What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our injuries

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can this be avoided though ? I don't think so. Put it this way there is definitely no proof that our medical staff are causing injuries or creating longer recovery times.

No one is suggesting the medical staff are creating the injuries or making the recovery time longer.

Just that perhaps the methods and practices we have in place may not be at a standard that helps prevent some injuries and to ensure that recovery times meet expectations, instead of exceeding them.

It's not just the medical staff.

It could be training regimes and techniques (ie - lopsided schedules that tire some muscles more than others, making them more susceptible to injury) among many other things.

It can be a major factor and I don't think it is one that can be dismissed so swiftly.

I don't personally think they are entirely to blame, but I think it's very plausible that our practices should be regularly reviewed and improved wherever possible and I'm not sure if we do that sort of thing all that often

Tiger05

First Grade
I think it's very plausible that our practices should be regularly reviewed and improved wherever possible and I'm not sure if we do that sort of thing all that often

This is fair enough within reason. It has to put though in its proper context so asking some sane questions prior to jumping on the crazy wagon is probably the better approach.

1. Is rugby league a sport where significant injuries will occur ?
2. Do we have a professional coaching and support staff ?

The answer to both questions I think has to be yes. You only have to look at the regular update on injuries that the club provides to realize that the players do receive professional care.

To me this is yet another topic where common sense should be utilized however some people want there to be a conspiracy theory.

gronkathon

First Grade
The points I would raise on this issue MU are

The club does not employ a full time masseuse. There is not a qualified masseuse there every day. That is huge.

The facilities are too small to house three rugby league squads. The shower, ice bath and gym areas are of inadequate size. Sanitation is a huge issue. it is why we had the staph issue at the start of the season.

We do however have a hyperbaric chamber that we own, utterly outdated and not used by anyone anymore but hey we have it.

In terms of sports science we are drastically behind the times. Luck plays an issue with contact injuries and to some extent soft tissue injuries but management is a huge part. Use the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles as an example. Non contact injuries throughout the season were reduced by more than 70% over previous seasons with a new coach and a new approach to sports science. Nothing in any way illegal under WADA code either.

It all starts at the board level, with money and filters down.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm certainly not arguing with you gronk as I think that we are a long way behind where we need to be (ie, up there with other teams) in regards to medical/training/recovery/rehabilitation.

I don't think it's an issue than be so quickly discarded as Tiger05 is implying.

Yes injuries will occur in a body contact sport. That isn't being debated.

It's the management of the injuries that is being discussed, and there are many facets involved in this process.

Being dismissive and saying "It's a contact sport, injuries will happen" in my view while correct at a basic level, is also a bit ignorant of the whole process.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is fair enough within reason. It has to put though in its proper context so asking some sane questions prior to jumping on the crazy wagon is probably the better approach.

1. Is rugby league a sport where significant injuries will occur ?
2. Do we have a professional coaching and support staff ?

The answer to both questions I think has to be yes. You only have to look at the regular update on injuries that the club provides to realize that the players do receive professional care.

To me this is yet another topic where common sense should be utilized however some people want there to be a conspiracy theory.
we know the answer to 1 is yes.

the answer to number 2, as evidenced by your comments, we don't know.

And thus, it is fair and just to question the process.

Tiger05

First Grade
The club does not employ a full time masseuse. There is not a qualified masseuse there every day. That is huge.

Yet again we see the same stupid shit coming from you. A qualified masseuse will not help injuries that keep players out of games. It might (and this is a might) help players with soft tissue problems but these things do not require a massage every freaken day.

Sanitation is a huge issue. it is why we had the staph issue at the start of the season.

Bullshit. You have no idea why this occurred and even if sanitation is an issue.

Luck plays an issue with contact injuries and to some extent soft tissue injuries but management is a huge part. Use the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles as an example. Non contact injuries throughout the season were reduced by more than 70% over previous seasons with a new coach and a new approach to sports science.

More dumb comments. One season is not anything to base your conclusion on. I know its hard to understand this but your use of this statistic is not anything at all to draw a conclusion from.

Your idea of management is not a huge part at all. Proper care of injuries matters but if you had half a brain you would see that the players get treated by top class doctors. Your idea of management in adding a full-time masseuse and using some more disinfectant when cleaning is hilarious.

Stop talking BS.

hybrid_tiger

Coach

Why would I want there to be a conspiracy theory? There is no consipracy theory.

Common sense says that if our facilities and staff are not what is expected of a professional sporting organisation then this could be PART of the reason as to why our injury rate over the last five years is ridiculously high compared to most other clubs.

Of course rugby league is a tough game, and of course you can't PREVENT injuries. But one has ever said this.

Tiger05

First Grade
Why would I want there to be a conspiracy theory?

You are implying though that our facilities and care are not up to standard and that is what is causing injuries.

Factually this is incorrect.

Common sense says that if our facilities and staff are not what is expected of a professional sporting organisation then this could be PART of the reason as to why our injury rate over the last five years is ridiculously high compared to most other clubs.

I don't even know if this is a factual statement. You would have to prove that this was the case and then you would have to prove that it was our facilities that were too blame.

How many times has Blair been injured here compared to playing in Melbourne ?

Of course rugby league is a tough game, and of course you can't PREVENT injuries. But one has ever said this.

You have definitely implied that our injury toll is somewhat to do with our medical staff.

I think that this is BS. Do our medical staff cause players to be injured - the answer (of course there may be a few exceptions) is no. Do our players get treated by top quality doctors - the answer is yes.

All that you have come up with is vague innuendo's. Gronkathon (the fantasy poster) came up with his usual fairy tales regarding getting more massages.

I mean its laughable.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
You are implying though that our facilities and care are not up to standard and that is what is causing injuries.

Factually this is incorrect.

Our facilities are NOT up to standard. This is a fact.

Whether our care is up to standard I do not know. I also never said that this is what is CAUSING injuries.

There is an entire section in the internal report that our CEO commissioned that deems our facilities at Concord "unprofessional".

I don't even know if this is a factual statement. You would have to prove that this was the case and then you would have to prove that it was our facilities that were too blame.

How many times has Blair been injured here compared to playing in Melbourne ?

The stats are out there - we have a higher injury toll than most other clubs over the past five years.

You have definitely implied that our injury toll is somewhat to do with our medical staff.

I think that this is BS. Do our medical staff cause players to be injured - the answer (of course there may be a few exceptions) is no. Do our players get treated by top quality doctors - the answer is yes.

All that you have come up with is vague innuendo's. Gronkathon (the fantasy poster) came up with his usual fairy tales regarding getting more massages.

I mean its laughable.

The only thing I am implying is that our facilities are substandard. This is common knowledge though.

Not once have I said our medical staff CAUSE players to be injured, only that it could be possible that our substandard strength, conditioning and recovery departments could be part of the reason.

Tiger05

First Grade
Ignore the little kid HT. It is just a troll

Do you even know what a troll is ? Seriously - a troll to me is someone that makes BS up. Thats you.

I'm just trying to discuss something logically and use facts to make a point. Sort of the opposite of what you do.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I noticed in the pics from training neither Paterson or moltzen had the yellow vests on which means they are training full contact. Hopefully Cory might be a sneaky inclusion on Monday.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I noticed in the pics from training neither Paterson or moltzen had the yellow vests on which means they are training full contact. Hopefully Cory might be a sneaky inclusion on Monday.

I hope so. He may just be that X factor we have been missing lately. I know some don't like him too much but when he is on, he can be a pretty good attacking option and his defence is no worse than any others in the team.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
So far as our injuries are concerned, I don't have any statistics to support this but the FACT is the last two years we have been crippled by injuries to the point where we can't fill positions.

What the cause is I can only guess or speculate but I don't recall all teams having similar problems; yet they are all playing the same contact sport week after week. Either we are doing something wrong or they are doing something right, either way, we are struggling more than many other teams.

Tiger05

First Grade
So far as our injuries are concerned, I don't have any statistics to support this but the FACT is the last two years we have been crippled by injuries to the point where we can't fill positions.

What the cause is I can only guess or speculate but I don't recall all teams having similar problems; yet they are all playing the same contact sport week after week. Either we are doing something wrong or they are doing something right, either way, we are struggling more than many other teams.

You should try and get the facts together and then make some rational conclusions. I don't believe that you have any facts to back up your assessment.

I said earlier use Adam Blair as an example. He has been available week in and week out. Was he never injured playing for Melbourne ? If he was it appears our medical care is better than Melbourne's.

I'm not stating its that simple however so far there hasn't been one rational argument put forward that our injuries including the recovery times are the result of poor medical care within our team.

I'd suggest its just another ill thought out opinion.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
You should try and get the facts together and then make some rational conclusions. I don't believe that you have any facts to back up your assessment.

I said earlier use Adam Blair as an example. He has been available week in and week out. Was he never injured playing for Melbourne ? If he was it appears our medical care is better than Melbourne's.

I'm not stating its that simple however so far there hasn't been one rational argument put forward that our injuries including the recovery times are the result of poor medical care within our team.

I'd suggest its just another ill thought out opinion.

At a quick look at NRL I found last year, the following stat relating to players used;

Roosters and Souths - 25
Dogs - 27
Manly and Storm - 28
Sharks and Knights - 29
Titans - 30

Wests Tigers - 34

.!

Tigers Tale

Juniors
To be fair I didn't list them all because I think you'll find we used the most. Azsportsa and Madunit are our stats people, perhaps if they list it for this year and last you will finally be convinced we are using more players than other teams....

Tiger05

First Grade
At a quick look at NRL I found last year, the following stat relating to players used;

Roosters and Souths - 25
Dogs - 27
Manly and Storm - 28
Sharks and Knights - 29
Titans - 30

Wests Tigers - 34

.!

How is that a fact regarding injuries. Freaken hell you guys have nothing.

Tiger05

First Grade
To be fair I didn't list them all because I think you'll find we used the most. Azsportsa and Madunit are our stats people, perhaps if they list it for this year and last you will finally be convinced we are using more players than other teams....

If someone shows me stats where we can do a fair comparison I'll believe it but you aren't going to find it. Its a beat up.