What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Metallica are f*cking awesome

adamkungl

Immortal
If it wasn't Metallica, someone else would have spoken out anyway. I don't get the sense of entitlement people have with music - why do you think it is somehow your right to get free music, with no protest from artists?

mrpwnd

Bench
If it wasn't Metallica, someone else would have spoken out anyway. I don't get the sense of entitlement people have with music - why do you think it is somehow your right to get free music, with no protest from artists?
It's not really about getting entitlement, it's more that they entered the heavy metal scene knowing that the financial benefits wouldn't be that great.
But they had the passion to not care and just played whatever they wanted back then.

Soon as the $$ and mainstream success comes in, then comes the extra coin-grabbing.

I don't really care if a pop star or a hip hop star who performs solely for the money makes the protest, but there are musical scenes where money isn't a priority. Heavy metal was basically the underground scene back then, now thanks to metallica it's now in same mould as all the other materialistic genres.

There are great, growing bands like suicide silence, protest the hero etc who have stated they don't really care if people dl their albums or not. It puts into perspective who the money pinchers are.

Hey, maybe i'm just naive, or maybe i'm just a tightass who can't squat out $16 for an album, but there are peeps way more talented than metallica who pay to perform etc, I hear little to no complaints from them.

natheel

Coach
Those bands u said r just starting to come through and have no reason to care ATM once they start touring and making more albums they will start caring it's just how artists are and all for the right reasons. If I was an artist who spent months in a studio and months away from home I'd want some sort of recognition from fans to buy the CDs we make instead of ripping it straight from the net.

All power to the artists who hit to some mainstream success and want their 2c worth i say! If they're good enough to break through to mainstream success I rekon they have some right to have a say and care about their music being ripped off. Protest and suicide silence r nowhere near mainstream success yet and so r alot of the Bands coming through along with them.

84 Baby

Referee
Hey, maybe i'm just naive, or maybe i'm just a tightass who can't squat out $16 for an album, but there are peeps way more talented than metallica who pay to perform etc, I hear little to no complaints from them.
Give it a decade of earning diddly and then you'll see who the money pinchers are. I know what I'd be doing if I was earning a bottle of red label per gig while people like Sonic Youth were earning millions

mrpwnd

Bench
Those bands u said r just starting to come through and have no reason to care ATM once they start touring and making more albums they will start caring it's just how artists are and all for the right reasons. If I was an artist who spent months in a studio and months away from home I'd want some sort of recognition from fans to buy the CDs we make instead of ripping it straight from the net.

All power to the artists who hit to some mainstream success and want their 2c worth i say! If they're good enough to break through to mainstream success I rekon they have some right to have a say and care about their music being ripped off. Protest and suicide silence r nowhere near mainstream success yet and so r alot of the Bands coming through along with them.
Well, just to put it into a bit of perspective IMO I don't see why you'd have more say in being ripped off some when you've hit mainstream success. Bands like Metallica are going to make a sh*t ton regardless of who dls their albums or not, whereas with the newer bands the impact is more significant, I just personally think that Metallica(or Lars more like) were really showing off their greedy colours by protesting against music dl at a time when it was less of an issue than it is now.

natheel

Coach
Well, just to put it into a bit of perspective IMO I don't see why you'd have more say in being ripped off some when you've hit mainstream success. Bands like Metallica are going to make a sh*t ton regardless of who dls their albums or not, whereas with the newer bands the impact is more significant, I just personally think that Metallica(or Lars more like) were really showing off their greedy colours by protesting against music dl at a time when it was less of an issue than it is now.

So metallica don't deserve the rights and money from cd sales just coz they're mainstream success? That's crap and I'm sure the smaller bands do give a sh*t they just don't say anything coz it is so widespread with downloading now where it wasn't before when metallica spoke out

mrpwnd

Bench
So metallica don't deserve the rights and money from cd sales just coz they're mainstream success? That's crap and I'm sure the smaller bands do give a sh*t they just don't say anything coz it is so widespread with downloading now where it wasn't before when metallica spoke out
That's not my point.
I'm saying that the other small time bands probably have a bigger claim to it as it's taking up a bigger percentage of their sales as opposed to metallica.

Lars wasn't really 'wrong' in protesting against music downloads, but it certainly didn't detract from him being a wanker and a money grabber in general, which IMO goes against the principle philosophy of metal in general.

Haynzy

First Grade
It's not really about getting entitlement, it's more that they entered the heavy metal scene knowing that the financial benefits wouldn't be that great.
But they had the passion to not care and just played whatever they wanted back then.

Soon as the $$ and mainstream success comes in, then comes the extra coin-grabbing.

I don't really care if a pop star or a hip hop star who performs solely for the money makes the protest, but there are musical scenes where money isn't a priority. Heavy metal was basically the underground scene back then, now thanks to metallica it's now in same mould as all the other materialistic genres.

There are great, growing bands like suicide silence, protest the hero etc who have stated they don't really care if people dl their albums or not. It puts into perspective who the money pinchers are.

There are plenty of bands protesting, it's just that Lars et al are very well known so their voices are heard by more people and ,being the tosser that he is, more loudly than some others.

Next time your car needs a tune up just ask him if he can do it for nothing because you know how much he loves working on cars.

Downloading music without the artist's permission is stealing no matter how you look at it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
IMO there are some cracking Aussie bands:

The Butterfly Effect
Alchemist
The Berzerker
Ne Obliviscaris
Devolve
Eyefear
Black Like Vengeance

Mostly metal bands, but still. Australia has talent, mayne.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
IMO there are some cracking Aussie bands:

The Butterfly Effect
Alchemist
The Berzerker
Ne Obliviscaris
Devolve
Eyefear
Black Like Vengeance

Mostly metal bands, but still. Australia has talent, mayne.

Parkway Drive