What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Not sure if it has been mentioned but after that arrogant wanker from afl was given another $11m from both state & federalm government to build another training facility gws he said that essondon are fine & they have nothing to worry about. Why does he know this?

Hey; who, what, when?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Well Dingles, I will say that between 14 and 20 league players will receive bans and 20 plus AFL players from the ASADA investigation.

You are saying a few - around 3 (by definition).

I'm saying at least 14.

Let's see who was right at the end of the day.

Even by that definition of 14, do you think that is evidence of widespread (including entire teams) use of:
Peptides
Hormones
Illicit drugs
Drugs not approved for human use

Across a number of players and across a number of teams... A number is clearly not one, two or 3... By definition of course... That's what the original press release stated. I don't think it is fair to count a member of a team in 2011/2012 and now with another team, as an additional team involved unless that allegation follows them.

Now lets take the crime commission component of organised crime and match fixing out of this for a minute. (After all we are still waiting to hear more on this anyway, as not much has been said)

Do you think that 14 is evidence of a job well done and fitting of the press release that was given? 14 isn't even evidence of one entire team doping in the NRL. Even at 20, I think this investigation is well short of the hype with which it was released.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/i-always-had-asadas-consent-dank-20130408-2hhgk.html

I always had ASADA's consent: Dank

Date
April 9, 2013

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

Sports scientist Stephen Dank says he never administered a single product or substance to any athlete without the prior consent of ASADA or WADA.

The Australian biochemist has worked with NRL and AFL clubs for two decades in a number of capacities, including high-performance consultation, technical analysis and the provision of supplement programs. Dank's tenure at Cronulla, Manly and Essendon has come under particular scrutiny, and those clubs were named in the Australian Crime Commission's report into doping and the integrity of sport.

However, Dank said the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority had approved all of his products and methods, and he had never gone outside those boundaries.

''Before I've done anything in any forum, we have always had conversations with WADA [the World Anti-Doping Agency] or ASADA - or in some cases both,'' Dank told Fairfax Media.

''From that point of view, they were always well informed of anything we were about to use. Nothing was ever used without asking them first and, in some cases, both parties were asked.

''Never once was anything indicated to me that we would have issues in terms of anything we used.''

ASADA is in the process of interviewing 31 NRL players of interest as part of their investigations. Up to 14 Cronulla players are expected to be involved in the process, which is expected to take six weeks.

While Dank's time at the Sharks is under scrutiny, he has long maintained that he has never administered illegal performance-enhancing substances. Lawyers acting for Dank recently launched the first of a series of defamation actions over what he believes are false doping allegations.

Dank has always been fiercely protective of his intellectual property, but felt the need to cover his methods with WADA or ASADA.

''It was always a continuing process,'' he said. ''The only exception was if I had something approved in a particular class, sometimes based on the clearance of a particular product. I didn't have to go back to them on every single product within that class.

''Sometimes we spoke directly about the class, and at other times directly about the substance.

''Obviously I've always had a deep, intimate knowledge of both the WADA Code and also the ASADA Act. The WADA prohibitive list as it governs what substances can be used, the WADA code in terms of how it conducts its business and the ASADA Act in terms of how it has to conduct its business.''

As yet, no Cronulla players have been interviewed by ASADA amid fears the investigation could overshadow the Origin series and potentially even the NRL play-offs.

Coach Shane Flanagan said the ongoing cloud over the club had adversely affected the players, most notably in their upset loss to Parramatta on Saturday night.

Australian Rugby League Commission chief executive Dave Smith has also outlined contingency plans should a team have a number of players stood down for doping offences.

One of the options is an internal draft, with each club required to make available players ranked 16 to 25 from their top squad.

Fairfax Media revealed that the NRL faced the prospect of players being stood down on a daily or weekly basis if ASADA uncovered enough evidence of players taking performance- enhancing drugs.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/gazelle-opens-up-on-peptide-pain-20130408-2hhe0.html

Gazelle opens up on peptide pain

Date
April 9, 2013

Danny Weidler
Sport columnist

Darren Hibbert, aka ''The Gazelle'', says he laughed when he heard the words ''the darkest day in Australian sport''.

Hibbert thinks it's time ASADA got on the front foot and came out with a list of supplements and drugs that players can take without punishment.

''We need a list and we need an athlete advocate to take the confusion out of the situation,'' he said. ''Before 2011 there was no mention of peptides, and look at the problems that are going on in sport right now. It's up to athletes to find that stuff out. It's not right.''

Hibbert has been painted as a drug dealer, and his career is being stymied because of the negative publicity he has been receiving.

''They said I sell peptides or drugs out of my boot - I don't do that, I drive a station wagon, I don't even have a boot.''

His employers, Advanced Sports Nutrition, were so concerned about his image and their own that they told Hibbert they were going to get the story that ran on Nine News on Monday night pulled.

They made a phone call to Hibbert and then to me to find out the contents of the interview.

''It is hurting me, it is hurting my family and it is affecting the way I can do my job because I can't be around the players at the moment because I'm viewed as some kind of a drug dealer,'' he said. ''It's just not right or fair. If I had something to hide I wouldn't show my face. It was my decision to do that. All we have done is be more advanced than other high-performance units.''

Hibbert continues to protect the identity of the players who bought supplements from him. But he says the moment he is cleared of any wrongdoing he will happily discuss the matter.

''Let's just say that they are some of the biggest stars in the game and I am not protecting because they have done anything wrong,'' he said.

''I've just seen what has happened to Steve Dank. Steve and I have been made the scapegoats of all of this and I don't want players to be named. When all is said and done and they find that we have done nothing wrong then I'll be happy to talk about that.''

Hibbert feels for the players involved. ''I'd be devastated if anything happened to the players,'' he said. ''I've helped shape some of their careers, and they put their trust in me. It would be totally unfair if they were wiped out.''

Hibbert was by Dank's side during his time at Manly and again at Cronulla and saw everything that went on.

''And we did nothing wrong,'' he said. ''I would never encourage a single athlete to cheat. Never. I will say that there is a whole heap of new stuff around that ASADA would have no idea about. Peptides are not the danger by a long shot. We were very cautious with everything that we did. We check everything time and again. I have full trust in Steve Dank. We did a lot of research together and we get pleasure out of helping athletes.''

Hibbert refused to detail what the Sharks did behind closed doors. In Monday night's Nine News interview, he answered plenty of questions - but stopped short when I asked him if he was involved with players injecting peptides. ''I did nothing illegal and have never given a player a banned drug,'' he said.

However, in a legal argument Hibbert believes that if peptides were given to players it will be shown they did nothing wrong.

''It's such a grey area, and I think lawyers will be able to prove that no one did anything wrong. I can't help but think this is what it is all about. The government knows a lot of people are using these products, and they are not getting money out of it because these products can't be patented by a pharmaceutical company.

''As for what we did and what Steve did, well, the ACC report has mentioned the peptide use but you would need to speak to Steve about the actual protocol that they were using. I know we did nothing wrong but my lawyer says not to discuss it.''

What about claims horse drugs were used? ''I really don't know where that came from. That was a really stupid comment and that is probably why he [Damian Irvine] is no longer a chairman [at Cronulla].''

Hibbert claims there is more to this story than sport. ''The timing of it is so odd,'' he said. ''It's like the government is afraid of sports supplements … they are not performance enhancing. There is another misconception … the way that the WADA list is interpreted … when we were at Manly in 2008 same problem with Humanofort … a product that we sell.

''It has IGF-1 in it, and that is on the banned list … but in that case you can't drink milk, eat meat, have dairy products because they contain it as well - we had to confirm with WADA in Germany to say that we could give it to NRL players, and then we proceeded.''

There were suggestions the Sharks have banned their players from using any supplements because of the scandal engulfing the club - but that has been denied by the club.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Not sure if it has been mentioned but after that arrogant wanker from afl was given another $11m from both state & federalm government to build another training facility gws he said that essondon are fine & they have nothing to worry about. Why does he know this?

they get more hand outs than any charity. it's sickening because they have special people employed to go scabbing off Labor

i'd be very surprised if ASADA haven't been told that Essendon are off limits

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is ASADA's entire investigation based solely on links to Dank?

If so, why isn't he investigated instead of the players. If theres no wrong doing on his part, then theres no need to be investigating players.

Canard

Immortal
Weilder open advocating for these guys makes them seem more guilty not less. Its sickening the bullshit he is writing in these pieces.

"I don't even have a boot, I own a station wagon" IT'S A METAPHOR YOU f**kTARD!!

As for this "Hibbert thinks it's time ASADA got on the front foot and came out with a list of supplements and drugs that players can take without punishment."

Really?? That list would be out of date within seconds of it being created? What would be the point? Other than allowing cheats to get off by claiming what they took wasn't on the list.

And its taken 4 months for them to announce that ASADA has approved everyone of there treatments? Why not state this openly on the first day? Seems bullshit to me.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/features/cronulla-sharks-and-thymosinbeta-4-is-it-doping/

Cronulla Sharks and thymosinbeta-4…is it doping?
Dr Benjamin Koh

Fairfax Media reported on 7 March that 14 players from the Cronulla Sharks NRL club may be suspended by the Australian Anti-Doping Agency (ASADA) for the alleged use of a substance called thymosin beta-4 (TB-4), during the 2011 season.

