What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

hindy111

Post Whore
We haven't had a player play for QLD origin while at club since Daniel Wagon 2001.

Qld obviously isn't our local juniors but I do find it a concern we haven't been able to produce one QLD origin player in 21 years and counting.

Plenty of sydney teams have had numerous Qld origin players over the years.

I don't think the best club in NRL and maybe even history if look at juniors produced in the side have one either.
Whats the point?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I don't think the best club in NRL and maybe even history if look at juniors produced in the side have one either.
Whats the point?
Scott Sattler, Rhys Wesser, Ben Ross and Kurt Capewell all made there debuts for QLD while playing for Penrith since 2001.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
They spotted Dyl by accident though. Watched an interview with him on Kayo where he said the scouts came over to watch someone else in his team (didn't mention who) and he just happened to play well enough that Parra showed interest

Brisbane stumbled upon Shane Webcke when going to scout Petero Civenoceva. I'm sure it's very difficult to have tabs on every single player running around outside of your district. Probably easier now in the time of digitally sharing media.

Does it matter if they found him by accident or had pages of information on him previously? They noticed his ability, signed him, and gave him the resources to flourish.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Whats the point?

Penrith finished Premiers, and we didn't, but...

Panthers in 2022 scored 636 points, and conceded 330 +/- was 306

Eels in 2001 scored 839 points, and conceded 406, for a +/- of 433

Despite being champions, I can't call them the greatest club side ever...they weren't in the same planet as our points scored in 2001.

hindy111

Post Whore
Penrith finished Premiers, and we didn't, but...

Panthers in 2022 scored 636 points, and conceded 330 +/- was 306

Eels in 2001 scored 839 points, and conceded 406, for a +/- of 433

Despite being champions, I can't call them the greatest club side ever...they weren't in the same planet as our points scored in 2001.

Sure not the best solo side but collectively they've made 3 grand finals in a row and won 20+ games is 3 yrs straight whilst having many guys put for origin. Pretty special to think about when considering only 24 games.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We haven't had a player play for QLD origin while at club since Daniel Wagon 2001.

Qld obviously isn't our local juniors but I do find it a concern we haven't been able to produce one QLD origin player in 21 years and counting.

Plenty of sydney teams have had numerous Qld origin players over the years.

Lebron may change that

Delboy

First Grade
That’s why the review was done and needed.

There has been a fall off in activity big time in the past 5 years or so, no real recruitment in New Zealand , or it must be said in QLD and to a lesser extent in country areas.

Understand that has been a major part of the outcomes being undertaken, but it does ask the question why it took so long to be acknowledged. For instance, there has been scouting done at schoolboy carnivals etc, but having been involved in the Penrith district at the 15-18 Div 1 age group, they have nominated personnel ( at least 2 ) attend every Div 1 game, photo the team sheet and ask the Coaches and managers about the team. They report back to the head of junior recruitment and I believe the dossier grows. That is why their team has a lot of players that didn’t go to Patrician. BRos, St Doms. Etc, they were noticed in the district. When they bring players down from country for instance, they are slotted into teams and play Div 1.

Have been advised resources are being focussed much more on development with some decent funds allocated. See where it goes, but it’s reasonably encouraging from info , structural changes and appointments will continue prior to 2023.

hindy111

Post Whore
We had a nice little patch when we produced Twal,Alioi,Matterson,Mahoney,D.Brown,Kafusi,Stefano, Keppie. It was a strong little period for about 3yrs and I thought we had turned corner. Even thou a lot left they still where being produced.

My train of thought was the club may of gotten sick of doing all the hard work only for a guy to be poached before NRL.
I'm unsure how it all works but the last 3yrs have been poor. In saying that when you have a strong 17 it does make it harder to have a junior take their spot. The bar is higher.

But it would be nice to unearth the next Cobbo or Cotter etc.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That’s why the review was done and needed.

There has been a fall off in activity big time in the past 5 years or so, no real recruitment in New Zealand , or it must be said in QLD and to a lesser extent in country areas.

