What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

Angry_eel

First Grade
Worryingly for the NRL, the AFL is now the far more unpredictable of the two codes.

Underdogs are winning more often with the AFL favourites’ striking at 69.44 per cent, well down on 77.54 at the introduction of an 18th team in 2012.

Why is this a worry for the NRL? AFL had teams winning 3 premierships in a row, it never slowed them down.

pantherz9103

First Grade
People are talking about which is the most important to win. In a real world scenario, I would much much rather win the JJ Giltinan Sheild over the Provan-Summons Trophy, thats why Penrith Panther fans were supporting gold Coast vrs Melbourne Storm on Sunday night. We all truly value the JJ Giltinan Sheild over the Provan-Summons Trophy. 16 teams attack it on equal footing and over 25 rounds, the winner is the most deserved. Its like the Premier League in the EPL. the best team is decided over the course of the season not in some arbitrary games at the end of the season.
It proves that the team who wins the JJ Glitinan are the best prepared side throughout the off season and most successful side throughout the 6 & 1/2 month weekly slog that is the NRL premiership round competition. You managed any mini crisis’s that present such as key injuries and suspensions as well as losing personnel due to rep footy. You best kept the attitude and drive of the squad pointing in the right direction and you minimised dramas in your squad’s personal lives bleeding into their work. It is severely hard to win it and just as severely under appreciated. The prize money and standing within the game is insufficient.

In contrast, to that the end of season competition is a bit of a lottery, 8 teams get a crack at the Provan-Summons and not necessarily the best side over the 4 week period collects it. Usually, good sides are eliminated by your rivals, providing an easier path. If you make the 8, hit decent form and have some luck, you can take the trophy and at worst it’ll be a 4 game investment.

So, Penrith Panther fans would vastly prefer the JJ Giltinan.

Haha I don't know about preferring it over the Provan-Summons Trophy but whenever people tell me that we've won 'nothing' with this current team I ask them what about the JJ Giltinan Shield? My memory of 2020 is a little blurry for various reasons but I could have sworn we had a presentation ceremony and team photo with the shield after our 42-0 win over the Bulldogs in Round 20 at ANZ Stadium. That certainly looked like something we had rightfully earnt A.K.A. 'won'.

There should be more respect for that shield considering it's vast history. Do people realise that before 1982 when the 'Winfield Cup' emerged that the JJ Giltinan Shield was the main trophy that the premiers were awarded? and that the man JJ Giltinan himself founded the sport of Rugby League in Australia.. pretty significant right? JJ Giltinan

So while I want to win the 'big dance' in October, I do not consider winning the JJ Giltinan Shield a triviality like the average RL fan does.

The AFL have more upsets because they have more interstate teams. In the NRL, there is the top 5 and then everyone else, like 2 divisions. You might get minor upsets between slightly better teams in the same division but the chances of a team in the lower division defeating someone in the higher division is almost zero. Other than the Dragons beating the Eels once, I don’t recall any team outside the top 5 beating someone inside the top 5.

I think it has,and many factors have contributed:-
*Yes,some clubs are ran better than others.But other factors contribute too…

*Inconsistent refs with the rule changes making them worse. Influencing games too much, and unconsciously favouring the top team.

*The salary cap, or to be exact 3rd party deals, and other salary cap exemptions, favour some clubs over others.

The game does seem to have become more polarised this year but is this simply making it a statistical outlier or has the game itself changed ?

I think the 6 again rule is catching out those teams who didn’t do their homework at training and it is also catching out the older, bigger more physical players. The double whammy is that it is also these guys that seem to throw the most head high tackles. Then we seem to have a whole bunch of clubs that are going through a rebuild, have new coaches, have just sacked their coaches far more than normal. Speed has suddenly become king and a whole heap of first graders are now just second rate. Just imagine if this had happened 5 years back, it would have brought Paul Gallen’s career to a shuddering halt. Other less well known players are suffering the same issue.

big hit!

Bench
The infringement in the ruck rules, and their penalties have only exposed further those teams that have lazy players.

The same teams are good, and the same teams are bad. It's just exposed it more.

There are four sides to a rugby league game. Attack is how you score points, but defending and the transition to and from defence is what it is going to lay the foundation of your football game. This is where the best teams are outstanding, and it requires effort and intensity in areas nuffies aren't watching. Run metres and post contact metres doesn't tell me a story about how good a player is. A lot of these guys lose you the game on the other side of the ball.

Valheru

Coach
Haha I don't know about preferring it over the Provan-Summons Trophy but whenever people tell me that we've won 'nothing' with this current team I ask them what about the JJ Giltinan Shield? My memory of 2020 is a little blurry for various reasons but I could have sworn we had a presentation ceremony and team photo with the shield after our 42-0 win over the Bulldogs in Round 20 at ANZ Stadium. That certainly looked like something we had rightfully earnt A.K.A. 'won'.

There should be more respect for that shield considering it's vast history. Do people realise that before 1982 when the 'Winfield Cup' emerged that the JJ Giltinan Shield was the main trophy that the premiers were awarded? and that the man JJ Giltinan himself founded the sport of Rugby League in Australia.. pretty significant right? JJ Giltinan

So while I want to win the 'big dance' in October, I do not consider winning the JJ Giltinan Shield a triviality like the average RL fan does.
In an era with origin affected games and a draw that doesn't feature all teams playing each other twice, coming first means next to nothing. It doesn't even give you an advantage over 2nd place whom are treated the same as 1st as far as home finals etc.

