What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our home crowds.

txta2

Bench
Yeah, but massive issues if the team starts going shit.
I think the club has shot itself in the foot so many times that fans are fed up and wont rush back to watch them.
People are saying with players like Dugan and Fifita in the team the sponsors wont be flooding in.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yeah, but massive issues if the team starts going shit.
I think the club has shot itself in the foot so many times that fans are fed up and wont rush back to watch them.
People are saying with players like Dugan and Fifita in the team the sponsors wont be flooding in.
In saying people....do you mean beetroot head?....cause he's just a bitter kaarrnnt who talks out his arse.

I, like others, misunderstood the "break even" part. It's for the running of the football team over the season not the actual game day, isn't it?
More sponsorship dollars and this isn't an issue .
In saying that, having more season ticket holders is a MUST in this day and age. Make it so it's a privilege to go to our games.

taipan

Referee
With respect i think a few of you are jumping at shadows. We are for the first time in our chequered history solvent and safe. We are debt free and have 28 million set aside to significantly improve our facilities. On top of that we have the 18 million safety net that must of course be invested and used wisely. The other thing in all clubs favour is the fact that with the clubs being granted almost 3 million in excess of the salary cap each year. Sure we faarrkked it up this last year but hopefully we're learning. The optimistic expectation is that the revamped leagues club with massive outdoor balconies with city views etc will finally be able to compete with the newer and popular venues around the shire for the first time. Be patient and in the meantime enjoy a side starting to actually play some footy with potentially one of the best batches of kids that we've had in our existence.

Agree. But!!!
Only thing I question re above, we get $39.2m of which:-
$9m to clear up all debt expected til end 2019
$18m in an escrow a/c at Bank Gnome de Zurich
$12.2m for a refurbished Leagues club.

What you are suggesting( unless I'm missing the point or I've stuffed up my maths), we have $28m plus $18m(safety net).

I agree on the other point, shrewd expenditure ,a new Leagues club with an increase in patronage ,casts a far more optimistic view.

The new Leagues club is expected to start in 2021,iMO the $18m in the septic tank is buying us extra time also til that comes into full operation, and I can see it with new decent restaurants being a boon for the club.Trying to get parking to Cronulla on a weekend night for dinner,is like waiting for a cab in the Ginza.

One more time til I bag me head senseless, we need to extend the ET stand to the goal line under cover.People will be more prepared to spend for a s Season ticket and take their current squeeze and ankle biters.Probably can't be started til the new Leagues club starts rolling in the extra revenue and hopefully profits.

We need a lazy $15m Sco Mo to assist.

By this summation I would think it is potentially worse.

14,843 members as of now according to LU membership tracker.

No way much more than half of them go to games. Some won’t be ticket members, how ever many country and interstate members

So I reckon you need another ~ 7000 per game to break even.

there were metrics done in 2017 and basically 50% of our members aren't shire people

so...if we have 15k members 7.5 k from the shire which is rubbish really.

we should move 2 games at a minimum to an advantageous situation. Perth, Adelaide etc

you also have to consider that we use the thing 12 times a year.
the business should be 12 months a year. we should be using the place for a fee in the offseason. not in fits and starts but regularly.

As to the accrual ground..its in the bottom 4 venues in the league.
we have to find 16 million to unlock the govts 16 million for centre of excellence.

I ask ,...what for. to bring shark park up to the standard I believe the league will eventually require you will need to spend many, many millions more

adamkungl

Immortal
Outsiders view - FWIW my motive isnt to pick on any one club, but try to see how each club can improve their future picture.

3 clubs that are "stuck" in suburban stadiums, mostly due to distance, partially due to stubbornness - Sharks, Manly, Penrith. Hard to see any of these clubs moving full-time to the 'big 3' central stadiums, it's too far, it wouldn't work long term.

BUT. They need to get themselves a guaranteed big gate or two above what their 20k local can hold. Look at Easter Monday, Anzac Day, Good Friday etc games. Big stadiums, almost certain gate above 30k. That's 10-15k non-members buying tickets at $30, a pretty decent windfall for the club, plus the stadium owner might chip in to get them there.

Sharks should look at the June long weekend and/or the Easter Friday or Monday at the new SFS.
Roosters have had good success taking games to Adelaide, decent crowds v Storm and Adelaide tourism pays us to go. There could be growth here with another club getting on board.

Still 10 games at Shark Park and an extra half a mil a year or so directly into the coffers + added sponsorship opportunities..

Imo clubs like Parra, Bulldogs, Tigers, Souths will be pulling 25k+ crowd averages in the next 10 years. Even Roosters should have a healthy boost. The proud suburban clubs need to make positive moves now to ensure they aren't left behind.

There’s one big problem of selling the land that the stadium is on and playing ALL of our games at the Allianz stadium.

Once you start playing all your games there you are admitting to the NRL you are not viable staying and playing in Cronulla.

You then become a team that is more easily shifted because you’re not based in a unique area.

I have often thought it would make more financial sense to play out of Allianz for games against the Dragons, Roosters & Souths because we do normally attract great crowds there especially for fans not based in Cronulla.

But the other big factor is that you would attract way more away fans too to that Stadium.

The other game I would take away is the Warriors to N.Z if there was a great financial deal for the Sharks.