Understand that has been a major part of the outcomes being undertaken, but it does ask the question why it took so long to be acknowledged. For instance, there has been scouting done at schoolboy carnivals etc, but having been involved in the Penrith district at the 15-18 Div 1 age group, they have nominated personnel ( at least 2 ) attend every Div 1 game, photo the team sheet and ask the Coaches and managers about the team. They report back to the head of junior recruitment and I believe the dossier grows. That is why their team has a lot of players that didn’t go to Patrician. BRos, St Doms. Etc, they were noticed in the district. When they bring players down from country for instance, they are slotted into teams and play Div 1.

Have been advised resources are being focussed much more on development with some decent funds allocated. See where it goes, but it’s reasonably encouraging from info , structural changes and appointments will continue prior to 2023.
Good to hear. The thing is, no matter how well 'managed' junior development/poaching is (as though management isn't something that costs time and money), finding the most talented youngsters and signing them to your club and then providing the development resources (facilities, staff, etc) all gets very expensive very quickly, especially when you consider you're competing with all these other clubs trying to gain the same advantages. So for clubs that haven't "acknowledged" it I don't think it's as much about as not knowing what is required but not being willing/able to pay the money needed to do it properly. Covid wasn't good for the economy in general and plenty of our sources of income would've taken a hit in recent years.

Delboy

First Grade
The big thing seems to be that they fotball club is basically self sufficient and it may well be that the Leagues club has now reverted to making decent money. Their charter is to fund the operations of the football club, so they are likely providing the funding for upscaling the pathways and development.

IFR33K

Coach
We had a nice little patch when we produced Twal,Alioi,Matterson,Mahoney,D.Brown,Kafusi,Stefano, Keppie. It was a strong little period for about 3yrs and I thought we had turned corner. Even thou a lot left they still where being produced.

My train of thought was the club may of gotten sick of doing all the hard work only for a guy to be poached before NRL.
I'm unsure how it all works but the last 3yrs have been poor. In saying that when you have a strong 17 it does make it harder to have a junior take their spot. The bar is higher.

But it would be nice to unearth the next Cobbo or Cotter etc.

The thing is we don’t really have a strong 17. We’ve got a strong starting 13, or 12 if don’t consider waqa strong. We had matto on the bench and the rest were nothing special at all.

Gronk

Staff member
Is this the first time we have appointed a female assistant coach ?

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce the Club’s junior representative coaching line-up for 2023.

Harold Matthews – U17s
Head coach – Chris Howard
Assistant coach – Steve Gadhmar
Assistant coach – Charbel Khoury

SG BALL – U19s
Head coach – Steve O’Dea
Assistant coach – Jordan Rankin
Assistant coach – Paul Coinakis

Tarsha Gale – U18s women’s
Head coach – Ryan Walker
Assistant coach – Charlotte Henry
Assistant coach – Ben James

General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said the Club looks forward to growing its junior reps program from strength to strength.

“We look forward to building on our program driving further success in the future,” he said.

“These appointments are key to the direction the club is heading as we want to provide every opportunity for our players to progress from our elite pathways into the NRL program.

“Each coach brings leadership and development qualities which will enable our talent to perform at their best.” O’Neill said

Chipmunk

Coach
Is this the first time we have appointed a female assistant coach ?

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce the Club’s junior representative coaching line-up for 2023.

Harold Matthews – U17s
Head coach – Chris Howard
Assistant coach – Steve Gadhmar
Assistant coach – Charbel Khoury

SG BALL – U19s
Head coach – Steve O’Dea
Assistant coach – Jordan Rankin
Assistant coach – Paul Coinakis

Tarsha Gale – U18s women’s
Head coach – Ryan Walker
Assistant coach – Charlotte Henry
Assistant coach – Ben James

General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said the Club looks forward to growing its junior reps program from strength to strength.

“We look forward to building on our program driving further success in the future,” he said.

“These appointments are key to the direction the club is heading as we want to provide every opportunity for our players to progress from our elite pathways into the NRL program.

“Each coach brings leadership and development qualities which will enable our talent to perform at their best.” O’Neill said

When did Jordan Rankin transition to become a female?

Latest posts