What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: the game day cook off thread

Quigs

Immortal
Moi .... it's fharkcan footy season - youse have your head too far up Manu Feildel arse. Nek minute youse will be bunging on a bloody Frog accent.

It's bloody footy time ... moi ... I settled in for a couple of Mother McGreggor Pies, purchased on special for $3.98 for four from IGA. I even went top shelf, had two Beef, cheese and bacon ones. Although the cheese was a bit yankee cheese spreadish.

Fharcannn Ducks breast, no wonder the games gone soft. Go up to the chew and spew vans on the Hill and ask the poor vendor, "Hey mate, have you got any Ducks Breast or what about a couple of Manning River Crabs...."

They'd tell you to f**k off and rightly so.

Fair bloody dinkum.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Moi .... it's fharkcan footy season - youse have your head too far up Manu Feildel arse. Nek minute youse will be bunging on a bloody Frog accent.

It's bloody footy time ... moi ... I settled in for a couple of Mother McGreggor Pies, purchased on special for $3.98 for four from IGA. I even went top shelf, had two Beef, cheese and bacon ones. Although the cheese was a bit yankee cheese spreadish.

Fharcannn Ducks breast, no wonder the games gone soft. Go up to the chew and spew vans on the Hill and ask the poor vendor, "Hey mate, have you got any Ducks Breast or what about a couple of Manning River Crabs...."

They'd tell you to f**k off and rightly so.

Fair bloody dinkum.

Actually Quiggles I have an application in with the Sharks to get me very own food van on chew and spew hill.

Gonna have Duck Dogs, Duck Burgers, Duck Pies, Duck Sangers, hot chips with Duck Salt and the like.

Gonna call it Jemima’s Breast Emporium

See ya there

After Frenzys exotica today I'll be the first to bring the level back down.
After a few beers I decided on a special but simple steak and salad. Sounds boring, but it's how you make, and cook, both.
I may have to withdraw myself from competition on how to cook a steak because I was taught from a real professional.
10 years ago I was the foreman on Neil Perry's Rockpool Bar and Grill, and Spice Temple, on Hunter St. I would arrive at 5.30am and leave at 9.00pm, so would Neil, we became mates. One day I asked him how do I cook a great steak every time. He showed me. I've used his method ever since and it wins every single time. if you struggle with doing a great steak let me know and I'll post his method. The main secret is to buy bloody good meat!
I make my own salad of mixed leaves, red onion, spring onion, fetta, olives, red capsicum and avocado. I do my own dressing, virgin olive Oil, mixed herbs, salt, pepper and Herbemare. Always works.
As usual I use the meat juice with salt, pepper and herbs for my gravy.
Mixing the left over salad juices with the steak at the end is absolute pleasure.

steak1.jpg
steak 3.jpg

coolumsharkie

Referee
After Frenzys exotica today I'll be the first to bring the level back down.
After a few beers I decided on a special but simple steak and salad. Sounds boring, but it's how you make, and cook, both.
I may have to withdraw myself from competition on how to cook a steak because I was taught from a real professional.
10 years ago I was the foreman on Neil Perry's Rockpool Bar and Grill, and Spice Temple, on Hunter St. I would arrive at 5.30am and leave at 9.00pm, so would Neil, we became mates. One day I asked him how do I cook a great steak every time. He showed me. I've used his method ever since and it wins every single time. if you struggle with doing a great steak let me know and I'll post his method. The main secret is to buy bloody good meat!
I make my own salad of mixed leaves, red onion, spring onion, fetta, olives, red capsicum and avocado. I do my own dressing, virgin olive Oil, mixed herbs, salt, pepper and Herbemare. Always works.
As usual I use the meat juice with salt, pepper and herbs for my gravy.
Mixing the left over salad juices with the steak at the end is absolute pleasure.

View attachment 30400
View attachment 30401

Yeah if you have time that would be great ol' mate.. Also mixed herbs, is that the dry stuff that comes in the little Masterfoods jar?

Had to google Herbemare, never used it.

carcharias

Immortal
Yeah if you have time that would be great ol' mate.. Also mixed herbs, is that the dry stuff that comes in the little Masterfoods jar?

I followed Marco Pierre whites recipe for cooking a steak on the BBQ
Step 1) buy a steak that costs about $60 a kilo
Step 2) get some apprentice to clean the professional, top of the line grill to within an inch of its life
Step 3) drizzle some of the finest truffle oil from France- only available from the source in a secret location and sold to famous French chefs.
Step 4) 3 minutes one side -2 the other side
Step 5) turn off heat - add pepper and squeeze free range lemon juice
Step 6) rest for 15 minutes.

Now obviously I couldn’t get my hands on some of those items needed.
I improvised with woolies brand olive oil and an Aldi scotch fillet .
I also just used the bbq in the backyard.

I can say that what I did end up with was a raw cold lemony piece of meat.

Now I just stick to my old method.

Quigs

Immortal
I followed Marco Pierre whites recipe for cooking a steak on the BBQ
Step 1) buy a steak that costs about $60 a kilo
Step 2) get some apprentice to clean the professional, top of the line grill to within an inch of its life
Step 3) drizzle some of the finest truffle oil from France- only available from the source in a secret location and sold to famous French chefs.
Step 4) 3 minutes one side -2 the other side
Step 5) turn off heat - add pepper and squeeze free range lemon juice
Step 6) rest for 15 minutes.

Now obviously I couldn’t get my hands on some of those items needed.
I improvised with woolies brand olive oil and an Aldi scotch fillet .
I also just used the bbq in the backyard.

I can say that what I did end up with was a raw cold lemony piece of meat.

Now I just stick to my old method.

Was you a forward by any chance?
Because I'm really starting to like you.

By the way we are getting an Aldi in Rockhampton soon. I will remember the Scotch Fillets on Pension Day.

carcharias

Immortal
Was you a forward by any chance?
Because I'm really starting to like you.

By the way we are getting an Aldi in Rockhampton soon. I will remember the Scotch Fillets on Pension Day.

The Aldi steak is actually pretty good.

I went to get some the other day and came home with a chainsaw and a violin too

carcharias

Immortal
I've heard that type of shit happens often when a bloke goes to aldi. It's a bit like the Supermarket ala Bunnings for men.

You’d be screwed
Take a trailer.

Things I bought that I actually use are
Coffee machine
Camping stretcher x 3
Led camping lights
Airbeds x 2

Quigs

Immortal
My missus had to go down Brissie way not that long ago and she stopped off at Aldi near her old dads place. So she brings back a catalogue for me to check out.

Bugger me they even had artiste paints for sale. Cheap as. Do they give 'Seniors' Discounts too?

Yeah mate, thats the mixed herbs i use. Herbemare is awesome. When I make the dressing I never put it on the salad until its on my plate, never through the salad bowl. That way it stays fresh for more the next day.

With the steak, number 1 rule is to buy something half decent. If I buy it from a good butcher I'll get a grass fed piece. If I'm buying from the supermarket I'll get that or an organic piece. They just taste better.
Dont cook the steak straight from the fridge. All steak and seafood I leave out for 20-30mins to get closer to room temp.
I usually cook mine in a pan on the stove but you can transfer it to the bbq if you wish, same principles.
On a plate season up both sides of the steak with virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
Heat the pan to the most extreme, if it takes 10 mins to get there then wait.
Put your oven on to 100C
When the pan is boiling hot slap the steak on.
I like medium rare so I cook each side 3 mins each only. Pending on how much you like it cooked, go more or less from that.
When you pull the steak from the pan put a little more of the oil on both sides then put it in the warmed up oven for 6-10 mins, most say 10 but its personal taste there.
If youre using a bbq do the main plate at its hottest and if you have a warm part to keep the steak put it there for the 10 min after cook, or use your oven
I like the pan as then I use the meat juice with water and again salt, pepper, herbs and Herbemare for my gravy.
Voila!!

carcharias

Immortal
Pierre reckons pepper burns and tastes shit on the BBQ and to wait until the end.
I can’t tell the difference.

Oliver did a good steak rub

Fresh rosemary and rock salt
Mortar and pestle it

It is pretty good.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Pierre reckons pepper burns and tastes shit on the BBQ and to wait until the end.
I can’t tell the difference.

Oliver did a good steak rub

Fresh rosemary and rock salt
Mortar and pestle it

It is pretty good.

Ever had the cattleman’s cutler from Shane’s butcher opposite Woolies?

Pricey but it’s the Kuta