All that matters in the NRL is finishing top 4 and from there it is how well you play in the finals. That isn't to exclude a 5-8 placed team winning the comp but it hasn't happened yet.

So True, It’s not so much that ‘high tackles have ruined the contest’. It’s that sin bin/send off rulings (as a result of high tackles) are another interpretation that have the potential to help a team get further on top and their opponent further behind. This in an environment where rules have been introduced that make it so much easier for the game balance to tilt in favour there a more dominant side already.
The game that stands out to me where a couple of bins took it out of the reach of a team was that Dragons/Storm game on Magic Weekend. The Dragons looked in it early and after a few bins and a send-off it was as good as done. It might not have impacted the end result but it’s just another element that has the potential to shift the balance of a game.

The jealousy of the Penrith Panthers hand the bullying of us Penrith Panthers fans is based on FAKE NEWS> A mix of tall poppy syndrome & total media beat up here ! A piddling storm in a teacup. It was a nothing incident with a couple of over enthusiastic Panthers being a bit juvenile and dragging Tapine into their celebration huddle. Even Tapine was laughing. There was nothing malicious. No body was hurt. No-one threw any punches and it was all over in a few seconds. Crichton got a fine for being a juvenile dill and the Raiders copped a fine for their official / trainer getting involved with a couple of Panther players. Then we had the Raiders CEO abusing Panthers coach & individual Panthers players via the media ? What other Club CEO does that, and especially a Club with a player history with so many errant Raiders players in recent times ? And somehow this is all construed as Panthers arrogant antics ? Huh ? It must be because these guys are from those elite, arrogance breeding environs of western Sydney and those spoilt suburbs of Mount Druitt and Penrith ? Damn elites !

yobbo84

First Grade
In an era with origin affected games and a draw that doesn't feature all teams playing each other twice, coming first means next to nothing. It doesn't even give you an advantage over 2nd place whom are treated the same as 1st as far as home finals etc.

All that matters in the NRL is finishing top 4 and from there it is how well you play in the finals. That isn't to exclude a 5-8 placed team winning the comp but it hasn't happened yet.
Finish top 4 AND win your first final. Since 2006 the only team to have won the GF after losing week 1 of the finals is the Cowboys. Basically you need that week off to win the competition. Lose, you may still make the GF, but you won't win it (freak 2015 GF aside).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm can win it if they lose one or two big names, not sure panthers can, Storm have better depth. Hopefully both teams are at full strength when they meet so we can see who has the best team.

I think it’s very predictable

30+ margins have tripled from what we normally see

20+ margins have doubled

Even with these stats about upsets, a lot of these are two pretty evenly matched teams, one just happens to be slightly favoured but the bookies

I don’t think those are true ‘upsets’ in the nature of the Broncs beating the Roosters

By my reckoning we’ve only had 9-10 fair dinkum upsets this season

Bad to see the bully, Hooper on 360 continue his hatred of the Penrith Panthers calling the fans salty. Hooper has continued this theme from calling the club Arrogant until Buzz called him out. So now he directs his hatred to us fans, how does Hooper still have a job??? He is just a bully.

Sometimes class is more readily shown in defeat than it is in victory. Ivan showed his class after the tigers loss. I had lost count of how many consecutive games we had won prior to Friday night other than the obvious GF loss.

I never took any of our wins for granted. I’ve supported our club since 1970 so obviously I have much enjoyed the ride we have been on without ever once being condescending to the sides we have beaten during our winning run.

This current season is at the half way point, we have been fortunate to put ourselves in a position to perhaps secure a top four spot. I don’t read into it any more than that, any suggestion we are a sure in for a GF rematch with the Storm is just ridiculous, given how much footy there is yet to be played.

Gould took the reins at Penrith from mid-2011 until 2019, and, while he departed the position nearly two years ago, his fingerprints still remain all over this side. While he has been criticised for his ‘five-year plan,’ and lack of overall on-field success in his tenure, Gus has laid the foundation for this Penrith Panthers side’s current-day success

MugaB

Coach
Gould took the reins at Penrith from mid-2011 until 2019, and, while he departed the position nearly two years ago, his fingerprints still remain all over this side. While he has been criticised for his ‘five-year plan,’ and lack of overall on-field success in his tenure, Gus has laid the foundation for this Penrith Panthers side’s current-day success
Geez talk about cut & paste, straight from the penrith discussion section, geez you must be bored

With the new rule changes that encourage speed and fatigue in league, we’ve now added sin bins and send offs to almost every game too, and it’s just another potential wedge in the contest that puts distance between the two teams. That’s not a good thing in the current environment.

I think go down the NFL and basketball path of ejecting players. That is; they’re gone for foul play, their team is penalised on the field and they lose a bench player but the game in still contested with even numbers. I’m very supportive of punishing players who make dangerous contact but not at the expense of the contest.

Penrith should employ Katlyn Jenner as assistant coach to Ivan Cleary. An Olympic gold medallist in the most gruelling event possible, LGBQT so she ticks the diversity box and we know Katlyn is so desperate to win that she would chop her balls off to get what she wants.

GAZF

First Grade
Penrith should employ Katlyn Jenner as assistant coach to Ivan Cleary. An Olympic gold medallist in the most gruelling event possible, LGBQT so she ticks the diversity box and we know Katlyn is so desperate to win that she would chop her balls off to get what she wants.
She not balled as well. Supercoach in the making.

Latest posts