What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I get the feeling parra stadium should have been built with a larger capacity. Maybe some forward thinker could have thunk it.

Runaround Man

Juniors
Totally agree.

Parra Stadium MUST have its capacity increased significantly - 30,000 would be ideal.

If the Parra Stadium Trust don't get their collective fingers out, this will happen more and more often. How can we compete with the AFL with a ground that can only fit 20, 000.

It's laughable.

To all the whingers about the move....you are being selfish and small minded

Last edited:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Totally agree.

Parra Stadium MUST have its capacity increased significantly - 30,000 would be ideal.

If the Parra Stadium Trust don't get their collective fingers out, this will happen more and more often. How can we compete with the AFL with a ground that can only fit 20, 000.

It's laughable.

To all the whingers about the move....you are being selfish and small minded

that's it, increase the capacity and all is fixed

A couple of questions???

Q1: How much additional earn do you think we will get from moving the game?
Q2: Do you believe we lose all (100%) home ground advantage by moving the game?

The reason why I ask these questions are I don;t think anyine can make a judgement call on the move of the game unless these questions are answered first.

On Q1: If we have gotten the same deal as everyone else in the NRL for games at ANZ, which according to my sources we have, and that deal has been extended to this 3rd game, then we are looking at a turn around of $140,000. If we get profit sharing because of a big crowd, increase that. If the deal is as was alluded to an "offer we couldn't refuse" increase that again. Either way we are starting the level of a yearly Back of Shorts corporate Partner level and moving up-wards for moving one game.

On Q2: Well Terry Leabeater said last year, Home Ground advantage was statistically 3.5 points. So if we loose by 4 home ground advantage would not have saved us. But then again Apparently Home ground advantage is also a -2 points for any away team. So if we lose by less then 6, Home ground advantage was the different, apparently.

Last year we played 6 games at ANZ, with 3 Wins, a Draw and 2 losses including the Grand final.

At Parramatta Stadium we played 10 games, for 7 wins and 3 losses, including the loss against the Dragons, where, while Parramatta Stadium was close to capacity, I would venture that 75% of those in attendance wore the Red V.

strider

Post Whore
we need more than 21,000 so that in that one season every 7 yrs where we look like going alright we can fit 25,000 in :lol:

Parra

Referee
On Q2: Well Terry Leabeater said last year, Home Ground advantage was statistically 3.5 points. So if we loose by 4 home ground advantage would not have saved us. But then again Apparently Home ground advantage is also a -2 points for any away team. So if we lose by less then 6, Home ground advantage was the different, apparently.

You have made a fundamental mistake in how you've assigned the home ground advantage. But the underlying presumption is correct. And giving away a -3.5 advantage will kill a team over time.

More importantly, it shows that the number one priority is not on field performance. Sure it would be for the players & coach - but a smart guy once made a comment to the affect of "get the front office right first".

Don't get hung up on short term results or anomalies. That advantage applies to teams across the board, not just to the Eels and it is derived from thousands of matches, not just a few.

born an eel

Bench
On Q1: If we have gotten the same deal as everyone else in the NRL for games at ANZ, which according to my sources we have, and that deal has been extended to this 3rd game, then we are looking at a turn around of $140,000. If we get profit sharing because of a big crowd, increase that. If the deal is as was alluded to an "offer we couldn't refuse" increase that again. Either way we are starting the level of a yearly Back of Shorts corporate Partner level and moving up-wards for moving one game.
MITS,
Have you taken into account the compensation to Parra Stadium and other compensations that may be payable and lost trade?

It was stated earlier in the week before negotiations that something in the order of $150K was payable to the trust.
I wonder if any other sponsors are able to seek compensation, either parra stadium signage or eels ground signage?
What about lost trade at the leagues club, I wonder how much that is worth and to a smaller extent lost trade to B&G HQ.

Are the club providing buses and do the subsidise these?

fish eel

Immortal
to be fair though, and without checking what he said, I dont think Osborne has talked up the financial benefits of the switch (because for a one off match like this it looks minimal). His position has been it's for, to paraphrase, the greater good.