At this stage, according to the media, it’s believed the players’ use of this substance (a naturally-occurring peptide) was inadvertent, and the players involved – who have not been named – may be offered reduced six-month bans (as opposed to two years) for their use of performance-enhancing drugs.

So what, exactly, is TB-4, and how does it tie into sports doping?

The beta-thymosins are a family of proteins, and there are currently 16 known versions in that class of compounds – among them TB-4.

TB-4 has been found naturally in human blood platelets, white blood cells, the thymus gland and the spleen. Because of its naturally high concentration in the human body and its ubiquitous distribution, it’s believed to play an important role in cell survival, as well as in the repair and regeneration of damaged tissue.

Is it doping?

In February, the Australian Crime Commission’s report into organised crime and drugs in sport, thymosin was listed as a substance used in injury recovery, but the report seemed to be conflicted in terms of thymosin’s legality in sport.

The ACC report listed it as an unregulated substance that is prohibited under section S2 of WADA’s list of substances prohibited in-competition.

But the report also referred to it as a substance prohibited only if “subject to the form used” – a statement on legality which presumably (but not clearly) refers to how the substance is administered (intravenously, by intramuscular means, or orally).

TB-4 is not included as a specifically-named substance – in the same way as, say, growth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) and fibroblast growth factors (FGFs) – but would fall under the “catch-all” clause in the list that states:

as well as any other growth factor affecting muscle, tendon or ligament protein synthesis/degradation, vascularisation, energy utilisation, regenerative capacity or fibre type switching and other substances with similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s) …

I have written previously on the issue of inadvertent doping and how many athletes often have very little knowledge of the legality of substances that they are using.

None of which is surprising, given the complexity of the guidelines.

Under the current World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Code, a substance or method is prohibited and considered doping if WADA determines it meets any two of the following three criteria:

1 Medical or other scientific evidence, pharmacological effect, or experience that the use of the substance or method represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete.
2 Medical or other scientific evidence, pharmacological effect, or experience that the substance or method has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance.
3 Determination by WADA that the use of the substance or method violates the spirit of sport.

So, to determine if TB-4 should fall under the list of prohibited substances, it can be evaluated here based on the following criteria: health, performance-enhancing and spirit of sport.

Health

Based on US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommendations and various guidance documents developed by the International Conference of Harmonisation, 23 nonclinical studies have been performed to date that demonstrate the safety of TB-4 for its current and planned uses in humans.

In addition, in the Phase 1 clinical trial in healthy volunteers using a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled single- and multiple-dose Phase 1 clinical trial, the safety and pharmacokinetics of the intravenous administration of TB-4 was evaluated. From this, intravenous administration of TB-4 appears to be safe and well-tolerated by all subjects with no dose limiting toxicity or serious adverse events reported.

Performance-enhancing

To date, TB-4 has not been evaluated in a sports-performance context. But this is not unusual since substances are often evaluated for clinical use and not for sports performance-enhancement per se.

Recombinant EPO has allegedly been used in cycling for a long time, and only recently have there been more studies conducted on its sports performance-enhancing effects.

Even with some studies available in the sports context, most are still conducted on healthy, trained individuals and not on athletes, because of the ethical/legality issue of strict liability imposed on all athletes.

So any inference would have to be viewed from the perspective of how TB-4 affects clinical patients and how this can be extrapolated into the sports context.

TB-4 has so far shown promise in healing in patients with pressure ulcers and venous ulcers. It has also shown promise in patients with corneal wounds and heart attacks.

At this time, the use of TB-4 is definitely at the forefront of clinical medicine and touted for use in treating injurious diseases and conditions in humans, involving, among other things, those of the skin, eye, heart and brain/spinal cord.

Clinical trials have established TB-4’s safety in humans but its use as a sports performance-enhancer in healthy (and injured) athletes is uncharted territory. Based on its biological function, it would certainly have the potential.

Spirit of sport

“Spirit of sport” is the most nebulous concept within the WADA Code and many academics disagree with its use in practice. Certainly there is a perceived inconsistency in its current application towards various substances and methods.

One potential precedent that can be used to judge TB-4 by this spirit of sport criterion is PRP (platelet rich plasma), which involves the injection of the patient’s own platelets into areas of injury to assist in recovery.

This technique is currently not banned by WADA and this has been specifically addressed by the International Olympic Committee.

Given TB-4 is a component found in human platelets, it is conceivable that part of the healing process of PRP may be attributed to TB-4.

So based on the current WADA criteria, TB-4:

1 does not – currently – seem to have any major health effects to prevent its use in clinical trials
2 may have potential to be performance-enhancing but only through its healing/recovery properties
3 needs to be assessed – with regards to the spirit of sport – in relation to other similar substances, such as the current acceptance of PRP.