That would leave the local area with 8 home games. Maybe that doesn’t sit well with some here, but I’m sorry how much more money does the Club flush down the toilet whilst waiting patiently for supporters to turn up to games when we have been a top 4 side the past few years.

I’m shocked the Club hasn’t tried anything mentioned above in the past two years rather than to bleed to death on the operating table year after year. $3million dollar losses each year are just that.

We should do the following

9 games at shark park
2 games in Perth
1 game vs Sydney club at SFS on a long weekend

Then, the years when we don't get the home game for the SFS, we need ti line yup our magic weekend home games for these years

agreed re supporters. won 64% of our games since the end of 2014. crowds have been not that good the last 2 years AFTER winning it.

sharkman73

Juniors
Interesting reading.

For me, if people aren't going to turn up, and our fans don't, then there is no reason not to move at least two games per season for financial benefit.

15k is a very good crowd for a Saturday afternoon game against the Gold Coast. But let's be honest, what would it have been if not for the dance spectacular?

Last year's crowd figures are embarrassing reading, only on two occasions did we exceed 14k. That's shithouse.

Not nice to think about but i think we're in a world of pain with homes games.

It's a real dilemna imo. Do we spend money on the ground to improve it in the hope of attracting more fans? I fear it would make little difference and would be flushing money down the toilet.

M2D2

Bench
2217124_1_S.jpg

The club is f**king up and tried to play it off that its the fans fault and youre all buying it.
Well done.

King Ben

Juniors
Geez I hope the admin aren't reading this thread, you'd think we were happy to see the club relocate. 10 years ago a board were sent running up Captain Cook Drive for suggesting we send games to the Central Coast!

If we didn't treat our previous or soon-to-be previous sponsors like crap - Southern Cross Group, X Blades, Opal Solar etc. etc. - maybe we wouldn't have this "break even" of 16k people.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Agree. But!!!
Only thing I question re above, we get $39.2m of which:-
$9m to clear up all debt expected til end 2019
$18m in an escrow a/c at Bank Gnome de Zurich
$12.2m for a refurbished Leagues club.

What you are suggesting( unless I'm missing the point or I've stuffed up my maths), we have $28m plus $18m(safety net).

I agree on the other point, shrewd expenditure ,a new Leagues club with an increase in patronage ,casts a far more optimistic view.

The new Leagues club is expected to start in 2021,iMO the $18m in the septic tank is buying us extra time also til that comes into full operation, and I can see it with new decent restaurants being a boon for the club.Trying to get parking to Cronulla on a weekend night for dinner,is like waiting for a cab in the Ginza.

One more time til I bag me head senseless, we need to extend the ET stand to the goal line under cover.People will be more prepared to spend for a s Season ticket and take their current squeeze and ankle biters.Probably can't be started til the new Leagues club starts rolling in the extra revenue and hopefully profits.

We need a lazy $15m Sco Mo to assist.
Yeah mate...should have made it clearer. My 28 million includes the 16 mill in grants by both the State and Federal governments towards the centre of excellence etc. My understanding is that the club were attempting to include some extra seating in conjunction with the centre of excellence (between the E.T and Monty Porter stands) but I'm not sure how far they got.

sharkman73

Juniors
The 16000 "break even" figure has to be to cover all football operations right? It can't seriously be a straight up game day cost of $400k + just to open the gates?

I think so.

I remember reading a couple of years ago that ~13,500 was break even for game day-related costs.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Interesting reading.

For me, if people aren't going to turn up, and our fans don't, then there is no reason not to move at least two games per season for financial benefit.

15k is a very good crowd for a Saturday afternoon game against the Gold Coast. But let's be honest, what would it have been if not for the dance spectacular?

Last year's crowd figures are embarrassing reading, only on two occasions did we exceed 14k. That's shithouse.

Not nice to think about but i think we're in a world of pain with homes games.

It's a real dilemna imo. Do we spend money on the ground to improve it in the hope of attracting more fans? I fear it would make little difference and would be flushing money down the toilet.
Agree regarding there not being any guarantee regarding increased patronage even if we spent money upgrading the ground. I would prefer they put the coin into the leagues club as the usage of those facilities is 365 not 10-12 days a year. The other thing that comes to mind is that the season ticket holders (currently the bread and butter of the club) should be consulted on whether the relocation of 2 or 3 games would effect their overall attendance or even the unlikely scenario that they may not renew their memberships. Can or should we charge the current 12 game rate if we are reduced to 9 or 10 games at Shark park.

sharkman73

Juniors
Agree regarding there not being any guarantee regarding increased patronage even if we spent money upgrading the ground. I would prefer they put the coin into the leagues club as the usage of those facilities is 365 not 10-12 days a year. The other thing that comes to mind is that the season ticket holders (currently the bread and butter of the club) should be consulted on whether the relocation of 2 or 3 games would effect their overall attendance or even the likelihood that they may not renew their memberships. Can or should we charge the current 12 game rate if we are reduced to 9 or 10 games at Shark park.

Nah you would 100% have to reduce the cost.

Pretty sure we did that a few years back when we took a home game to Gosford.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Nah you would 100% have to reduce the cost.

Pretty sure we did that a few years back when we took a home game to Gosford.
Yeah remember that...so all these things would have to be taken into consideration i guess. Also the lost patronage at the club on those relocated game days would have to be taken into account.

Latest posts