You have made a fundamental mistake in how you've assigned the home ground advantage. But the underlying presumption is correct. And giving away a -3.5 advantage will kill a team over time.

More importantly, it shows that the number one priority is not on field performance. Sure it would be for the players & coach - but a smart guy once made a comment to the affect of "get the front office right first".

Don't get hung up on short term results or anomalies. That advantage applies to teams across the board, not just to the Eels and it is derived from thousands of matches, not just a few.

So you got smacked down on the "White Elephant" comment so now you are trying to make it all revolve around statistics. Ok

Tell me, after Canterbury moved from Belmore to ANZ, what is there winning record there? Maybe you can also do some research and find out what the losing spread was for any game they did lose.

But Home ground advantage is about having the Majority of fans at the ground right, not just familiar surroundings, it is about how the fans get the players over the line. I would think Canterbury have been able to transport that from Belmore, and I am quite sure if they can do it, so can we, All this home ground advantage stuff is pure fluff, just like the "Old Logo" people want what is familiar, and reminds them of their "Childhood" not what is the best overall. It is sentimentality.

The Colonel

Immortal
Steady on!

If you sound remotely critical of this shift in ground, others (who have entirely different set of circumstances) will get their knickers in a knot about you holding a different opinion, and the fact you've expressed it! :lol:

I'm just amazed that at the manner of some replies here since last night, in response to two posts that acknowledged the different sides of the coin and calmly stating personal opinions on the issue... touchy much? :crazy:

Actually I'm not critical of the difference of opinion, more the taking batt and ball and heading home approach that you displayed.

Different circumstances yes but I'll still by my season ticket and not act the brat because it isn't going my way.

fish eel

Immortal
Actually I'm not critical of the difference of opinion, more the taking batt and ball and heading home approach that you displayed.

Different circumstances yes but I'll still by my season ticket and not act the brat because it isn't going my way.

Good for you.

And you'll pontificate to others while you're at it clearly.....

Peoples choices and circumstances are their own and different. If you want to put yourself on a pedastal and make judgement calls then go for your life.

spiderdan

Bench
But Home ground advantage is about having the Majority of fans at the ground right, not just familiar surroundings, it is about how the fans get the players over the line. I would think Canterbury have been able to transport that from Belmore, and I am quite sure if they can do it, so can we, All this home ground advantage stuff is pure fluff, just like the "Old Logo" people want what is familiar, and reminds them of their "Childhood" not what is the best overall. It is sentimentality.
i can tell you (without going into the whole nueral explanation) that's the smallest part of a home ground advantage. go talk to any coach from the ais and they'll tell you the familiarity with surroundings plays the biggest part in having a ground advantage.

that is probably the main reason i think playing the game at homebush is a good idea. getting the players used to playing there in front of a big crowd will do them the world of good if we happen to be there in sept/oct.

The Colonel

Immortal
Good for you.

And you'll pontificate to others while you're at it clearly.....

Peoples choices and circumstances are their own and different. If you want to put yourself on a pedastal and make judgement calls then go for your life.

Pedestal? :lol: Pontificate? :lol:

F**k that is ironic coming from you.

born an eel

Bench
that is probably the main reason i think playing the game at homebush is a good idea. getting the players used to playing there in front of a big crowd will do them the world of good if we happen to be there in sept/oct.
so now we are expecting 80K,
ANZ won't even open up the top deck, the first thing the players will see is an empty stand.

spiderdan

Bench
so now we are expecting 80K,
ANZ won't even open up the top deck, the first thing the players will see is an empty stand.
50k (anticipated) is a pretty big crowd to play in front of in the regular season. plenty of clubs would be happy with that as a finals crowd as well. mate it's just my personal opinion that we should play a few block buster games there this year before september for the reasons i've said.

i can understand though why people are pissed about it being moved. parra stadium, as a spectator viewing ground, is one of the best i have been to and from that perspective sh*ts all over homebush.

mickdo

Coach
I don't think home advantage is the issue here. We've played enough at ANZ for it to be more than familiar, and with two or three scheduled games there each year it's our second home ground if you like. The problem I have is that ANZ Stadium SUCKS to watch football.