do they wanna bring in some players with game breaking ability to try to match it with QLD (e.g. Jennings, Mullen, etc).

perverse

Referee
i think the theory of containing queensland has been tried and failed far too often over the past 3 years. i think we need to try and run those aging forwards ragged. blokes like jennings, mullen, gidley etc would have a field day late in both halves in an origin match. i don't really care who the wingers are to be honest... i'd love mcmanus to get a shot at it from a knights supporters POV (we have uate and vuna to "fill in" anyway)... so i've slipped him into my team. he's probably our best shot at containing folau too.

1. Gidley (c)
2. McManus
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Hayne

6. Mullen
7. Wallace

8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Bailey
11. Laffranchi
12. Stewart
13. Gallen

14. Lewis/Ennis
15. Weyman
16. Creagh
17. Waterhouse

that would be my team.. and to be honest i think the selectors will go pretty close to it. the 2nd rowers are all very hard to pick... we have oodles of quality there.

Ladmate

Bench
1.Gidley (c)
2.McManus
3.Cooper
4.Lyon
5.Hayne

6.Mullen
7.Wallace

8.Bailey
9.Farah
10.Kite

14.Wing
15.Poore
16.Weyman
17.Waterhouse

Don't know back-row yet.

icewind

Juniors
i think the theory of containing queensland has been tried and failed far too often over the past 3 years. i think we need to try and run those aging forwards ragged.

Yes, guys like Myles, Hannant, Thaiday, Crocker, Johnson, Harrison, Costigan and Parker are really 'too old, too slow'. Where have I heard that saying before? Oh, that's right, just ask Civ and Price how that turned out. ;)

Raider_69

Post Whore
nothing short of a man of the match from campo this weekend will save his spot. I think he's still our best option. Good ball player, dangerous runner. And with in form quality around him, one of most dangerous players in the game. He's also a very good defender and his size is a definite advantage-
My side which would give us a chance to beat them.

1. Giddley 2. Hayne 3. Jennings 4. Lyon 5. Monaghan 6. Campese 7. Wallace 8. Bailey 9. Farah 10. Kite 11. Laffranchi 12. Stewart 13. Gallen

14. Lewis 15. Weyman 16. Creagh 17. Poore.

But without bias, one of few raiders still playing well is Tom Learoyd-Lars. The blues could do a lot worse then him off the bench for impact.

Raider_69

Post Whore
just remembered Trent Waterhouse and Chris Houston. Who would both be ahead of Justin Poore in my opinion.
If they don't go with Campo, Mullen is a must. Its gotta be between them. Lewis, Lyon etc, are dumb options

~knights~

Juniors
I don't think they are dumb (lewis,lyon)

just that they both are better defenders than campese/mullen

depends which way the coach wants to go

for attacking style you can't go past the other2 although mullen is slightly in front on form
like you said R69...he will need a BIG game

Sleep

Juniors
Waterhouse has been killing it this year but he didn't have a great game against the Sharks and picked up an injury. Probably won't help his cause. I think he should be in the team but I highly doubt that he will be.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
blues need to score points, last year they generally struggled. you dont want crap defenders but picking a defensive side wont win you games either. for this reason i think cooper will be left out. jjennings has some bad defense in him but he's also a gamebreaker

this is also the reason i'd have mullen over campese who's back to be being an average first grader (at best). size makes no difference if you cant use it to your advantage

Tom155

Coach
1. Gidley
2. Mcmanus
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Hayne
6. Mullen
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite