What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

Suitman

Post Whore
i think they do, they have those tents out the front that sell all foods bizaro

i hope they come armed with mini cricket bats for the players to sign when they are fielding on the boundary, fui will be the first ine there

You're right. There's a curry tent amongst that lot.
This move just keeps getting better and better.

Suity

PJ Marshal

Coach
All ozzie needs to do is get tendulkur in an eels jersey standing on a box in church street saying come to the game at anz or ill get out for a duck against pakistan

eel4life

Juniors
Freak 2 i am selfish in what i have said, because i hate ANZ stadium especially when it is half full. i dont see the benefit for a 30K crowd better of at parra better for parra stadium and parra eels because we need to have a solid start especially at home ..

i look at it as we are giving up our advantage because next time we play the dragons what happens if it is a even bigger game for them and they need the homeground advantage you think they will give it up ... i think not ...

when there is 50K plus crowd yeah i agree totally awesome to be there especially for a club game but will they get that crowd ...

If the charity shield gets a massive crowd then yeah look at the option, but if they get a 30K crowd why move it?

i agree with you, but i am hanging to get to parra stadium especially in round 1 hasn't happened in donkeys ...

TheRam

Coach
Cause $$$ win us games?

Get over yourself Fui. The club doesn't do things like this just to piss you off. Its about doing things that will make us stronger and better as a club and sport over the long term.

The issue came to a head the last time the teams played. The Dragons and the NRL refused to shift their semi-final against the Eels from Kogarah Oval, which has a capacity of just 18,000.
who the hell wrote this gibberish? the NRL were the ones who asked the dragons to move the bloody game!

i think the season kickoff should be always be a double header at anz on saturday night that would get a huge crowd in and nine can move the friday night game for one night surely?

Last edited:

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Freak 2 i am selfish in what i have said, because i hate ANZ stadium especially when it is half full. i dont see the benefit for a 30K crowd better of at parra better for parra stadium and parra eels because we need to have a solid start especially at home ..

Here's one benefit sunshine - if the game draws 30k crowd, 10k will have to turn around and go home if the game was held at Parramatta Stadium.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Get over yourself Fui. The club doesn't do things like this just to piss you off. Its about doing things that will make us stronger and better as a club and sport over the long term.

I didn't say they did it to piss some of us off.

I'm saying it is a stupid decision.

Wasn't one of the selling points of the ticketed membership that you wouldn't miss out on the Round 1 game, which we have know since September last year, would definitely sell out.

Freak2

Juniors
For mine the positives far outweight the negatives.

I love the fact that if the shoe is ever on the other foot we have this precedent to fall back on.

EG: A sell out at Brookvale move to Homebush or Kogarah or Shark Park.

In my opinion all those clubs have so much less ground capacity and would be forced to move their games to Homebush.

If we want to be a "BIG CLUB" then we need to act like a big club and not be left behind with the other Suburban type clubs in the game.

END OF STORY!!!

PJ Marshal

Coach
well look at the afl, all the melbourne clubs basically play out of the mcg, which is hardly their spiritual home....but they get more people to their games and make more dosh to survive.

i think its a good move in that sense, but hey nothing beats a night out a parramatta stadium, mind you if our sh*t form had of continued all the way through last season we would be complaining that we wouldnt get 14 k to parra stadium

The Colonel

Immortal
For mine the positives far outweight the negatives.

I love the fact that if the shoe is ever on the other foot we have this precedent to fall back on.

EG: A sell out at Brookvale move to Homebush or Kogarah or Shark Park.

In my opinion all those clubs have so much less ground capacity and would be forced to move their games to Homebush.

If we want to be a "BIG CLUB" then we need to act like a big club and not be left behind with the other Suburban type clubs in the game.

END OF STORY!!!

That is it in a nutshell. Much prefer Parra Stadium, even though I won't make either venue until later in the year the earnings from such a move are one that will surely help long term.

parra pete

Referee
I didn't say they did it to piss some of us off.

I'm saying it is a stupid decision.

Wasn't one of the selling points of the ticketed membership that you wouldn't miss out on the Round 1 game, which we have know since September last year, would definitely sell out.

Field sizes are the same (except Olympic Park Melbourne), the Eels have a good record at ANZ, and it sure beats selling excess merchandise to prop up memberships if the Club can double its gate takings
If the Eels can't beat StGeorge at ANZ, they wouldn't have beaten them at the Stadium.
I, personally, think home ground advantage is over rated in the NRL. Bit too professional for that to come into it these days..

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Another positive - the more 'Big' games we play out of ANZ the more comfortable we'll be with the ground/atmosphere/preparation... the better we are come Semi's and GF time!! :D

Job Done.