What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On a Positive Note

yy_cheng

Coach
Don't need forwards passing before the line. Need them to hit the line and get fast play the balls to get us on the front foot to get the backs involved.
That style of play the dogs have worked for the first year, the last couple of seasons haven't though.

We dont have the pack nor the experience in the pack to do that.

Mannah and Fui's play the balls are not that fast and they are the most experienced.

Hence, we need to find different strategies.

I am still not sold on our halves. Kelly, I hate. I actually would rather Robbo back.

Norman still finding his feet.

What Paulo and Edwards add to the pack is providing ball to our strengths outwide.

This occurs when Kelly. Norman, Hayne aren't setup for one of those sweeping moves.

It is what watmough and g steward adds to Manly albeit our version is no where as good or experienced.

yy_cheng

Coach
Would it be worth playing Sandow off the bench and peats could play 80 minutes and move into the second row if necessary

That's what I would do if BA doesn't drop Arthurs.

If we need to up the tempo or need a field goal or goal kick, throw him in in spurts.

If we need to defend, get him out of there.

It will mean less interchanges.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You're a very harsh judge Pou, I want to sit through a game with you so I can try and understand what you are watching...

I think Tanginoa will become a great player but at the moment he still has plenty to learn.

As for Joe Paulo, I rate him as a solid first grader but I honestly would let him go at the end of the season for the simple reason that he is off contract. About the only off contract top 25 player I would keep would be Mannah, and then only at the right price.

We have plenty of talent on second tier contracts that need to come into the top 25. Starting the season with three second tier players in the NRL team just kills your flexibility from the word go.

Let go of:

Gower
Kelly
Moimoi
Paulo
Sio
Smith

Bring in:

Edwards
Ma'u
Pauli
Pritchard
Radradra
One external signing (I would go for Josh McCrone - wouldn't be too expensive (maybe $300k) and he defends better than Sandow, and does everything as well or better than Kelly)

If we let go of Mannah I would sign someone like Watmough for two years.

Last edited:

Joely01

Bench
That's what I would do if BA doesn't drop Arthurs.

If we need to up the tempo or need a field goal or goal kick, throw him in in spurts.

If we need to defend, get him out of there.

It will mean less interchanges.

BA to drop Arthurs?

That'll be a good conversation tomorrow

Joely01

Bench
I think Tanginoa will become a great player but at the moment he still has plenty to learn.

As for Joe Paulo, I rate him as a solid first grader but I honestly would let him go at the end of the season for the simple reason that he is off contract. About the only off contract top 25 player I would keep would be Mannah, and then only at the right price.

We have plenty of talent on second tier contracts that need to come into the top 25. Starting the season with three second tier players in the NRL team just kills your flexibility from the word go.

Let go of:

Gower
Kelly
Moimoi
Paulo
Sio
Smith

Bring in:

Edwards
Ma'u
Pauli
Pritchard
Radradra
One external signing (I would go for Josh McCrone - wouldn't be too expensive (maybe $300k) and he defends better than Sandow, and does everything as well or better than Kelly)

300k for a player you say does everything as well as a players on about 150k....

I would put faith into Sandow next year. I'd also keep Gower and Sio, personally Fui as well but can see why he wouldn't be.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
300k for a player you say does everything as well as a players on about 150k....

I said as well or better. He is a better playmaker and defender than Kelly. McCrone is quality. Not Origin quality, but good enough for a premiership if your other half (i.e. Norman) is good.

I would put faith into Sandow next year. I'd also keep Gower and Sio, personally Fui as well but can see why he wouldn't be.
We've got until about mid year to make a recruitment/retention decision on next year's halves. Kelly went missing today (although we were attacking Cherry-Evans and Satini on our left) and I'm sure we've already made the decision not to renew Sandow's contract.

As for retention, we need to let a few blokes go, and that means blokes off contract. I'm certain Pauli and Pritchard's contracts are structured to put them in next year's top 25, as is Ma'u's recent extension. Then Edwards and Radradra need to come into the top 25 if their contracts aren't also already structured the same way. There's a good chance we need to let five of these off contract seven go anyway. Arthur might be trying to decide which one or two to keep (and probably leaning toward Kelly and/or Mannah).

Ron Jeremy

Coach
but Sutton has playmaking abilities, like Graham or Glenn stewart. Unilke Paulo who is a mistake ridden lazy crab running merkin. When he runs onto the field the Parra brand dies a little more at a time.

Sutton and the wolfman are the Ricky Stuarts of the nrl.

Oh and same with Mitchell Pearce - would hate to have all three at our club

Chipmunk

Coach

Let go of:

Gower
Kelly
Moimoi
Paulo
Sio
Smith

Bring in:

Edwards
Ma'u
Pauli
Pritchard
Radradra

If we let go of Mannah I would sign someone like Watmough for two years.

I agree with letting everyone go. I would actually also let Mannah, but at the right price I would keep him.

I think we could do with a couple of signings.

Is McCrone off contract?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Paulo's attack is good - but we don't use enough runners running off him. Half the time he crabs across field and finds a gap, but nobody is supporting him.

His defence is deplorable, though - which links up withy next point: Pauli Pauli.

I rate the kid, but if people are worried about Seffa's defence and they want Pauli Pauli in First Grade...

byrner

Juniors
Another positive is the commentators confirmed that Ma'u wants his name pronounced the way we want to pronounce it - Mow (as in cow), not Mah-OO.

So we can make our banners for the Chairman.

I heard this and thought of the Chairman. Great nick name

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Paulo's attack is good - but we don't use enough runners running off him. Half the time he crabs across field and finds a gap, but nobody is supporting him.

His defence is deplorable, though - which links up withy next point: Pauli Pauli.

I rate the kid, but if people are worried about Seffa's defence and they want Pauli Pauli in First Grade...

It's less of an issue for front rowers. They just need to get in front of the runner and then wrestle after contact. Props are some of the worst tacklers in the game. It generally doesn't matter though because there is less ball movement in the middle, and there is less space between defenders.

Latest posts