Again, one must consider the issue of inadvertent doping, and what athletes actually know, given many athletes may have had only a 15 minute Powerpoint presentation on the topic before signing a declaration saying they have been trained on anti-doping rules.

Also, could the the NRL use a similar “get-out clause” as is reported for the AFL clubs in this instance?

The clause may allow the players to escape punishment under “exceptional circumstances” if it can be proved they were given performance-enhancing drugs against their consent.

How ASADA interprets the specific “exceptional circumstances” examples given in WADA’s code in Article 10.5.1 remains to be seen.

Garbler

Juniors
As for this "Hibbert thinks it's time ASADA got on the front foot and came out with a list of supplements and drugs that players can take without punishment."

Really?? That list would be out of date within seconds of it being created? What would be the point? Other than allowing cheats to get off by claiming what they took wasn't on the list.

I think your confusing the difficulty of maintaining a blacklist with a whitelist. A whitelist would be pretty straight forward - but then that would mean they would have to take some responsibility and help out instead of standing behind government incompetence and firing random potshots at people trying to make a living.

And its taken 4 months for them to announce that ASADA has approved everyone of there treatments? Why not state this openly on the first day? Seems bullshit to me.

Big call & claiming bullshit on timing alone probably says more about your defensiveness than the validity of the claims.

Canard

Immortal
I think your confusing the difficulty of maintaining a blacklist with a whitelist. A whitelist would be pretty straight forward - but then that would mean they would have to take some responsibility and help out instead of standing behind government incompetence and firing random potshots at people trying to make a living.

Big call & claiming bullshit on timing alone probably says more about your defensiveness than the validity of the claims.

Just calling it as I read it, Im not taking Weilder a trusted source and taking all his articles as fact with no scrutiny.

Garbler

Juniors
Is ASADA's entire investigation based solely on links to Dank?

If so, why isn't he investigated instead of the players. If theres no wrong doing on his part, then theres no need to be investigating players.

Great question.

I suspect they can't get to Dank directly; but players might be able to offer something on him.

Either way they are potentially ruining the careers of players, pushing clubs (Cronulla) to financial brink & disrupting the business of sport to justify their "blackest day in sport" claim.

Hope it's worth it. But my suspicion is, like most government activity, it won't be.

Kirky

Juniors
Weilder open advocating for these guys makes them seem more guilty not less. Its sickening the bullshit he is writing in these pieces.

"I don't even have a boot, I own a station wagon" IT'S A METAPHOR YOU f**kTARD!!

I think you misread the quote. He' calling for a list of suppliments that athletes CAN take, not a list of substances that they CAN'T take. i.e, players can ONLY take substances listed on the 'approved' list. That way if a new experimental substance comes out, athletes can't legally take it until it has been approved by ASADA/WADA. Under the current system, if a new drug comes out, it obviously won't be on the banned list as it's new. It doesn't mean that it won't one day be on the banned list once enforcement agencies discover it, thus putting any athlete that takes it in breach. This would also eliminate the excuse of "well it wasn't on the banned list, so I thought it was fine." If the substance isn't on the approved list yet, it can't be taken. Simple. Having an approved list rather than a banned list is a far superior way of managing things, and I hope it's given serious considration, if not by ASADA, then by the NRL.

Canard

Immortal
I get what your saying, and it makes sense.

I have to ask however, after some 30+ years of doping being an issue in sports, why has this system not been implemented or even proposed?

Kirky

Juniors
I get what your saying, and it makes sense.

I have to ask however, after some 30+ years of doping being an issue in sports, why has this system not been implemented or even proposed?

That's a very good question. My guess is that it could easily be argued such a list would stifle sports science innovation among clubs. I.E "why should we put club resources into improving our sports science if any substance/delivery system we pioneer will have to be cleared by ASADA first and then made aware to other clubs?"

I personally think any reduction in the advancement of sport science is far outweighed by the better prevention of both intentional and accidental cheating.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe it would be classed as a restraint of trade by companies producing these products ie ASADA favouring one product over another and restricting the market opportunities for companies with new products. I think the best way os for the NRl to establish an agreed and accpeted suppliment programme that all clubs and players abide by. Hell they could get it sponsored and offer it for free. I see it a bit like Formula one teams having to use certain tyres or engine parts. At least everyone would be clear on what is and isn't acceptable and the snake oil interventions would no longer be guinea pigged on players to see if it improved them. Legal or not hearing that players are being injected with calf blood, warfarin, equine muscle growth and other sht is hardly a great image for the game.

Canard

Immortal
So the other codes CEO announced today that things would get ugly for Essendon in the next few weeks.

Firstly this seems a big turnaround from only a week ago, for which I credit Dave Smith.

Secondly you have to think stuff is going to happen in our code also in this timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts