What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

steggz

Juniors
They probably should have done their due diligence before making him their poster boy for how diverse and multicultural they are, it was embarrassing how they fawned over him as some sort of exotic attraction. For a code that prides itself on being indigenous, it sure is insecure about its international relevance.

If it's only come up this year (he was questioned a month or two ago) what were the chances that North Melbourne or the AFL could have known about it when they drafted him?

Flapper

First Grade
All an AFL journo - any AFL journo - has to do is put it in perspective. They can say all they want about Carney sucking down piss, but they have to admit the Majak Daw situation is a lot worse. It's not like that's an incorrect thing to say.

Starkers

Bench
The timeline is irrelevant on Daw, once charged he should have been immediately stood down pending the court case. How they can allow him to play under these circumstances is bewildering.

ek999

First Grade
The NRL allowed Brett Stewart (besides a 4 week ban for being intoxicated) and Anthony Laffranchi to continue playing when they were facing rape charges

Canard

Immortal
The NRL allowed Brett Stewart (besides a 4 week ban for being intoxicated) and Anthony Laffranchi to continue playing when they were facing rape charges

There is another guy, Marley Williams who was convicted of assault charges who has been allowed to continue to play unhindered. And this is a RECENT case.

Its all positives in the media about it http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-defender-marley-williams-turning-life-around-after-avoiding-jail-for-assault-murray-newman-takes-positive-steps/story-fni5f6hd-1226947653530?nk=1cff791a0092176bc8095919f4e2697c

The NRL have stood players down immediately after similar cases recently. It's a one way street with the Australian media. There is NO WAY the Tele would run the same article on League assault convictions.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Well done Tracey Holmes. She never used to stick up for league but lately she has. It's a shame Roy didn't come in to back her up against that snide little Victorian. Holmes made a great point comparing rape to bubbling. Stephen Milne and that little git from GWS (toby) should have been brought up as well.

All Wheatly wanted to do was talk about was Carney. No Victorian mates to help him out yesterday.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Tracy Holmes is was great. Ive never heard of her before, but it was great to listen to someone take passionately about RL without the constant threat of a dick-joke seeping in (read; johns/fitler/literally every channel 9 NRL commentator).

I was just thinking "wouldnt it be great to have her on one of the RL programs. you know, one of the properly intellectual ones, like... um"

Then Channel 9 made me sad all over again.

Last edited:

Starkers

Bench

This is true under the last administration, however since Dave Smith and the ARLC took over there has been far less tolerance for this type of thing, Blake Ferguson being a prime example. The NRL is changing things and moving in the right direction. The AFL is still covering things up and trying to escape punishment at all costs.

I didn't manage to catch the whole "Insiders" program yesterday (meaning I missed the all-in "AFL Granny" love-fest between Caro and the Schnoz at the beginning) but I did catch a confusing exchange between Roy Masters and Caro Wilson at the end of the program.

When Schnozboy went around the guests to ask what they were looking forward to this week Roy Masters made the point that he was looking forward to the Clash of the Poms - referring to the fact that the Grand Final next week will feature a bunch of talented Poms in the form of the Burgess brothers and Mr Cranky himself, James "Dentophobe" Graham...

Roy couldn't help himself then and turned to Caro Wilson, adding: "You know, because our game is international we get talented players from the other side of the world to play in our competition..." Caro was visibly pissed off and came back with "Well, Luke Hodge said AFL is the greatest game in the world..."

Now, I had no idea who this Tom Lodge was so I looked him on the interwebs and he is apparently a St. Hawktown player who won the Joe Blow medal for "irredeemable smugness in a Granny"... so it's no wonder he might say that AFL is the best game in the world.

So was it just the world's worst comeback in the history of the Code wars from the only woman allowed to report on fumbleball or have I misheard her and did she say something else like...?

"Well, the UN just declared Tom Lodge to be the most talented player of any sport on earth?"
"Well, Tom Jones said the AFL Grand Final was the greatest sporting moment he's ever witnessed..."

Anyone?

Or did I miss something from the first half of the show that will explain this?

JW

Coach
A shocking comeback yet something similar would be trotted out by just about any Fumbling aficionado in that context.

As the saying goes, Fumbleball - world famous in Victoria.

mongoose

Coach
I didn't manage to catch the whole "Insiders" program yesterday (meaning I missed the all-in "AFL Granny" love-fest between Caro and the Schnoz at the beginning) but I did catch a confusing exchange between Roy Masters and Caro Wilson at the end of the program.

When Schnozboy went around the guests to ask what they were looking forward to this week Roy Masters made the point that he was looking forward to the Clash of the Poms - referring to the fact that the Grand Final next week will feature a bunch of talented Poms in the form of the Burgess brothers and Mr Cranky himself, James "Dentophobe" Graham...

Roy couldn't help himself then and turned to Caro Wilson, adding: "You know, because our game is international we get talented players from the other side of the world to play in our competition..." Caro was visibly pissed off and came back with "Well, Luke Hodge said AFL is the greatest game in the world..."

Now, I had no idea who this Tom Lodge was so I looked him on the interwebs and he is apparently a St. Hawktown player who won the Joe Blow medal for "irredeemable smugness in a Granny"... so it's no wonder he might say that AFL is the best game in the world.

So was it just the world's worst comeback in the history of the Code wars from the only woman allowed to report on fumbleball or have I misheard her and did she say something else like...?

"Well, the UN just declared Tom Lodge to be the most talented player of any sport on earth?"
"Well, Tom Jones said the AFL Grand Final was the greatest sporting moment he's ever witnessed..."

Anyone?

Or did I miss something from the first half of the show that will explain this?

I watched the start of it. Roy made a comment early in the show about GWS players living in breakfast point (not anywhere near Blacktown) and Caro was not impressed. I haven't watched the show in ages but Caroline Wilson clearly has a lot of contempt for Rugby League.

I watched the start of it. Roy made a comment early in the show about GWS players living in breakfast point (not anywhere near Blacktown) and Caro was not impressed. I haven't watched the show in ages but Caroline Wilson clearly has a lot of contempt for Rugby League.
According to a lot of fans of fumbleball she is the aFLs voice and was Andy 5 chins as well.

LESStar58

Referee
A shocking comeback yet something similar would be trotted out by just about any Fumbling aficionado in that context.

As the saying goes, Fumbleball - world famous in Victoria.

Summed it up perfectly. The stock standard response of a deluded fumbleball cult member. This is what i deal with every day down here. Grrrrrrr.

elbusto

Coach
Summed it up perfectly. The stock standard response of a deluded fumbleball cult member. This is what i deal with every day down here. Grrrrrrr.

It is not so bad down here these days. A lot of people watch SOO and the Grand Final (12% of the population) and there are an increasing number of AFL players I talk to down here who like the game.

Latest posts