What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season 2022-23

Matua

Bench
Cookie Time thought it was a great idea to hand out bags of mini cookies at the gate, thousands of them found the playing paddock.
Even more evidence that you Cantabs are broken. šŸ˜‰ What a waste of damn tasty cookies.

Also, I assume the Shield match you mention is the Steve Walsh Jnr stitch up ... him reffing that was as bad as having an Oz ref for a Kangaroos game.

Blair

Coach
If it already hasn't been done then a Penrith fan needs to get off their glory-hunting arse and head down to the stadium and document it in photos, like I did at Brookvale.

We know it's slated for demolition, we know they'll miss it. I'm not going down there to do it for them (the photos that is, not the demolition) as I don't have the emotional connection with the joint.

Blair

Coach
Cheers guys, it's time for me to take my summer break from here. Footy wears me out! I'll still read the forum, so thanks for keeping it ticking over.

Next year is extra-exciting for me because I reckon I'll attend my first ever game at Mt Smart, and I'll watch for the announcement of the signing of a good, new prop that will make that game more competitive!

Have a good one, take care, and I'll see you all for round one in March.

Last edited:
The following is from part of an article on the Fox sports website (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7a78b36ac9c36e463cf2bd3d41c87051) -

WEBSTERā€™S WARRIORS BAPTISM OF FIRE

Former Panthers assistant Andrew Webster is confident he wonā€™t fall victim to the ā€œbiggest mistakeā€ new coaches make as he takes over at the Warriors ahead of the 2023 season.

Webster worked alongside Cameron Ciraldo and Ivan Cleary during an incredibly successful period for the Panthers, winning back-to-back premierships in 2021 and 2022.

Across NRL history, coaches have attempted to implement strategies from their old club into their new team to varying success.

Webster believes to return the New Zealand outfit to the finals race he must begin developing juniors and find the best method to unlock the clubā€™s talented group.

ā€œThe biggest mistake coaches make is they copy and paste things from where theyā€™ve been.

ā€œBut that might not suit this group of players,ā€ Webster said to The Daily Telegraph.

ā€œWe have things that are non-negotiables. We are going to have a team that works hard and will be a skilful attacking side.

ā€œThe best way for the Warriors to have success is via the pathways, which is hard to do when the players havenā€™t been in New Zealand.

ā€œThe staff have done a terrific job while the NRL has been away.ā€

Meanwhile, Shaun Johnsonā€™s form was consistently under the microscope across the 2022 season.

While once the Warriors returned to their Auckland base the halfbackā€™s performances clearly improved, Webster wants to get the best out of the dazzling ballrunner.

ā€œI told Shaun that if he had the fire and ambition to play at the highest level and to his potential, then I wanted him here,ā€ Webster said.

ā€œI couldnā€™t have made that clearer ā€“ and he couldnā€™t have answered stronger.

ā€œI know when heā€™s happy off the field and connected to his family, thatā€™s when Shaun plays his best football. I know that from first-hand experience.

ā€œWhen he returned home last year he played his best football. Iā€™m excited about the legacy Shaun can have.ā€

Webster has in the past filled in as head aoch at the Tigers after Jason Taylor was sacked in 2017, also working as an assistant under Andrew McFadden across the Tasman.

However, the 40-year-old is under no illusions how big a task he has ahead of him.

ā€œEveryone asks if youā€™re ready to be a head coach. If I stayed at Penrith for five more years then I wouldā€™ve been five years more ready,ā€ Webster said.

ā€œHaving an opportunity to work at a club I knew and felt comfortable at is a big advantage. If someone else got offered the job and had never been living in Auckland then it would have been a different challenge.ā€

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Flegler in high demand, says he wants to stay with the Broncos. Manly offering $675k a year for 6 years, Warriors and Titans sniffing too

LeagueNut

First Grade
Would we want him? When I hear the name Flegler I think "risky loose cannon", almost in the Jack Hetherington mould. But I haven't been following the Broncos that closely so I might have him confused with someone else.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Tell me your all in on young Dylan Brown.

Ok if you do not get him, but throw the house and build around.

I heard Harris Tevita is going to have a break, I reckon that is awesome.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Yeah Harris Tavita is taking a gap year. Id say its highly likely he'll be back in 2024, though not necessarily with us.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Dolphins are more desperate for a half than us, which is incredible even as I write it. Sean O'Sullivan + Anthony Milford ain't getting the job done. They'll toss more at Brown than we can probably afford, plus we've already tried to pay overs for him and he turned it down.

We have TMM, Volkman, Metcalf (if he plays there) and CHT if he decides to return, I wouldn't advocate for spending $1m plus on Brown when we're in more need of a big-name, consistent prop.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The following is from part of an article on the Fox sports website (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7a78b36ac9c36e463cf2bd3d41c87051) -
I love all I'm hearing from Webster. Not for a second do I think we become premiership contenders because he's arrived, but he just has that feel of a deep-thinking, focused, level-headed guy - the personality of a Todd Payten, Ivan Cleary etc. He knows our club, our players, he seems like he's been thinking deeply about what our best XVII is next year, I really get the feeling he's going to make a difference.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yeah Harris Tavita is taking a gap year. Id say its highly likely he'll be back in 2024, though not necessarily with us.
Go play in France.

Explore, be a young fella.

More Aussies and Kiwis should play in England and France, not old merkins, in thier prime.

The experience fellas.

Live a little, do not be hermits.

That is for Victorians.

Get out there!!!!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You know what Harris Tevita, you never have to play again, go surfing in France, or visit the Amazon.

Do what ever. I admire you for giving it up, for now at least.

Probably do some other kids well too.

I promote gap years for players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of the greatest attempts at pulling wool over people's eyes of all time...I went on a child sex line to try and get drugs. Yeah, OK pal. And I go to the bottle shop for bread and milk.
And the judge fell for it! Always good to see the courts protecting the community!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's patently ridiculous. I'm not a drug taker, and I'm sure it's addictive as f**k in the grips of it, but to lower yourself to a child sex line? To go along with it for that? To send the messages he did? I still call BS. I also refuse to believe drug dealers stopped working in lockdowns.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Manly tried to employ Laurie Daley to add to the coaching staff, the NRL said no because his breakfast radio show which is sponsored by a gambling company is a conflict of interest

interesting considering they consider no conflict of interest with Braith Anasta where the flagship NRL show is hosted by an NRL accredited player manager

Manly tried to employ Laurie Daley to add to the coaching staff, the NRL said no because his breakfast radio show which is sponsored by a gambling company is a conflict of interest

interesting considering they consider no conflict of interest with Braith Anasta where the flagship NRL show is hosted by an NRL accredited player manager
Probably some exclusivity contract with NRL for a gambling company. But still BS unless Daley wearing a tab shirt at work